Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

If you could live anywhere in the UK where would you choose?

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: If you could live anywhere in the UK where would you choose?

Postby csearle » March 19th, 2018, 12:19 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Likewise, doesn't happen in Shropshire unless you consider the landed gentry to be an offshoot of the Mafia (and they are mostly benign)
My then wife, small kids, and in-laws once steam trained northish from near Manchester to a hilly country village where we went for a walk along a footpath. We turned right down a track on fairly open land in the bow of a river instead of left. We were accosted by an armed and aggressive farmer that made it clear we should all f off back to where we came from. Totally unpleasant way of "helping" us back to the footpath. It was a genuine mistake and we weren't traipsing through a field or near fishermen or anything.

So whilst I don't recognize the Mafia like nature of village life I do believe there are some thoroughly nasty landed types. C.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 19th, 2018, 2:46 pm

But most farmers don't own their land, they're tenants simply trying to work it for a living. Veering off a footpath is trespassing, akin a bunch of random strangers appearing in your garden and then claiming they 'sort of have a right to be there'.

ElectronicFur
2 Lemon pips

Postby ElectronicFur » May 4th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for the really insightful and amusing posts.

To update we have accepted an offer on our house, and had an offer accepted on a house in Monmouthshire. This is perfect for us as the location is beautiful, close to the hospitals, and not too far from family in England. We are now very excited to start a new chapter in Wales.

The biggest impact so far was finding out this week that we get the pleasure of paying the new Welsh Land Tax. That was a bit of a surprise as the mortgage broker, bank, and solicitors had all neglected to mention this, and had just listed the usual stamp duty costs, rather than the, in our case, much higher land tax. Our renovation budget is thus somewhat dented before we even started.

Fingers crossed the sale/purchase malarkey all goes through smoothly, and from next month you'll find me active on the building & diy forum :)

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » May 4th, 2018, 2:21 pm

EF, thanks for starting a very interesting thread. Any chance of you indicating where you are moving from?

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » May 4th, 2018, 3:03 pm

I have come to the conclusion that Mrs H and I live in the ideal location for us.

This came home to me again yesterday when staying in a very nice cottage on the edge of the Cotswolds. We'd paid in advance for three nights and had met friends for lunch, visited Rousham Gardens, Kelmscott Manor and Buscot Park (super gardens and house). After the second night, I got bored and asked my wife if she wanted to go home early. The thought of sitting in our own garden and strolling round our own village was just too attractive, so we packed up and drove back to Hampshire.

Today it has been bliss - home sweet home!

regards

Howard

PS one of the hazards of the Cotswolds was the number of horrendous potholes on the A and B roads. Having the now commonplace low profile tyres it was essential to keep swerving to avoid two or three inch-deep potholes in the middle of the carriageway. Even at relatively low speeds hitting one would have damaged a tyre. We must have avoided literally hundreds in two days of driving.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 4th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Howard wrote:PS one of the hazards of the Cotswolds was the number of horrendous potholes on the A and B roads. Having the now commonplace low profile tyres it was essential to keep swerving to avoid two or three inch-deep potholes in the middle of the carriageway. Even at relatively low speeds hitting one would have damaged a tyre. We must have avoided literally hundreds in two days of driving.

Ah yes, the potholes. I've never known a pothole season like this one down in south Gloucestershire/western Cotswolds. The 44 tonners are really chewing up the twisty Fosseway, which was designed for carts and the occasional Roman legion, and some of which has never had any proper foundations. :lol: And I think the councils in Gloucs and Wilts have been badly squeezed for road maintenance cash - well, either that, or they've just decided to see how long they can go without being forced to do anything? I'm quite surprised that anybody still dares to ride a motorbike in Clarkson/Hammond country. I'm not sure I would, or not for fun anyway.

Mind you, it's easy to forget how harsh and wet the winters can be in such a lovely part of England - the Cotswold hills are ideally placed to scoop up the Atlantic weather and scrape all the water out of every cloud that comes along. The Mendips likewise, but those are less heavily populated and don't get the enormous tourist traffic to cope with.

Hampshire's nice, and leafy too, but golly, it's a bit flat by comparison. ;)

BJ

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » May 4th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Howard wrote:I have come to the conclusion that Mrs H and I live in the ideal location for us.

regards

Howard%

PS one of the hazards of the Cotswolds was the number of horrendous potholes on the A and B roads. Having the now commonplace low profile tyres it was essential to keep swerving to avoid two or three inch-deep potholes in the middle of the carriageway. Even at relatively low speeds hitting one would have damaged a tyre. We must have avoided literally hundreds in two days of driving.

