Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Languedoc

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
pds2008
Lemon Pip

Languedoc

Postby pds2008 » May 19th, 2018, 1:29 pm

I have just booked a 6 week stay in an apartment in Languedoc, specifically in the town of Limoux. I will be there for all of October and for the first 2 weeks of November. Limoux has a train station so other parts of the south will be readily accessible. I have been to France many times but never to this part of the country. Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting places to visit in the region, aside form the major towns like Toulouse, Narbonne, Carcassone and Montpelier. I particularly love food and markets, so any particular market days or destinations would be appreciated. Thanks - yell

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Languedoc

Postby PinkDalek » May 19th, 2018, 1:55 pm

pds2008 wrote:… Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting places to visit in the region, aside from the major towns ...

Yes, Eus!

http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/en/eus

Then there's http://www.francethisway.com/places/vil ... nflent.php

Plenty more but that was merely a couple of ideas. No idea how accessible if you've only got the train as a means of transport - this might give you some thoughts (reiterating the earlier car hire suggestion):

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Limoux/Prades

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 19th, 2018, 3:27 pm

FredBloggs wrote:Perpignan is worth a visit. Hiring a car and driving up into the mountains, through Andorra and back into France again via Spain is a nice trip too if you have decent weather. Though, I wouldn't say Andorra itself is a particularly good destination. More the round trip is of interest if you like a drive.

Amen to all that. The drive up to Andorra from Perpignan is fascinating, but it takes a while and it's steep because you're climbing beyond 8,000 feet in places. (Golden eagles!) The city itself, however, is about as interesting as an airport departure lounge - all banks and commerce, and a bit seedy actually. It used to be the contraband capital of Europe - might have improved a bit nowadays, though.

If you're venturing down as far as Perpignan, don't miss Collioure just around the corner. Incredibly beautiful coastal location, much favoured by Matisse and the art crowd because of the light. (Can get busy on the beach, and v hot, so choose your day.) And the Salvador Dali museum at Figueres, just across the border in Spain, is not that much further on a good coast road - or you can buy return rail tickets that include the entrance fee.

Carcassonne is too good to miss just because it's famous. But they don't call it the frying pan of France for nothing. :lol: The most I've ever paid for an ice cream, and it was worth every centime on the day. ;) If you're up for canoeing or energetic outdoor sports, there's a lot of that.

Do some reading in advance on French catalan culture, and the doomed history of the cathars, and the fortified villages will make more sense in a very real way. Have fun!

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 19th, 2018, 5:30 pm

If at all possible try https://about-france.com/tourism/yellow ... renees.htm

Villefranche de Conflent where the lower terminus is located is fascinating, in itself and the train ride gives exceptional views. Cameras at the ready are a must!

But, be aware that it is quite a change in elevation and we got caught out by going from bright sunshine, T-shirt and sandals weather, to snow on the ground!

I second the vote for Collioure, excellent castle and cathedral, both on the seafront. And, if it is still there the cafe across the "river" from the castle, and across the road from the local cinema does amazing buckwheat crepes and, so I'm told, a baba-rhum to die for (or of)

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 19th, 2018, 5:54 pm

FredBloggs wrote:
Slarti wrote:If at all possible try https://about-france.com/tourism/yellow ... renees.htm

Villefranche de Conflent where the lower terminus is located is fascinating, in itself and the train ride gives exceptional views. Cameras at the ready are a must!

But, be aware that it is quite a change in elevation and we got caught out by going from bright sunshine, T-shirt and sandals weather, to snow on the ground!

I second the vote for Collioure, excellent castle and cathedral, both on the seafront. And, if it is still there the cafe across the "river" from the castle, and across the road from the local cinema does amazing buckwheat crepes and, so I'm told, a baba-rhum to die for (or of)

Slarti

Essential to visit Collioure out of season though, which the OP will be doing, so all will be good.

Since my post you quoted, I've just realised that a) it was 10 years ago that we were there and b) it was January!
So no wonder there was snow at the top of the train ride. But it was shirt sleeves in Collioure :D

Slarti

pds2008
Lemon Pip

Postby pds2008 » May 19th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Thanks for the responses- after all the chat it would be rude not to visit Coullioure

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 20th, 2018, 9:54 am

pds2008 wrote:Thanks for the responses- after all the chat it would be rude not to visit Coullioure

When the wife and I are camping in southern France, we often pack a mini-tent (or book a cheap Campanile-style hotel room) and make a two or three day excursion to somewhere that looks interesting. I think you'd find enough in that area to make it worthwhile. All those wonderful bastides to explore!

