Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Wells, Somerset

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
didds
Lemon Half

Wells, Somerset

Postby didds » September 11th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Yes of course I can check out trip advisor and AirBnB... but before I do that...

personal recommendations/avoids (eg don't provide links to airbnb.co.uk or generic accommodation websites :-)

* for some where for a couple to stay one night in Wells. B*B/Hotel;/self catering apartment. Something quirky wold be neat (CF windmills, canal narrowboats, lighthouses etc - that sort of daftness)

* campervan park up overnight spot ! (unlikely - Ive perused the usual campervan sites and groups already)

* somewhere for Saturday dinner/lunch

cheers

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Wells, Somerset

Postby didds » September 12th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Ok - accomdation sorted.

Just looking for "things to do" - open to anything... we are booked on the Hot Fuzz tour in the afternoon .

Can't find anythnig on at a local theatre for that weekend.

Oh - still open for suggestions of where to eat. all cuisines liked!

didds

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 12th, 2017, 2:07 pm

I was going to mention 'Hot Fuzz', but thought the post would be deleted as 'off topic' !

skewwy

Postby skewwy » September 12th, 2017, 2:15 pm

If you fancy something a bit different and only available for a limited time then in nearby Shepton Mallet you can get a 2 hour guided prison tour (by ex prison officers) of the countries oldest prison which up until about 3 years ago was a working prison housing long term sex offenders/murderers etc. It was also where the US army used to hang deserters in the second world war. It is awaiting planning permission to be re developed. I enjoyed a trip there

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » September 12th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Is suggesting visiting the cathedral and cheddar gorge too obvious? The cathedral is spectacular. My tip for the gorge is to park near the top and walk around up there, unless you like tourist traps of course, then feel free to wander around Cheddar itself. ;)

skewwy

Postby skewwy » September 12th, 2017, 2:28 pm

And Wookey Hole is another obvious one that is worth a visit once. (Despite its old fashioned, cheesy and slightly run down exterior/cafe/entrance. The caves themselves are very impressive, and oddly enough the Children's Circus group that does shows during the day most weekends (or did, I have not been for a while).
It does help to like Caves though :)

Cheddar Gorge is good because you get both caves and dramatic cliffs, although again a bit 'cheesy' (!)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 12th, 2017, 3:03 pm

skewwy wrote:If you fancy something a bit different and only available for a limited time then in nearby Shepton Mallet you can get a 2 hour guided prison tour (by ex prison officers) of the countries oldest prison which up until about 3 years ago was a working prison housing long term sex offenders/murderers etc. It was also where the US army used to hang deserters in the second world war. It is awaiting planning permission to be re developed. I enjoyed a trip there

Ooo... we like daft tours like that! We are close enough to make that another trip away as well some other time :-)

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 12th, 2017, 3:05 pm

All good but keep them coming.

TBH the cathedral etc was an obvious one of course but i;d rather leave the options totally open that hinder them with dos and dont; and been there's etc :)

keep emn coming folks :-)

didds

BreakoutBoy
2 Lemon pips

Postby BreakoutBoy » September 12th, 2017, 5:35 pm

Last time I went to Cheddar I got bladdered on the scrumpy cider from the cider shop at the bottom of the Gorge. Classy 1 gallon plastic jugs ensured the whole stag party was messy...,

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 12th, 2017, 6:19 pm

skewwy wrote:And Wookey Hole is another obvious one that is worth a visit once. (Despite its old fashioned, cheesy and slightly run down exterior/cafe/entrance. The caves themselves are very impressive, and oddly enough the Children's Circus group that does shows during the day most weekends (or did, I have not been for a while).
It does help to like Caves though :)

Yes, Wookey Hole is still there, still cheesy and a bit dated around the funfair area. But it's still a good day out, and kids seem to like it. The circus school does performances in the theatre, and they've got one of those 4D cinemas where your seat hurls you about in time with the action in the film. Caves are stillexcellent. The scariest mirror maze I've ever got lost in

If you're into proper (boots) walking, nearby Ebbor Gorge is something else! A real gem - I must get back there some time soon.

Somewhere to eat? The George and Pilgrim at Glastonbury (15th century) is pretty special. Might be crowded on a Saturday, but worth a visit anyway just for the experience.

BJ

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » September 22nd, 2017, 8:35 pm

Goodfellows on Sadler Street is excellent - fish dishes especially...

Cheers, OLTB.

ahenry

Postby ahenry » October 4th, 2017, 12:27 am

Wells is half a hour drive from Tucker's Grave https://whatpub.com/pubs/BAT/202/tucker ... -faulkland

In Bath, Toppings is a lovely bookshop https://www.toppingbooks.co.uk/ and I always love the echo when I stand in the middle of the Circus and clap loudly.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 5th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Rspb ham wall on old Glastonbury to highbridge railway track bed.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 9th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Wrap Up: excellent weekend.

Stayed in an airbnb very close to the city centre in union street, £50 a night for two plus Airbnb fee. A slightly odd place but quiet and confy, and a pleasant owner. Don't expect a full english though as the owner is vegetarian and I don;t think it crosses her mind that her guests may not be. Bless her!

Pubs - struggled to find anything really. Got excited over a micropub find "Just Ales" but it was woeful. Maybe we were just unlucky on the day because it has 35 x 5/5 reviews on tripadvisor. Beer poor and service ... well... east european in the soviet bloc era springs to mind. the crown had a very nasty smell on saturday night.

Hopt Fuzz walking tour was brilliant!

Ate at Liberty - good food, great ambiance etc. just check you bill for errors if you dine there. service is a tad slow but the food ois clearly cooked to order etc,

Wells cathedral awesome. Even song lovely.

cheers!

didds

Return to “Around the UK”