Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Currency Exchange for Japan

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
busybee
Posts: 26
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 7:09 am
Has thanked: 1 time

Currency Exchange for Japan

#148586

Postby busybee » June 28th, 2018, 11:51 am

I am due to go to Japan in the autumn with 2 other family members. I will be funding the trip. As Japan is a cash society rather that card, I was wondering whether it would be better (in terms of the rate offered) to change my UK Pounds to the Japanese Yen in London or in Kyoto.

I know for certain that I got a better exchange rate when I changed my UK Pounds to the Malaysian Ringgit when in Malaysia.

Thank you,
busybee

GoSeigen
Lemon Slice
Posts: 853
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 183 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#148654

Postby GoSeigen » June 28th, 2018, 3:56 pm

busybee wrote:I am due to go to Japan in the autumn with 2 other family members. I will be funding the trip. As Japan is a cash society rather that card, I was wondering whether it would be better (in terms of the rate offered) to change my UK Pounds to the Japanese Yen in London or in Kyoto.

I know for certain that I got a better exchange rate when I changed my UK Pounds to the Malaysian Ringgit when in Malaysia.

Thank you,
busybee


Highly recommend you get a Halifax Clarity card and draw the cash when you are there. It is the cheapest way to get your cash. Many places take credit card (shops, restaurants, hotels) so using the Clarity card works for those too, but you will need to pay off the cash advances regularly to avoid the interest charges.


GS

gryffron
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1002
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:00 am
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#149148

Postby gryffron » June 30th, 2018, 8:36 pm

IME most Japanese cashpoints tend to be INSIDE banks. And therefore only available office hours. Which is ok for tourists unless you arrive at the weekend.

Gryff

YeeWo
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 223
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:12 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#149290

Postby YeeWo » July 1st, 2018, 3:03 pm

Thomas Exchange in London usually has pretty good rates........

FredBloggs
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2075
Joined: November 12th, 2016, 8:42 am
Has thanked: 610 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#149299

Postby FredBloggs » July 1st, 2018, 4:18 pm

Most convenience stores, rail stations etc also have cash points. I would not say myself that Japan is a more cash use country than any other 1st world nation. I endorse the Clarity card and you really have nothing to worry about. Just get a Clarity card and take out some cash on arrival. Most times you simply pay by card, just like everywhere else.

PS - Last in Japan March this year.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice
Posts: 274
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 7:29 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#150015

Postby BrummieDave » July 4th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Clarity is good, but as per several posts previously, I prefer Revolut (www.revolut.com)and have been using it since 2016.

GoSeigen
Lemon Slice
Posts: 853
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 183 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#150021

Postby GoSeigen » July 4th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Personally, I avoid cash machines in banks, convenience stores etc, and use the ones located in the lobby of most local post office (yuubin kyoku) branches. Last time I was there you were permitted three free withdrawals per month, and then further withdrawals were at a very reasonable rate.

https://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/en/ias ... index.html

The post offices are everywhere and most people know where to find one. If you make your first couple of withdrawals big ones you probably can access all the cash you will need for free.

Cautions:
-Max single withdrawal amount Y50,000.
-Post Office ATMs have limited operating hours (check on the ATM finder at above link)
-Make payments from your Clarity card in local currency to benefit from the card's commercial exchange rate.


GS

P.S. Revolut appears to have a £200 per month free ATM withdrawal limit. Clarity is unlimited. £200 cash will barely last a weekend in Japan. Revolut is also a tiny company and not a bank -- good luck if you have serious issues while away. I had a problem with my Clarity card in Egypt and Halifax refunded me more than £100 for my trouble and expenses, no questions asked.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1675
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 345 times
Been thanked: 506 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#150022

Postby Snorvey » July 4th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Just don't mention 'fluctuations'.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice
Posts: 274
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 7:29 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#150036

Postby BrummieDave » July 4th, 2018, 8:47 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
P.S. Revolut appears to have a £200 per month free ATM withdrawal limit. Clarity is unlimited. £200 cash will barely last a weekend in Japan. Revolut is also a tiny company and not a bank -- good luck if you have serious issues while away. I had a problem with my Clarity card in Egypt and Halifax refunded me more than £100 for my trouble and expenses, no questions asked.


Revolut's £200 per month is the limit for commission and fee free withdrawals, after which a small fee is applied to cover the levy the ATM providers place on Revolut. You don't notice it tbh. The comment about them being a small company is true, but the card is a Mastercard, and I've used mine since 2016 in lots of countries for many many transactions, as have a number of friends and colleagues. Perhaps it's not for everyone, and I know Clarity is good, but I like my Revolut card and App.

ElCid
Posts: 2
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 12:03 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#151283

Postby ElCid » July 9th, 2018, 8:10 pm

I worked for a Japanese company in the 1990s and made frequent trips to the Tokyo area and once to Fukuoka. Even then Credit cards were widely accepted and I carried a few thousand yen for small purchases which I had got in the UK. I was not too fussed about rates as it was paid for by my employer.

I am writing to inform you that there was a departure tax at Tokyo (Narita) Airport of 2000 yen (about six pounds) which had to be paid in cash so check whether this is still the case. My last trip was in 2000.

EC

FredBloggs
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2075
Joined: November 12th, 2016, 8:42 am
Has thanked: 610 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#151298

Postby FredBloggs » July 9th, 2018, 8:38 pm

ElCid wrote:I worked for a Japanese company in the 1990s and made frequent trips to the Tokyo area and once to Fukuoka. Even then Credit cards were widely accepted and I carried a few thousand yen for small purchases which I had got in the UK. I was not too fussed about rates as it was paid for by my employer.

I am writing to inform you that there was a departure tax at Tokyo (Narita) Airport of 2000 yen (about six pounds) which had to be paid in cash so check whether this is still the case. My last trip was in 2000.

EC

In March 2018 there was no departure tax at Narita, nor at Haneda.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2259
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:39 pm
Has thanked: 1569 times
Been thanked: 313 times

Re: Currency Exchange for Japan

#152368

Postby DiamondEcho » July 14th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Flying direct, or via elsewhere en route such as Singapore/KL? If Singapore [I lived there 3 times] I can suggest world-beating places, well known locally, to do any walk-up travel FX you might wish to do, on what ever scale.
I used to work in Tokyo in the 90s [plus Singapore], and visited twice since on holiday, last c2016/17, both times from Singapore. We took a 'cash buffer' of Yen with us, converted from downtown Singapore, and the rest went on UK bankcards. That was the most economical plan for us at that time.
Tokyo can appear a dazzlingly confusing place if not used to it.... I'm happy to chip in with any tips I can that might help you...

ps. @ FB - finally scrapped the silly tickets for departure tax stapled to your boarding cards have they? .... they were 'so 3rd world'...


Return to “Airport Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest