Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Sunbury-On-Thames/Upper Halliford to The Oval

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
didds
Lemon Half

Sunbury-On-Thames/Upper Halliford to The Oval

Postby didds » August 14th, 2017, 5:55 pm

On Thursday I'm going from our office in Sunbury (near to Upper halliford Rail station) to the Oval for a T20 game, meeting friends there. I actually live in Wilsthire and have no idea about how public transport "works" around there.

The obvious (to me!) solution seems to be a train from upper halliford to Vauxhall. Its a slow service taking an hour and ten minutes. aq colleague suggested going to Feltham where its only a circa 30 minute train journey. The issue os of course getting from office to Feltham - I'll have our capervan with me but have no diea how easy it is

1) to drive to feltham
2) park at Feltham
3) how safe my vehicle will be there

There are hints at public buses and "and the free BP shuttle bus to feltham" . It strikes me that why would BP put on a free shuttle bus for "anybody" to use?

Feltham rail station is about a 3 mile walk / circa 1 hour walk so is for the terms of this not feasible. I'd rather prefer to get back to the campervan afterwards either to drive back to Wiltshire or sleep over in it (in the company car park - its fine and Ok with them)

the reason given for not using Upper halliford is "The Halliford train is a bit of a disaster at the moment, so it takes a long time." So I am not sure whether that means the published schedule is a figment of an imagination, or it is just a long slow journey (70 minutes). I can check this with colleagues tomorrow but it struck me that that TLF is a jolly helpful place.

Any ideas?

didds

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Sunbury-On-Thames/Upper Halliford to The Oval

Postby Alaric » August 14th, 2017, 7:30 pm

didds wrote:Any ideas?

National Rail Enquiries confirms the 70 minutes and the train seems to stop at every station(and there are a lot of them).

Also to the point it warns

Waterloo & South West Upgrade work affects South West Trains, longer journey times and busy trains
Warning of extended queueing times on South West Trains network due to major engineering work
Potential queue time to board a train at Vauxhall (partially closed, use Waterloo for connections) is 30 minutes

It gives the same warning for the Feltham to Vauxhall service.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » August 14th, 2017, 10:39 pm

10 minute drive to Walton on Thames station where there is a small car park. Timing depends on time of day. Last time I was there some years ago there was free parking in surrounding streets. Then 45 mins to Waterloo, is worth a look.

What do your workmates do?

DM

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 15th, 2017, 10:46 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:10 minute drive to Walton on Thames station where there is a small car park. Timing depends on time of day. Last time I was there some years ago there was free parking in surrounding streets. Then 45 mins to Waterloo, is worth a look.

DM

My workmates on this occassion are working from home and going to the Oval from there, or cycle to Feltham first etc etc etc

Im somewhat loath to leave my vehicle (a campervan) on streets I know nothing about TBH.

TBH its become a boit of a logistical nightmare and I'm wishing now I hadn't said I'd go.

Is that W-o-T car park open all night or does it clsoe at some stupidly early time?

didds

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » August 15th, 2017, 11:08 am

didds wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:10 minute drive to Walton on Thames station where there is a small car park. Timing depends on time of day. Last time I was there some years ago there was free parking in surrounding streets. Then 45 mins to Waterloo, is worth a look.

DM

My workmates on this occassion are working from home and going to the Oval from there, or cycle to Feltham first etc etc etc

Im somewhat loath to leave my vehicle (a campervan) on streets I know nothing about TBH.

TBH its become a boit of a logistical nightmare and I'm wishing now I hadn't said I'd go.

Is that W-o-T car park open all night or does it clsoe at some stupidly early time?

didds

Details here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/wal/details.html

WOT station is in a very safe area I would say, but things can happen anywhere. There was an infamous abduction there 15 years ago.

DM

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 15th, 2017, 11:45 am

didds wrote:The obvious (to me!) solution seems to be a train from upper halliford to Vauxhall.

Seems the obvious solution to me too.

Scott.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 15th, 2017, 11:49 am

swill453 wrote:Seems the obvious solution to me too.

Unless you actually need to call in at the workplace, the other solution is to park at a local station and take the train to Paddington or Waterloo.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 15th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Wow...the train from Winchester to Waterloo takes less time than from Upper Halliford!

John

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 15th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Alaric wrote:
swill453 wrote:Seems the obvious solution to me too.

Unless you actually need to call in at the workplace, the other solution is to park at a local station and take the train to Paddington or Waterloo.

I'm travelling from the workplace, which is just a few hundred metres from UH .

didds

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » August 17th, 2017, 12:29 pm

I don't know the area, but if you have a smartphone then the National Rail Enquiries app will allow you to see live train times, including whether they are running late, on time, replaced by temporary bus service, cancelled, or face disruption from engineering works. It will also show which platforms and allow routes to be planned.

Also the Citymapper app will suggest alternative routes for getting between any two locations via bus, train, tube and walking and combinations thereof. Also shows the cost via Uber.

Plenty of other apps available, I find those, along with the TFL bus times app to be invaluable when traveling in the London area by public transport.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 18th, 2017, 8:52 am

Thanks to all that replied.

In the end it did what it said on the tin. I'd checked out the south-west trains website and all day it had said services running on time, despite dire warnings about waterloo and clapham junction.

Yes its a slow service - out was 75 minutes for a 16-ish mile journey. Back 71 minutes. But its a simple get on at one end, get off at the other, 5 minute stroll form the office/car park and with my disabled railcard £6.60 return.

Job's a good 'un.

Oh - and Surrey won quite easily in the end.

didds

Return to “Around the UK”