Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Best website(s) for finding self-catering accommodation?

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Best website(s) for finding self-catering accommodation?

Postby yorkshirelad1 » September 1st, 2022, 11:53 am

Which websites do people recommend for finding self-catering accommodation?

Google searches tends to throw up lots of individual sites and small agencies, although Google does have its own holiday/accommodation searches. But I was wondering if there are any sites that are better than the rest for self-catering and have good coverage. trivago and expedia do have self-catering settings, but are mainly hotels.

(In case it makes a difference, I'm looking for self-catering for two people on the Northumberland coast near Alnmouth/Bamburgh at Christmas and things are unsurprisingly looking a little tight just now!)

TIA

BigB
Lemon Slice

Re: Best website(s) for finding self-catering accommodation?

Postby BigB » September 1st, 2022, 12:02 pm

I include airbnb as a candidate for any trip I want to make not using a hotel.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 1st, 2022, 12:18 pm

I tend to start on Google Maps and search for B&B or Self catering. You get the blue boxes with a price in, but as you zoom in you get little blue dots appearing which are businesses who do not pay enough apprear on the more prominent search.

Otherwise try their local tourism/info / facebook or gumtree sites, often there will be a buy and sell group or a community group you can ask on.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 1st, 2022, 1:40 pm

Try booking.com
https://www.booking.com
after your first search scroll down the left hand side and there is self-catering check box

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 1st, 2022, 2:06 pm

pje16 wrote:Try booking.com
https://www.booking.com
after your first search scroll down the left hand side and there is self-catering check box

Booking.com often allow very late cancellation without penalty. I guess this is because they are geared towards the business market, where plans often change at the last minute.

Whichever booking site you use, consider contacting the chosen establishment directly and ask if they can beat the quoted price and conditions.

Watis

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » September 2nd, 2022, 9:40 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, very helpful. booking.com is proving to be useful in pinning down what I am looking for. FWIW, I found this article on which.co.uk (I have no connection with Which other than as a subscriber)

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/holiday-cottage-company-reviews/article/holiday-cottage-company-reviews-aluxM5N5Bhg4

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 2nd, 2022, 1:49 pm

In the UK you could try some of the larger ones who have been buying up the smaller agencies e.g. sykes, original cottages, blakes, hoseasons etc

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 3rd, 2022, 4:09 pm

In 2018 we stayed in a cottage for two people plus dog in Eglingham a small village between Alnwick and Bamborough. It was a delightful village with the added bonus of a pub/restaurant within easy walking distance. The Cottage was called "The Old Stables" booked through Holiday Cottages .co.uk. Not sure if it's still available but have no problems recommending cottage.

R6

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 3rd, 2022, 4:15 pm

Oops, meant to add that we've used Sykes Cottages on numerous occasions and have always found the accommodation to be of a very high standard and the Sykes staff that we've had contact with have always gone out of their way to be helpful and obliging. As someone who used to rent out holiday accommodation I always try and chat to the owners because some people wouldn't be satisfied if they stayed in Buckingham Palace. Some of the reviews of places we've stayed in bore no resemblance to reality.
We've found that if you're heading for a coastal area you're often better looking 5 to 10 miles inland. Most people want to be within spitting distance of the sea and completely ignore little gems just a short drive away.

R6

Return to “Around the UK”