Ha ha!

Around here we call it Potholeshire. I live in Puddletown… :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 5th, 2018, 8:08 am

tea42 wrote:Around here we call it Potholeshire. I live in Puddletown… :lol:

Thass Durzetshire, innit? With a couple of Piddles upstream from you. And a pervasive whiff of it, though more bovine than human. When did the Cotswolds extend so far south?

When I lived in Bath, I used to say we should rename it "Shower".

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » May 5th, 2018, 2:57 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
tea42 wrote:Around here we call it Potholeshire. I live in Puddletown… :lol:

Thass Durzetshire, innit? With a couple of Piddles upstream from you. And a pervasive whiff of it, though more bovine than human. When did the Cotswolds extend so far south?

When I lived in Bath, I used to say we should rename it "Shower".

I am aware that there is another Puddletown in Dorzet, this ones in S Oxon.. Oxon = Potholeshire.

ElectronicFur
2 Lemon pips

Postby ElectronicFur » May 9th, 2018, 2:02 pm

tea42 wrote:EF, thanks for starting a very interesting thread. Any chance of you indicating where you are moving from?

Moving from Surrey.

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » May 10th, 2018, 11:33 am

I moved from Cheshire to North East Fife last year - St Andrews

Love it here - I came here as a student in '88 and always wanted to return. I've been working from home since '15 and should have done it before. Dundee is not far away and has Nine Wells hospital. The weather here is pretty good, it's cold (must be, on average, a degree colder than Cheshire was) but it's one of the driest and sunniest parts of Scotland. Schools are pretty good.

Paying more tax of course!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 10th, 2018, 12:02 pm

wheypat wrote:I moved from Cheshire to North East Fife last year - St Andrews

Love it here - I came here as a student in '88 and always wanted to return. I've been working from home since '15 and should have done it before. Dundee is not far away and has Nine Wells hospital. The weather here is pretty good, it's cold (must be, on average, a degree colder than Cheshire was) but it's one of the driest and sunniest parts of Scotland. Schools are pretty good.

Actually the Hospital is called Ninewells but no matter. It has a huge financial deficit but so far it does not seem to be affecting the service provided. I know the area well.

The biggest drawback to St Andrews (I had lunch there last week) is the access to it. Unless approaching from the Tay Bridge, I have always found Fife difficult. On the broader issues, the biggest general problem is the SNP Government and its petty mindedness on many issues.

Dod

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » May 10th, 2018, 2:35 pm

Dod101 wrote:
wheypat wrote:I moved from Cheshire to North East Fife last year - St Andrews

Actually the Hospital is called Ninewells but no matter. It has a huge financial deficit but so far it does not seem to be affecting the service provided. I know the area well.

The biggest drawback to St Andrews (I had lunch there last week) is the access to it. Unless approaching from the Tay Bridge, I have always found Fife difficult. On the broader issues, the biggest general problem is the SNP Government and its petty mindedness on many issues.

Dod

I don't find it that bad to get to. From the south it's all motorway/dual carriageway now from the Queensferry crossing to north of Glenrothes and then it's quiet roads into town. Edinburgh airport is just over an hour which is the other main place I need to get to, so it's OK.

I love it anyway. Can't beat the beaches

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 10th, 2018, 4:03 pm

I am not knocking it and I am glad you enjoy St Andrews. My daughter has a holiday house at Elie and I suspect that would probably be my preference, but again approaching from the North West I find it a real pain to get to.

Dod

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » May 12th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Paultry wrote:It is true, Bath has many pleasant qualities, but commuter traffic is now becoming overwhelming.

I live in Bath and I do feel it has 'jumped the shark' as a place to live, parking issues, overcrowding in the centre, litter, poor water quality, poor air quality and a surprising amount of noise pollution: ambulance sirens and out of tune church bells during the day, general traffic noise, and then drunk people shouting at night.
I stayed with some friends in London recently and was surprised how quiet it is there.
The council are about to double all the parking charges next month so we will see what effect that has.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 14th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Lanark wrote:
Paultry wrote:It is true, Bath has many pleasant qualities, but commuter traffic is now becoming overwhelming.

