Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Norfolk

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Norfolk

Postby Rhyd6 » August 19th, 2017, 1:29 pm

We're going to Norfolk for September and will be staying in a cottage near Fakenham. Anyone have any recommendations for the area? I've noted all the usual places to visit as recommended by the tourist sites but wondered if anyone with knowledge of the area has any other suggestions. I'd also appreciate details of any pubs worth visiting especially if they are dog friendy.

TIA

R6

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Norfolk

Postby Slarti » August 19th, 2017, 3:46 pm

I'd certainly put Holkham Hall at the top of any list for Norfolk, but it is a big place with many things and should be allowed a full day.

In fact it is so big that when we went, we chickened out of doing their Walled Garden, because it was so far from the house!
What we didn't realise until later is that we could have hired electric bicycles to get there and back.

Beyond that, what do you like?
Wildlife?
Preserved Railways?
Shopping?

Can't help with pubs round there as we have stayed up at Cromer and didn't actually find one that we would recommend in 2 visits.

Slarti

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 19th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Hi Slarti, what do we like, well definitely not shopping unless it's to wander around proper shops, I hate shopping centres with a passion. We both enjoy birdwatching and wildlife but then we're very lucky to be surrounded by this, museums especially quirky unusual ones, we want to go and visit the house and gardens that have featured in the TV show Normal for Norfolk, the owner seems to be eccrentric to say the least, I like people who buck the trend. Love proper markets, all the ones in N. Wales seems to be full of cheap tat, you occasionally get one selling local produce but these are getting like hens teeth. Looking forward to big skies but not too sure how I'm going to manage for a whole month without any mountains.

R6

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » August 20th, 2017, 10:36 am

Looks like Cromer might be worth avoiding:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-40990174

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 20th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Hi Slarti, what do we like, well definitely not shopping unless it's to wander around proper shops, I hate shopping centres with a passion. We both enjoy birdwatching and wildlife but then we're very lucky to be surrounded by this, museums especially quirky unusual ones, we want to go and visit the house and gardens that have featured in the TV show Normal for Norfolk, the owner seems to be eccrentric to say the least, I like people who buck the trend. Love proper markets, all the ones in N. Wales seems to be full of cheap tat, you occasionally get one selling local produce but these are getting like hens teeth. Looking forward to big skies but not too sure how I'm going to manage for a whole month without any mountains.

R6

Hi Rhyd6
Some of the towns have non chain shops that Mrs S says are interesting ;) I don't find browsing that interesting in any shops.

Birdwatching and wildlife, Norfolk is wonderful for. We visited RSPB Tichwell Marsh which has very easy access and, amongst other things, were able to watch Marsh Harriers quartering the marshes for food. https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-ev ... ecies.aspx

We took a boat trip out from Bakeney harbour to go seal watching and, despite horrible drizzle, had a great time with plenty of sightings.

Holkham Hall is the home of the Bygones Museum which was collected by the chap who used to do the TV programme of the same name. Lots of mixed Interesting stuff there.

We also went to Horning for a trip on the Southern Comfort, paddle boat http://www.southern-comfort.co.uk/ and saw another Marsh Harrier and a Barn Owl both hunting the marshes.

We also went on the 2 main preserved railways in north Norfolk which is one of our things and consider them to be good example of their type.

For museums, have you seen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... in_Norfolk ?

Hope you have a good time and that the weather is kind.

Slarti

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 20th, 2017, 7:07 pm

There is a walks youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/amib/videos, the chap moved to Norfolk couple of years ago I believe and has done a few interesting walks in the area, might be worth a look.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » August 21st, 2017, 3:51 pm

Cromer's quiet at this time of the year -https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4282644/cromer-lockdown-travellers-evicted-disturbances-norfolk-police/

Seriously though, Fakenham's a lovely part of the world.

Not done so myself but walking Blakeney Point at low tide is supposed to be gorgeous: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/blakeney-national-nature-reserve

BreakoutBoy
2 Lemon pips

Postby BreakoutBoy » August 21st, 2017, 7:07 pm

We own a rental property in Norwich and have just spent the last several weeks in Norfolk doing a project on it. Norfolk is a very fine place, full of eccentric people, beautiful wide sky and historic architecture and buildings. I love it there, it's really a slice of all the best British stuff!

Some of my favourite activities: getting street food in Norwich Market. American diner in the finest English pavilion in the nation at Mousehold Heath. Cromer is a rather genteel seaside spot well worth a day trip.

Pensthorpe nature reserve is a good one, stunning on a nice day and I can second the seal boats as a fun day out. Horsey Mill offers a nice walk in the Broads.

Plenty of excellent country pubs, though either the Gibraltar Gardens (great big beer garden by the riverside) or The Adam and Eve in Norwich itself are my usual post DIY local choices.

