Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

If you could live anywhere in the UK where would you choose?

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
BreakoutBoy
2 Lemon pips

Re: If you could live anywhere in the UK where would you choose?

Postby BreakoutBoy » August 1st, 2017, 1:43 pm

I have spent years living in various places around Britain mainly along the M4 corridor. I am currently overseas but will return in a year. Here is a brief roundup, in vague date order.

I loved living in the Forest of Dean, but it's a bit pricey if you need to be near the M48 end. The whole county of Gwent has superb countryside, as long as you ignore the somewhat charmless beer-soaked industrial conurbation that is Newport. The city of Newport has however been good to me, the locals are top drawer.

I very much like the city of Norwich, but you need to be prepared to give up hilly landscapes to live there. Coast is nice and unspoiled round there though. Bit far from London but I am not tied to the City so it's ok. This would be my personal choice for a base. Property is a sensible level. But that city is just the UKs prettiest and most liveable. Best (driest) weather too.

Bristol is an amazing city, but crazy money for anything liveable. Bags of jobs and good transport links anywhere from here. Would far rather be on the Welsh side of the Severn bridge, but not past the Newport tunnels, just on cost and space grounds.

Swindon- Great transport links, a small bit of culture, but living here was mostly a matter of convenience. Though if you like shopping, the town centre is well equipped.

Didcot- never again. Transport links great but precious little else to recommend it. Would quit rather than live there again.

Abingdon- would live again, great little town but housing somewhat expensive. River Thames absolutely made the place though.

Oxford: agree traffic a nightmare. House prices absolutely off the scale. Not even worth considering unless working there in my opinion due to prohibitive housing costs.

Frome/Somerset: Superb little town,enjoyed a great standard of living at very reasonable price here. Countryside quite lovely. Would live again.

Cardiff: like Bristol with loads of students and culture. The Bay is a big feature and facilitates a lot of watery fun. Would certainly live again. Housing fairly cheap vs Bristol, incredibly cheap vs London. Brecon Beacons nearby for those country walks!

Swansea: loved living here: really old world kind of town, sometimes felt like I was in the Fifties here, in a good way. The Gower beaches, clean sea air, Swansea Bay, and all the cheap housing you could wish for are yours, if you can find a job. Great mountain biking on tap in the hills behind the town. Bit far from London though!

Further west than that : cheap, beautiful countryside but no jobs and transport sucks. Only good for farmers, surf bums, hippies and retirees.

Longtermyieldman
Lemon Pip

Postby Longtermyieldman » August 1st, 2017, 5:34 pm

Lootman wrote:
Longtermyieldman wrote:Thanks Lootman. Re the rail card, what type of card do you recommend?

Whichever one you qualify for, as they all have conditions and qualification criteria.

I have a senior rail care because I am over 60.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I haven't reached the qualifying age for the senior card but anyone can but a Network Railcard. Previously I'd thought these were for London's commuter hinterlands, where I live currently, but turns out the map ( http://www.network-railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/files/Map.pdf) includes points as far south west as Exeter and Bournemouth, both of which I'm considering, and Weymouth, which hasn't been on my list. This could make quite a difference in tipping my preferences beyond the coastal towns of East and West Sussex toward Dorset and Devon.

Longtermyieldman
Lemon Pip

Postby Longtermyieldman » August 1st, 2017, 5:36 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
tea42 wrote:What I dislike about Exeter is the traffic, I always find it rather intimidating there. Otherwise it's a nice place. The Cosy Club is a nice place for a lunch.

