Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Mobile plans in Canada

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Mobile plans in Canada

Postby superFoolish » February 11th, 2019, 5:28 am

Mrs sF and I will be in Canada for most of June this year. I am struggling to find a reasonably-priced mobile phone plan; they seem be around triple the price of what I am used to paying in Australia.

For comparison, in Australia, I get 13Gb data and unlimited calls and texts for 30 days (no contract), for AUD17 all-in. The best I can find in Canada ('Public Mobile') is CAD40 + CAD10 (for SIM) for 4.5Gb and unlimited calls and texts. AUD is currently pretty close to CAD (close enough for comparison calculations).

I understand that Canada can be expensive, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something or searching for the wrong thing. CAD50 x 2 isn't a disaster, but I'd prefer to spend less if possible.

We'll mainly be in Vancouver, BC , but spending a week in Calgary, Alberta.

Our phones (both iPhone 6S) are unlocked and we need minimum talk time, no international calls, and a fair wodge of data; perhaps 5Gb. We'll be using the phones occasionally to contact each other (using data), but mainly for emergencies and GPS, as we'll be driving a fair bit in the 'country'. The data requirement is for research, maps (although most should be downloaded), booking online, etc.

We'll have access to free WiFi in the evenings, hence no requirement for masses of data.

Are their any experienced travellers who can advise please?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Mobile plans in Canada

Postby swill453 » February 11th, 2019, 7:50 am

Canada doesn't seem to be one of the low cost destinations for roaming on a UK mobile contract. Depending on the provider they seem to charge £4 to £6 per day if you want to use your allowance there.

I know this doesn't apply directly to you, but it does imply that Canada might be an expensive place to use a mobile.

Scott.

Regdragon

Postby Regdragon » February 11th, 2019, 11:27 am

I went to Vancouver last July and asked my UK provider, Three, about it and both they, and my relatives when I got there, said Canada was one of the most expensive places for telecoms. I think your deal sounds okay and at least when you sleep or eat, WiFi was good everywhere. Might be worth checking with your provider here though.

Regards

RD

PS. Almost goes without saying but make sure your travel insurance covers Canada too. Medical treatment is expensive and, though you might think there would be, there’s no reciprocal arrangement with the UK. (Personal experience!)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 11th, 2019, 11:30 am

Regdragon wrote:PS. Almost goes without saying but make sure your travel insurance covers Canada too. Medical treatment is expensive and, though you might think there would be, there’s no reciprocal arrangement with the UK. (Personal experience!)

Ditto!

£750+ for a minor diagnosis and the prescription to sort it :shock:

Slarti

beseeinyou
Lemon Pip

Postby beseeinyou » February 11th, 2019, 11:34 am

My brother lives in Edmonton and is amazed at the relatively low cost of mobile phone plans in the UK, there is basically a monopoly in Canada and they take full advantage of it, there is no such thing as a cheap plan I'm afraid, to my knowledge anyway.

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » February 15th, 2019, 10:36 am

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

I had heard that Canada was expensive for mobile plans (and generally), but always a good idea to check with those who know. $100 for a month whilst on vacation is not terrible, and is worth it for peace of mind.

Yes, we have medical cover, thanks; Canada doesn't have a reciprocal agreement with Australia either!

Other than a couple of trips to Bali, and Singapore, I haven't left this part of the world since moving to Western Australia almost 8 years ago. We're stopping over in the UK for a week, and that'll be my first time back since leaving the UK in 2011. Mandatory stop over to see relatives and a couple of friends; not my choice!

Return to “Airport Lounge”