Norwich Cathedral and its cafe are also good for a visit if you like soaring stonework followed by a scone.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 22nd, 2017, 4:37 pm

Thank you for all your suggestions and links. We'll certainly be checking out the Misissippi Steamer that sounds like fun also the heritage railway is a must. I was so lucky as a child, my father was station master at Hawarden and at the time we lived about six miles away so school holidays I'd just hop on a train and go and visit him. I usually travelled in the guards van but sometimes if my uncle was driving the engine I got to ride in the cab - absolutely brilliant especially as I was allowed to pull the whistle. Health & safety would have a dicky fit these days. I spent many a happy hour in the signal box with Ernie, he was the local scout master and taught me morse code, I can still remember some of it and he occasionally allowed me to send a message down the line. I was the envy of a lot of my school friends. Very happy days.

R6

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 22nd, 2017, 6:04 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Thank you for all your suggestions and links. We'll certainly be checking out the Misissippi Steamer that sounds like fun also the heritage railway is a must. I was so lucky as a child, my father was station master at Hawarden and at the time we lived about six miles away so school holidays I'd just hop on a train and go and visit him. I usually travelled in the guards van but sometimes if my uncle was driving the engine I got to ride in the cab - absolutely brilliant especially as I was allowed to pull the whistle. Health & safety would have a dicky fit these days. I spent many a happy hour in the signal box with Ernie, he was the local scout master and taught me morse code, I can still remember some of it and he occasionally allowed me to send a message down the line. I was the envy of a lot of my school friends. Very happy days.

R6

There is http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/ which is between Holt and Sheringham. I would suggest that Holt is the better starting point because of parking and there being more to see and do in Sheringham.

We also did the http://www.bvrw.co.uk/ from Aylsham to Wroxham, which I think is the better way. It is narrow gauge and terminates close by Roy's of Wroxham, if you want a bit of shopping and not far from the bridge over the River Bure. The pub there (called The Bridge?) is well placed for watching boaters struggle with the bridge.

We also liked Bressingham, though it was made extra special for us as we lucked onto a miniature traction engine ralley.

They're all listed here http://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/things-to ... lways.aspx

Slarti

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 22nd, 2017, 7:12 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Thank you for all your suggestions and links. We'll certainly be checking out the Misissippi Steamer that sounds like fun also the heritage railway is a must. I was so lucky as a child, my father was station master at Hawarden and at the time we lived about six miles away so school holidays I'd just hop on a train and go and visit him. I usually travelled in the guards van but sometimes if my uncle was driving the engine I got to ride in the cab - absolutely brilliant especially as I was allowed to pull the whistle. Health & safety would have a dicky fit these days. I spent many a happy hour in the signal box with Ernie, he was the local scout master and taught me morse code, I can still remember some of it and he occasionally allowed me to send a message down the line. I was the envy of a lot of my school friends. Very happy days.

R6

Excellent. Are you familiar with Andrew Martin's railway detective Jim Stringer-novels?

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 23rd, 2017, 4:48 pm

JMN2, no I can't say I've heard of these novels but will look them up for my Kindle. Thanks

R6

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 25th, 2017, 7:06 pm

A quick thankyou to Slarti and Breakout Boy for their suggestions, Holkham was great but we were limited to outdoors as we have the dog with us, she loved the Mississippee steamer and the Holt - Sherringham Railway. We've walked from Cley to the Blakeney point twice, such a fascinating walk, we've managed stretches of the Norfolk coastal path and enjoyed every step. I'd forgotten how flat it is around here and how easy walking is, at home we go out and either do a steep climb up or a steep run down but either way at some point you've got c limb on your hands, here it's easy peasy and the pubs are so dog friendly. Went to Norwich & although it was fascinating I found it very tiring I'm afraid I'm an out and out country bumpkin. We saw several shoots, the dog got very excited, she knows guns mean walks, grey partridge were the birds of choice, it looked as though they were fast and difficult targets either that or the fields of guns we saw were lousy shots.
This is our last week so we'll be saying goodbye to some favourite spots, the marshes around Cley especially because they have the Artemis cafe which makes the most wonderful cakes!!!!
Thanks everyone, our next foray is to Northumberland in June, hope it is as good, we're near Alnwick so any suggestions gratefully received.

R6

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » September 25th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:We're going to Norfolk for September and will be staying in a cottage near Fakenham. Anyone have any recommendations for the area? I've noted all the usual places to visit as recommended by the tourist sites but wondered if anyone with knowledge of the area has any other suggestions. I'd also appreciate details of any pubs worth visiting especially if they are dog friendy.

TIA

R6

Try https://snapemaltings.co.uk/ if you enjoy music. Check the listings in advance. The rest of the site is in my opinion just retail trash (and I include the tourist trap art galleries in that) but the music can be genuinely good.

regards, dspp

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » September 25th, 2017, 11:49 pm

I spent my childhood in the area so an interesting question. For me at least a day in Walsingham, a day in Wells (with at least an hours crabbing from the quay + fish and chips) and an afternoon walking on Holkham beach and the woodlands behind ( park on Lady Anne’s Drive).

Haven't been back for a while... perhaps time for a trip.

Return to “Around the UK”