I live in what looks like a very nondescript village 5 miles from a big town. It has everything for day to day needs and is set in lovely countryside. A garage, a decent small supermarket, proper butcher, post office, vet, health centre, dentist, brown coated ironmonger, newsagent, chemist, cash machines, but no bank!
We see lots of walkers and cyclists from London at the weekend. The community spirit is something you won't find in large town's or cities, lots of clubs and activities. Primary and Secondary schools, library and village hall, couple of pubs, several restaurants. I hardly ever drive to the town. Being retired I have a bus pass, it takes about 25 minutes with no cost or parking hassle. A summer alternative is to go by bike. I can be in London by rail in just over an hour and at a large international airport in under an hour. There are several cinemas and a theatre within half an hour or less travelling. We have a village theatre club and we regularly go to shows in London and other local towns. One lady who moved here looked for 2 years with her scoresheet of 20 points, the highest she scored was 14 until she racked up all 20 here. It's possible to live a very full life without living in a large town or city. My advice would be to make a checklist like she did and check places out. Having found this place 40 years ago I wouldn't want to leave it, it's too convenient.

It must be Midsomer! ;)

John

Perhaps, except that he or she made no mention of property prices being low as a result of the high homicide rate :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 2nd, 2017, 10:03 am

Longtermyieldman wrote:Thanks, that's really helpful. I haven't reached the qualifying age for the senior card but anyone can but a Network Railcard. Previously I'd thought these were for London's commuter hinterlands, where I live currently, but turns out the map ( http://www.network-railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/files/Map.pdf) includes points as far south west as Exeter and Bournemouth, both of which I'm considering, and Weymouth, which hasn't been on my list. This could make quite a difference in tipping my preferences beyond the coastal towns of East and West Sussex toward Dorset and Devon.

Exeter is indeed the border between southeast England and, erm, "outer" England.

You can see it in many ways. Southeast economy. Southeast housing. Southeast transport: the end of the M5, and the end of fast trains (they're excruciatingly slow west of Exeter). The railcard just reflects reality.

WessexBoy
Lemon Pip

Postby WessexBoy » November 10th, 2017, 10:16 am

Glad that no one mentioned Edinburgh, I like to think that it's a secret - admitting that we do seem to get quite a few visitors, not only those who come to spend lots of money as tourists but also friends that discover that is where we live ...

However, I say that before the winter sets in, and the days shorten with cold and damp. Nice and sunny today, although a bit fresh.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 10th, 2017, 10:37 am

I've never been to Scotland ! Something I'll have to rectify.

WessexBoy
Lemon Pip

Postby WessexBoy » November 10th, 2017, 11:12 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I've never been to Scotland ! Something I'll have to rectify.

Depends what you enjoy. Hogmany and the August Festival(s) are very popular and Edinburgh gets very busy - it has lots of hotels, guest houses and B&Bs but these book early. September is suddenly very quiet, so maybe best if you enjoy interesting cities without too much buzz of people.

late May (& June) are good months to visit the Highlands and the Islands, as weather is kinder (but can change) and its before the midges which bite from July through to September.

Orkney Islands are amazing in June/July - long days, big skies and lots to see and enjoy.

Train ride up the East Coast from Newcastle has great views along the coast - York and Durham being good stopping off points if you have the time.

The Bridges across the Forth, East Neuk of Fife with its fishing villages.

The West Highland Line is also a classic rail experience. So too West Highland Way with the walking, 93 miles that takes planning and time.

But don't tell everyone ...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 10th, 2017, 11:34 am

I rather fancy Skara Brae (sp?)
Highlands, Fyne Brewery, Edinburgh, Speyside (although I'm not a huge Scotch fan, preferring Irish, Bourbon, and Japanese!!)

WessexBoy
Lemon Pip

Postby WessexBoy » November 10th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Skara Brae is well worth the visit, although now a bit more protected than when I first visited. Layers upon layers of history in the Orkneys, with opportunity to dive the wrecks of the German High Seas Fleet in Scapa Flow, or go scalloping - or maybe settle for the museum at Stromness and a plate of scallops and blackpudding at Beneth'ill Cafe (Hoy) or a seafood platter at the Skerries.

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » November 12th, 2017, 10:30 am

+1 for Edinburgh. Our daughter lives in Portobello, a stones throw from the Prom. Edinburgh Leisure has made a great job of refurbishing the Swimming Baths and it has one of the few Turkish Baths that are left. There are lots of great pubs and eating places including an exceptional Tapas bar, and the area has a slightly Bohemian air.