I live in Bath and I do feel it has 'jumped the shark' as a place to live, parking issues, overcrowding in the centre, litter, poor water quality, poor air quality and a surprising amount of noise pollution: ambulance sirens and out of tune church bells during the day, general traffic noise, and then drunk people shouting at night.

I've lived around Bath for nearly forty years now, but living in the city centre would drive me crazy. Noise, traffic, parking. :roll: Fortunately we live in one of the pleasant outlying villages, which means that you get the best of most worlds as long as you don't need a mobile phone signal that works. (We can't even get 2G on a reliable basis.) And they tell me that parts of Bath itself can't get DAB radio because the famous seven hills block the line-of-sight reception.....

The surrounding hills are also part of the traffic problem. In a sane world, they'd have built a bypass round Bath fifty years ago, but because of the hills they don't have anywhere to run the roads. So you get massive lorries mixing it in town with the tourist traffic, and the overloaded roads just can't cope. This morning I had to drive six miles from the Wiltshire fringes to Weston in the west. Took me an hour and a half. ;) And they keep on planning to put an (essential) park and ride on the east of the city, but the eco-nimbys keep on killing the idea. Grrrr. :evil:

OTOH, Bath itself is still a delightful place. Wander down Southgate or Milsom Street, and there are thousands of people out there having a nice time. And the bars and restaurants and arts are excellent. I can't ever remember anywhere else that's come anywhere close.

BJ

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » February 11th, 2020, 12:27 am

Depends on your priority’s and do you know what you like and what you don’t like.

Topsham in East Devon has a lot going for it and that’s why we moved here about 5 years ago and haven’t regretted anything about the move. The Royal Exeter and Devon hospital is VG for Cancer with Plymouth VG for Heart decease, the temperature is VG even for the West Country. I could go on the only way is to try a place a few times and stay in different areas that way you will get a good idea on the part you like most.

Good luck and don’t rush your final choice.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 11th, 2020, 8:38 am

Stan wrote: The Royal Exeter and Devon hospital is VG for Cancer with Plymouth VG for Heart decease

A strong contender for Typo of the Year :D

--kiloran

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » February 11th, 2020, 8:59 am

ElectronicFur wrote:Thanks to everyone for the really insightful and amusing posts.

To update we have accepted an offer on our house, and had an offer accepted on a house in Monmouthshire. This is perfect for us as the location is beautiful, close to the hospitals, and not too far from family in England. We are now very excited to start a new chapter in Wales.

The biggest impact so far was finding out this week that we get the pleasure of paying the new Welsh Land Tax. That was a bit of a surprise as the mortgage broker, bank, and solicitors had all neglected to mention this, and had just listed the usual stamp duty costs, rather than the, in our case, much higher land tax. Our renovation budget is thus somewhat dented before we even started.

Fingers crossed the sale/purchase malarkey all goes through smoothly, and from next month you'll find me active on the building & diy forum :)

For the benefit of later posters the original poster has already had an offer accepted on a house in Monmouthshire - a very good choice in my opinion. However, mention is made of the Welsh Land Tax. Just to make it clear this tax is instead of conventional stamp duty and not in addition to that abominable tax.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » February 11th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Since my posts in May 2018 my wife became very ill and we moved to Mid Devon buying a house to live with our daughter. We bought an old 6 bed Mansion. Houses are cheap here. A few miles away is Topsham which is an appealing place and a very old friend has just moved into a 3 bed new build on its fringes. When I visited him I was appalled. Its one of those modern houses where apart from the halway the ground floor consists of just one large room which is a sitting room dining room and kitchen combined. It looks out on a tiny patch of garden overlooked by 4 other houses and it cost about the same as our 4500 square foot mansion with a 1/4 acre of nice garden with a coachouse and stables. Admittingly our energy bill is just short of 3 grand and we will be faced with fairly expensive maintenence bills whereas my pals well insulated place with solar panels will cost very little to run...but, its near Topsham....and IKEA although its miles from any shop, Our nearest shops are a kebab shop, a Chinese and a Pizza shop and a small Coop, all within 150m. The church is 50m, post office is 75m, the ironmonger 60m, Aldi is 3 minutes walk, Tesco Superstore is 4. I am still trying to figure out who has the best buy?

Location, location, location! Depends on your priorities I guess?

Return to “Around the UK”