Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to monabri,Dod101,Anonymous,Gersemi,robbelg, for Donating to support the site

Orlando

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Slice
Posts: 474
Joined: February 7th, 2017, 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Orlando

#250005

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 6th, 2019, 8:28 pm

We've recently returned from a week in Tenerife. It was a lovely holiday albeit well overdue.

We are quietly contemplating a holiday to Orlando next year. We have been before in 1994 & 2006. Our daughter has not been. She enjoyed Siam Water Park in Tenerife. We visited three times. And I am proud to say I survived :shock:

Whilst we aren't going to scrimp on the budget we're looking for ways to make the trip sensibly affordable. We have ruled out staying at Hotels in or close to the main theme parks and probably have ruled out having a rental vehicle. And we don't want half board or self catering. We prefer to eat out which fits around visiting all the various theme parks. We've as good as established when we are going and have a few hotels to review before selecting.

The one area we don't seem to have much information about is Park Tickets. We've been advised to buy them in the UK before travelling as this will be cost effective. Can anyone recommend a good website please?

Thank you

AiY

beseeinyou
Posts: 11
Joined: November 18th, 2016, 11:02 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Orlando

#250092

Postby beseeinyou » September 7th, 2019, 11:15 am

DIBB has a good forum all about tickets:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122

Beseeinyou

Pheidippides
Lemon Pip
Posts: 66
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:07 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Orlando

#250156

Postby Pheidippides » September 7th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Hi AIY,

I own a villa in Florida (and I advertise on the Dibb under a different username. I write this sitting on my pool deck drinking coffee with the thermometer having risen from 72 to now 84 (at 11:00)

You don’t want self-catering, but your reasons seem to be meal-related. Is housekeeping important to you?

The reason I ask is that a villa rental with nearby restaurants might be a viable alternative. Massively more space and comfort, but you have to make your own bed.

From a budget point of view, breakfast and alcohol are where the biggest savings can be made. A beer in a restaurant is often about $6, I have a crate of Yuengling Black and Tan in the fridge that only cost $11 for 12 bottles.

As to your other question, there is no real way to secure large savings on Park Tickets. There are good leads to reliable ticket providers on the Dibb.

My other top tip:

TPA not MCO - if you fly and stay local to TPA you can do Busch Gardens - IMO the best rollercoaster park in FL

Regards

Pheid

Slarti
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2930
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Has thanked: 639 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: Orlando

#250169

Postby Slarti » September 7th, 2019, 5:25 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:We have ruled out staying at Hotels in or close to the main theme parks and probably have ruled out having a rental vehicle. And we don't want half board or self catering.


There are shuttle buses into Disney World, but the World is very, very big and you may well find yourself spending quite a bit of time on travel between the parks. Also, worth investigating how late the buses run, because the firework displays at each park are quite something.

If you are not having a car you will need check that your accommodation is near to a shuttle stop. And use street map to check that your place stay is near to restaurants.

I found that The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World to be invaluable to planing your day at each park, as the best way round is not the obvious way, to avoid queues.

Just some thoughts.

Slarti

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Slice
Posts: 474
Joined: February 7th, 2017, 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: Orlando

#250176

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 7th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Slarti wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:We have ruled out staying at Hotels in or close to the main theme parks and probably have ruled out having a rental vehicle. And we don't want half board or self catering.

There are shuttle buses into Disney World, but the World is very, very big and you may well find yourself spending quite a bit of time on travel between the parks. Also, worth investigating how late the buses run, because the firework displays at each park are quite something.

Yes I agree we have probably set ourselves a little bit of a dichotomy. We have put both options on the table pari passu.
Slarti wrote:I found that The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World to be invaluable to planing your day at each park, as the best way round is not the obvious way, to avoid queues.

Yes. When we went in 1994 we did a little homework beforehand. We arrived at the parks before the "official opening time" and got in early. We promptly walked to the back of the park from where we worked our way out. As such we missed the herd. We also, if I recall correctly queued on the left hand side of all doubles queues and that often came up trumps. But that was then and we need to arm ourselves with todays modern information in order to effect a decent return on our ordinance :lol:

Yes. I agree. It's a holiday made better with a little planning :ugeek:

AiY

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Slice
Posts: 474
Joined: February 7th, 2017, 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: Orlando

#250177

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 7th, 2019, 6:10 pm

beseeinyou wrote:DIBB has a good forum all about tickets:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122

Beseeinyou

Thank you. I've popped over to the link you've provided and will digest the information over wine tonight I think :)

AiY


Return to “Airport Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests