Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Norway

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
didds
Lemon Half

Norway

Postby didds » June 29th, 2022, 9:56 pm

beginning to think of a Norway trip in the late winter/early sping..

something like
UK-Oslo - train/train+ferry
Oslo-Bergen via Flam and Gudvangen
Bergen-Alesund (coastal ferry)
Alesund-UK, probably flight

7-10 days.

Anybody done something similar, or have some insight as to how feasible this may be for Feb/Mar/April & the time factor ??

didds

RockRabbit
Lemon Slice

Re: Norway

Postby RockRabbit » June 29th, 2022, 11:02 pm

didds wrote:beginning to think of a Norway trip in the late winter/early sping..

something like
UK-Oslo - train/train+ferry
Oslo-Bergen via Flam and Gudvangen
Bergen-Alesund (coastal ferry)
Alesund-UK, probably flight

7-10 days.

Anybody done something similar, or have some insight as to how feasible this may be for Feb/Mar/April & the time factor ??

didds

I would suggest travelling from Oslo to Bergen by train, its one of the great train journeys of the world. I've done all the sections of the route multiple times in Feb/March/April, its a great journey, easy to book online and not too expensive. (about 7 hrs in total if you go end to end). The main problem at that time of year is the risk of an avalanche blocking the track. If that happens you'll be transferred to a bus which takes a lot longer and isn't half as scenic, so build some slack into your itinerary so that you don't miss your onward connection. Only happened to me once though.

I haven't stayed at Flam but I think you can get there (by train) from one of the stops on the Bergen-Oslo route. However I suspect accommodation might be expensive in this location. No knowledge of Gudvangen.

I really like Bergen, worth spending a day or two there, accommodation is good value for the quality.

By coastal ferry, I assume you mean Hurtigruten? I haven't done this route yet and the UK version of the website appears to be focused upon coastal cruises rather than a domestic ferry service? I did use the old ferry from Newcastle to Bergen when it was still operating and the scenary as far south as Bergen was pretty impressive. I'm sure it would only get better as you go further north.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 30th, 2022, 8:14 am

RockRabbit wrote: I did use the old ferry from Newcastle to Bergen when it was still operating and the scenary as far south as Bergen was pretty impressive. I'm sure it would only get better as you go further north.

sadly no longer existing - it connected way back when (20 years ago?) with a ferry to the Faroes (also now long gone).

didds

RockRabbit
Lemon Slice

Postby RockRabbit » June 30th, 2022, 8:42 am

didds wrote:
RockRabbit wrote: I did use the old ferry from Newcastle to Bergen when it was still operating and the scenary as far south as Bergen was pretty impressive. I'm sure it would only get better as you go further north.

sadly no longer existing - it connected way back when (20 years ago?) with a ferry to the Faroes (also now long gone).

didds

I know, really tragic. Arriving at Bergen having sailed up the coast in the morning light was almost magical (when it wasn't raining). Sure beat Calais or Dover!

BTW, I don't know if you plan to spend any time in Bergen? If so, it appears parts of Bryggen are being renovated and therefore shut. My understanding is that this work will take several years to complete as they are 're under pinning' some of the buildings.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 30th, 2022, 9:05 am

RockRabbit wrote:
BTW, I don't know if you plan to spend any time in Bergen? If so, it appears parts of Bryggen are being renovated and therefore shut. My understanding is that this work will take several years to complete as they are 're under pinning' some of the buildings.

any trip will be "in the future" - though if taking several years to complete may be a factor!

didds

Return to “Airport Lounge”