We visit several times a year and there have been murmurings from my wife about moving there. I maintain a diplomatic silence as we live in Poole and I've become a bit of a "Soft Southern Jesse".
I did suggest, tongue in cheek, that perhaps she could move there and I could visit from time to time. For some reason that didn't go down too well and it took me severals weeks to shovel the snow off the stairs.

WessexBoy
Lemon Pip

Postby WessexBoy » November 13th, 2017, 1:12 pm

I recall the open air swimming pool, now demolished. What's the name of the Tapas Bar?

skewwy

Postby skewwy » November 13th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Very enjoyable read, always great to hear about different areas.

Sounds like I live close to one or two others here and I found out recently that my village is unique in the Country, as it is believed to be closer to three different Cities than any other place in the Country. (as afar as I recall , 11 miles) .... ! ..??

I would give another shout to the Forest of Dean as somewhere to consider for a change of lifestyle, good prices and soon to be very easy to connect to South West (i.e. Bristol) when the bridge toll goes.

Frome has been mentioned and is another area is also improving all the time as did not have a great local reputation historically. Great rural lifestyle around there.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 13th, 2017, 2:12 pm

I've been through Frome a few times, looks nice on streetview. There's a gig venue there which has some good bands on ocasionally
http://www.cheeseandgrain.com/
Foo Fighters in Frome ???!!!!

skewwy

Postby skewwy » November 13th, 2017, 2:28 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I've been through Frome a few times, looks nice on streetview. There's a gig venue there which has some good bands on ocasionally
http://www.cheeseandgrain.com/
Foo Fighters in Frome ???!!!!

ah yes, the famous 'secret' gig they did to announce playing at Glasto. I know a few who pitched up and managed to get in.

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » November 13th, 2017, 2:31 pm

WessexBoy wrote:I recall the open air swimming pool, now demolished. What's the name of the Tapas Bar?

Malvorosa on the High Street. Very popular so it pays to book. ( I posted a longer reply but it vanished into the ether )

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » November 22nd, 2017, 11:35 pm

Another one for Edinburgh, to a degree.

Whilst I have lived here most of my life its charms have more recently begun to fade, whilst everyone thinks about the attractions and eating out (plenty of choice) reality is that really you do not use these enough to justify the traffic, pot holes, and ability of the council to fit speed bumps everywhere, coupled with our recent multitude of 20mph streets.

When younger yes, great city, as I age a bit I more yearn for a quieter area, currently Peebles tops the list; close enough to zoom in to Edinburgh, far enough that there is decent trout fishing in abundance (and the fishing is cheap). The other alternative is somewhere down the reopened border railway corridor.

However expect we will wait a few years as the idea of commuting (even if these days only three days a week) really does not appeal.

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » December 1st, 2017, 11:03 am

Most villages, unfortunately, have a kind of local 'hard man' and Mafia and extortion is frequently part of the cost of living there.

This used to be mitigated to an extent by the local 'bobby' who no longer exists.

Also there are often annual invasions by 'travellers' who burglarise empty properties making holidays during certain months very unwise.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 1st, 2017, 11:23 am

Stonge wrote:Most villages, unfortunately, have a kind of local 'hard man' and Mafia and extortion is frequently part of the cost of living there.

This used to be mitigated to an extent by the local 'bobby' who no longer exists.

Also there are often annual invasions by 'travellers' who burglarise empty properties making holidays during certain months very unwise.

Really?

This is the UK we are talking about is it?

I have lived in several villages as have my family and all of my immediate family still live in villages but what you describe is alien to my experience.

The villages I have direct experience of cover, the Home Counties, West Midlands, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire.

How many villages do you know where this exists?

John

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 1st, 2017, 11:25 am

Likewise, doesn't happen in Shropshire unless you consider the landed gentry to be an offshoot of the Mafia (and they are mostly benign)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 1st, 2017, 1:19 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Likewise, doesn't happen in Shropshire ...

Likewise Gloucestershire, Hertfordshire nor Northumberland IME. I wonder where this 'rural mafia' exists?

Return to “Around the UK”