Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

If you could live anywhere in the UK where would you choose?

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
Stan
2 Lemon pips

Re: If you could live anywhere in the UK where would you choose?

Postby Stan » February 12th, 2020, 10:54 pm

kiloran wrote:
Stan wrote: The Royal Exeter and Devon hospital is VG for Cancer with Plymouth VG for Heart decease

A strong contender for Typo of the Year :D

--kiloran

Ah you spotted my deliberate mistake, well done kiloran :D

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 12th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Try the East Riding of Yorkshire

Look at the villages (which vary in price) or the main towns would be Driffield & Beverley. Don't do the coastal towns though. Some of the villages and towns to the East of Hull are good value for money.

Beverley often gets voted best value for money for houses.

Sheffield is an hour away. Doncaster is 45 minutes and Leeds is just over an hour. Wakefield is 3/4's of an hour.

AiYn'U

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 13th, 2020, 8:27 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Try the East Riding of Yorkshire

Look at the villages (which vary in price) or the main towns would be Driffield & Beverley. Don't do the coastal towns though. Some of the villages and towns to the East of Hull are good value for money.

Sheffield is an hour away. Doncaster is 45 minutes and Leeds is just over an hour. Wakefield is 3/4's of an hour.

AiYn'U

York is 30 mins away!

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » February 13th, 2020, 10:36 am

AiYn'U

The discussion is about "If you could live anywhere..." so by definition, somewhere that's 'good value' implies it's not universally popular, including with those who have money and the means to live elsewhere. One could therefore reasonably conclude it does not sit well with the idea of "If you could live anywhere..."

Add to that that the best thing about this area is how quickly you can get somewhere else, and I'm even less sold on it.

Having had what some would call two careers prior to retiring, both of which (regrettably) took me to the Hull and Beverley area for work, I'd more likely add them to a post "If you could avoid living anywhere in the UK...".

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 13th, 2020, 6:43 pm

BrummieDave wrote:The discussion is about "If you could live anywhere..." so by definition, somewhere that's 'good value' implies it's not universally popular, including with those who have money and the means to live elsewhere. One could therefore reasonably conclude it does not sit well with the idea of "If you could live anywhere..."

I don't think that's a remotely reasonable conclusion. The question is entirely subjective - "if you could live anywhere", not "if the average person could live anywhere", so whether or not a place is "universally popular" is irrelevant.

Your argument would lead to the conclusion that anyone answering the question should logically say that they would want to live in the most expensive parts of London, simply because that's where the most expensive property is. But I certainly wouldn't want to, and I would imagine that a very large proportion of the population wouldn't want to live in London at all, even if you offered them a £10m penthouse in Belgravia.

Many people have a strong loyalty to the area where they were raised, and Yorkshire residents in particular are well known for this. It would therefore be an entirely reasonable answer for a Fool living in Yorkshire to say that he would choose to live in Beverley - or even (unlikely though it sounds to me) Hull - rather than anywhere outside Yorkshire.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » February 13th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
BrummieDave wrote:The discussion is about "If you could live anywhere..." so by definition, somewhere that's 'good value' implies it's not universally popular, including with those who have money and the means to live elsewhere. One could therefore reasonably conclude it does not sit well with the idea of "If you could live anywhere..."

I don't think that's a remotely reasonable conclusion. The question is entirely subjective - "if you could live anywhere", not "if the average person could live anywhere", so whether or not a place is "universally popular" is irrelevant.

Your argument would lead to the conclusion that anyone answering the question should logically say that they would want to live in the most expensive parts of London, simply because that's where the most expensive property is. But I certainly wouldn't want to, and I would imagine that a very large proportion of the population wouldn't want to live in London at all, even if you offered them a £10m penthouse in Belgravia.

Many people have a strong loyalty to the area where they were raised, and Yorkshire residents in particular are well known for this. It would therefore be an entirely reasonable answer for a Fool living in Yorkshire to say that he would choose to live in Beverley - or even (unlikely though it sounds to me) Hull - rather than anywhere outside Yorkshire.

I don't want to be greedy. Would you offer me the £10m penthouse just for a week every June? It would be nice for an early summer break. ;)

regards

Howard

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 13th, 2020, 7:19 pm

redsturgeon wrote:

AiYn'U

York is 30 mins away!

Sorry I wish it was ... it's 30 miles but about an hour by car. I should also point out that Murder Hell (Meadow Hall) is just over an hour away. Lincoln is an hour away too. Leeds is just over an hour and Manchester Airport just over two hours. East Midlands Airport is under 2hrs and there's also Robin Hood Airport about an hour away (Ex RAF Finningley). There's great access to the Wolds and Pennines too.

AiYn'U

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 13th, 2020, 7:29 pm

BrummieDave wrote:

AiYn'U

The discussion is about "If you could live anywhere..." so by definition, somewhere that's 'good value' implies it's not universally popular, including with those who have money and the means to live elsewhere. One could therefore reasonably conclude it does not sit well with the idea of "If you could live anywhere..."

Add to that that the best thing about this area is how quickly you can get somewhere else, and I'm even less sold on it.

Having had what some would call two careers prior to retiring, both of which (regrettably) took me to the Hull and Beverley area for work, I'd more likely add them to a post "If you could avoid living anywhere in the UK...".

There are parts of Hull that suffer great social and economic issues. I was in London yesterday and witnessed similar. There are also some extremely affluent villages to the West of Hull. I'm not at liberty to be precise but I do know of three of the countries top 50 richest people who have homes in the East Riding. Thank you for your candid thoughts regarding the area I will, of course, waste no time in reading them.