BJ

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 21st, 2018, 9:13 am

pds2008 wrote:I have just booked a 6 week stay in an apartment in Languedoc, specifically in the town of Limoux. I will be there for all of October and for the first 2 weeks of November. Limoux has a train station so other parts of the south will be readily accessible. I have been to France many times but never to this part of the country. Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting places to visit in the region, aside form the major towns like Toulouse, Narbonne, Carcassone and Montpelier. I particularly love food and markets, so any particular market days or destinations would be appreciated. Thanks - yell

I used to live nearby - in fact at an altitude of 1000m in the direction of Andorra, but on the French side. Fantastic area.

My suggestion is that you get a good Michelin map of the 100m around and make sure you drive all the green edged roads. The squigglier the better. Also start googling for good restaurants in the area (there are many, but they will have changed since I was there) and include them in your visits. Don't be afraid to recross the same areas by slightly different routes, you will be rewarded, and making loops is easy.

Sat market at Esperaza is good for hippy watching. The dino museum there is good. The train service is a bit iffy.

The restaurant in Belcaire = Hôtel Restaurant Bayle is actually rather nice, one of my favourites for unpretentious good food. The bar is locals and not at all flashy.

regards, dspp

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » May 21st, 2018, 9:36 pm

A fortnight ago got back from a week in Cap D'Agde . It's a place my son had stayed in before and though its a modern town with lots of apartments and gated complexes its built to take advantage of the adjacent beach . Our 7 year old grand-daughter was with us and all she wanted to do was collect shells and sea glass so it suited us . There's a smart marina that has lots of posh yachts . Other than that can't say it had a lot going for it .

The old town of Agde is just a short ride inland and has a largish market in the centre on a Thursday with lots of pavement cafes . Didn't eat at any but there are a number of floating riverside restaurants not far from the centre .
I was impressed with the town of Beziers it combined lots of really old back street colourful buildings with some suave shops and cafes . Quite a bit of building work was going on in the huge square . We parked beneath it in an underground car park , think it was called Jean Jaure . Very handy for the Cathedral at the top of the town . The ends of many buildings had been painted in trompe l'oeil style such as this :
(my photo)

Grand-daughter also wanted to see the pink flamingos , so one day we headed towards the Camargue and saw plenty in the lagoons as we drove towards the medieval walled town of Aigues Mortes . Thats well worth a visit , a charming town that obviously is now geared for tourists . We drove through Sete but traffic was a nightmare there so didnt stop .

It was a good week to an area that hasn't seemed to attract the masses of British tourists .

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » May 21st, 2018, 11:14 pm

poundcoin wrote:A fortnight ago got back from a week in Cap D'Agde . It's a place my son had stayed in before and though its a modern town with lots of apartments and gated complexes its built to take advantage of the adjacent beach . Our 7 year old grand-daughter was with us and all she wanted to do was collect shells and sea glass so it suited us . There's a smart marina that has lots of posh yachts . Other than that can't say it had a lot going for it

Haven't you forgotten what the Cap d'Agde is best known for ? Indeed, a google search just for Cap d'Agde gives the top result as

http://www.en.capdagde.com/discover/naturism :)

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » May 22nd, 2018, 8:10 am

mike wrote:
Haven't you forgotten what the Cap d'Agde is best known for ?

Ha ha ....each to their own :)

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » May 22nd, 2018, 8:40 am

poundcoin wrote:We drove through Sete but traffic was a nightmare there so didnt stop .

Sete was a nice town, though I can remember the traffic getting out and back towards Agde was truly awful. We saw some water jousting when we were there, which is rather entertaining, two teams row boats at each other, while on each boat there's someone stood on a platform on the end of a ladder sticking out the front, who has a jousting pole and a shield to try and knock the other bloke off.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 22nd, 2018, 8:41 am

mike wrote:Haven't you forgotten what the Cap d'Agde is best known for ? Indeed, a google search just for Cap d'Agde gives the top result as

http://www.en.capdagde.com/discover/naturism :)

Maybe we were unlucky, but my recollection of camping in that part of the world was the mosquitoes. Huge, biting things that reduced us to whimpering reddened wrecks. And we had our clothes on! (Well, some of them. :D )

BJ

Return to “Airport Lounge”