AiYn'U

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 13th, 2020, 7:56 pm

There is also a nice little village just to the north of Hull, Beverley, which I would not mind living in if little Nicola Sturgeon's dreams come true. OTOH, there are parts of the Northumberland coast that I would quite like.

Dod

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » February 13th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:

Well, I would definitely rather not live in Yorkshire, thank you. Like most people on here I hope, the place I would most like to live in the UK is where I live. Why else would I be here?

Who knows where any/many of us are, as usernames can be as misleading as they are informative. I used to spend a great deal of time in Waddington (just outside Clitheroe to those not fortunate to have visited), spending many an evening in the Lower Buck (Timothy Taylors) and Higher Buck, Sunday lunch at The Parkers Arms at Newton or The Hark to Bounty at Slaidburn (with its hidden courtroom), Saturday evenings in The Assheton Arms in pretty Downham, the odd pint with a one time famous comedian at The Sun in Chipping, and hiking around Dunsop Bridge, the Trough, and Longridge Fell, and mountain biking in Slaidburn Forest. Add to that a very good wine merchant, excellent schools, top end butchers, and ghost walks with Simon looking for Peg O'Nell, and Clitheroe takes some beating. ;)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 13th, 2020, 8:58 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Who knows where any/many of us are, as usernames can be as misleading as they are informative. I used to spend a great deal of time in Waddington (just outside Clitheroe to those not fortunate to have visited), spending many an evening in the Lower Buck (Timothy Taylors) and Higher Buck, Sunday lunch at The Parkers Arms at Newton or The Hark to Bounty at Slaidburn (with its hidden courtroom), Saturday evenings in The Assheton Arms in pretty Downham, the odd pint with a one time famous comedian at The Sun in Chipping, and hiking around Dunsop Bridge, the Trough, and Longridge Fell, and mountain biking in Slaidburn Forest. Add to that a very good wine merchant, excellent schools, top end butchers, and ghost walks with Simon looking for Peg O'Nell, and Clitheroe takes some beating. ;)

Can't argue with that! :D

The Waddy Arms is my local, though you may have known it as The Sun, and on a summer's afternoon I'm often to be found on one of the chairs at the front. In fact, my personal definition of the first day of Spring is when I can sit there comfortably in shirt sleeves. The earliest I ever achieved it was 19 February, a few years ago, so I'm counting the days!

I hope this brings back some happy memories - https://www.waddingtonarms.co.uk/

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 13th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:There is also a nice little village just to the north of Hull, Beverley, which I would not mind living in if little Nicola Sturgeon's dreams come true. OTOH, there are parts of the Northumberland coast that I would quite like.

Dod

A mate of mine was at Hull and I've been there a few times - it's not architecturally lovely but I found the locals to be mostly friendly, the pubs were good, and some of the women were lovely (fair bit of Viking/Scandinavian blood around those parts....)
I'd rather live in Hull than a lot of towns in the south east (Luton, Watford, Croydon...)

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » February 13th, 2020, 11:05 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Can't argue with that! :D

The Waddy Arms is my local, though you may have known it as The Sun, and on a summer's afternoon I'm often to be found on one of the chairs at the front. In fact, my personal definition of the first day of Spring is when I can sit there comfortably in shirt sleeves. The earliest I ever achieved it was 19 February, a few years ago, so I'm counting the days!

I hope this brings back some happy memories - https://www.waddingtonarms.co.uk/

Last time I was there I think it was a Chinese Restaurant! :o

I have a family relationship with Waddow Hall.

Anyway, we stray OT a little. No more Waddington chat. Nice place to live. But I'm elsewhere.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » February 14th, 2020, 3:41 am

As people can live anywhere, what you see is in house prices and salaries is the cumulative choices of people moderated by their family and friend networks. "If you could live anywhere" means removing constraints, so you might be rich, able to work from home, have no caring commitments, no family ties and be able to make friends easily.

I'm FIRE and single, so have fewer constraints, but am stuck in London until Mum dies. Then I could go anywhere, with the big constraint of my social network (I lived in Boulder, CO for 2 years, glorious place to live, but their lack left me lonely and deeply depressed), so its likely to be Reading, not because its lovely, but because its best for seeing my friends.

Pragmatic answer as you get old, live on the bus route from the town centre to the hospital in the place your least flakey child lives.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 14th, 2020, 9:27 am

I'm out in Reading tonight, you can buy me a pint :)
It's not a bad place if you avoid the dodgy bits (Oxford Rd etc)- good shopping, a few music venues and good pubs
I'd be quite happy in Caversham Heights , and some of the surrounding villages are pretty pleasant

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 15th, 2020, 1:25 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Yes, a mate of mine used to live in Romsey - nice place.
Other random pleasant towns I have experience of;
Farnham, Surrey (3 miles to Aldershot, ~ 10 miles to Guildford)
Woodbridge, Suffolk (<10 miles into central Ipswich)

When I escape work i'm moving back home to Shropshire, which suits me. Herefordshire and parts of Worcestershire are also very nice.

I concur with Woodbridge. It's a really lovely small town with lots going on, for its size. I was seriously thinking of living there as it's only an hour or so from London which contains most of my interest in life. However, one point to note, and what put me off, was the its lousy if you into walking. The main route is either up the river, or down it and there a few footpaths in what is mostly an agricultural landscape. But then, I;m spoilt living near the Surrey Hills.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 15th, 2020, 1:40 pm

The area to the east is supposed to be nice - the Suffolk coast AONB. Rendlesham, Sutton Heath, and the bleak but interesting coast around Orford Ness
(never managed to see much as I was stuck down the road in Martlesham)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 15th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Moderator Message:
I have moved the off topic USA stuff to here

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21812

Please stay on topic here

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » February 18th, 2020, 8:56 am

Nowt wrong with God's Own County

Return to “Around the UK”