Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Collapse of Customer Support at BA and the shambles at Heathrow

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Collapse of Customer Support at BA and the shambles at Heathrow

Postby Dod101 » July 3rd, 2022, 5:46 pm

Strangely enough in all the chaos of the last few weeks with BA and Heathrow, my daughter and family returned from Florida last Sunday at Heathrow Terminal 5, and went straight through with no problems, and bags checked through to Edinburgh. All went smoothly.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 10th, 2022, 5:59 pm

Dod101 wrote:Strangely enough in all the chaos of the last few weeks with BA and Heathrow, my daughter and family returned from Florida last Sunday at Heathrow Terminal 5, and went straight through with no problems, and bags checked through to Edinburgh. All went smoothly.

Yes, I breezed through Heathrow last week and had no problem (T3).

Oddly it was Helsinki and Stockholm airports that were more chaotic, particularly the latter. I usually associate Scandinavia with efficiency but their airports were heaving, with flights leaving about an hour late. Was not helped by a pilot strike at SAS and the airline declaring bankruptcy. I was on Finnair luckily.

One thing that struck me is that the main benefit of flying in Business/First on short-haul is at the airport and not on the plane. I skipped all the queues at both check-in and security on the basis of the priority stamped on my boarding card. And then could avoid the crowds by waiting in the airline lounge. Whereas on the plane I could barely tell the difference between Business and Economy.

At times like this it can be worthwhile to pay up for an upgrade.

roger4
Lemon Pip

Postby roger4 » July 16th, 2022, 4:23 am

I agree with Lootman.

The advantage of business class is at the airports because a lot of the hassle is removed.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 17th, 2022, 10:49 pm

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Strangely enough in all the chaos of the last few weeks with BA and Heathrow, my daughter and family returned from Florida last Sunday at Heathrow Terminal 5, and went straight through with no problems, and bags checked through to Edinburgh. All went smoothly.

Oddly it was Helsinki and Stockholm airports that were more chaotic, particularly the latter. I usually associate Scandinavia with efficiency but their airports were heaving, with flights leaving about an hour late. Was not helped by a pilot strike at SAS and the airline declaring bankruptcy. I was on Finnair luckily.

One thing that struck me is that the main benefit of flying in Business/First on short-haul is at the airport and not on the plane. I skipped all the queues at both check-in and security on the basis of the priority stamped on my boarding card. And then could avoid the crowds by waiting in the airline lounge. Whereas on the plane I could barely tell the difference between Business and Economy.

Yes, I do quite a few short trips (<3 hrs) and the real advantage of business class is simply the lounge. The business class section on those Airbus 320s is not really appreciated, since I can 'switch off' quite easily no matter where I'm seated. But it's &%@!! expensive!!

About five months ago, Priority pass had a special offer and I bought the membership that includes 10 lounge visits. So far it's worked very well everywhere and for the first time ever, I was able to pass through Luton airport without the usual suicidal urge to end it all. 8-)

Steve

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 17th, 2022, 10:56 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Yes, I do quite a few short trips (<3 hrs) and the real advantage of business class is simply the lounge. The business class section on those Airbus 320s is not really appreciated, since I can 'switch off' quite easily no matter where I'm seated. But it's &%@!! expensive!!

About five months ago, Priority pass had a special offer and I bought the membership that includes 10 lounge visits. So far it's worked very well everywhere and for the first time ever, I was able to pass through Luton airport without the usual suicidal urge to end it all. 8-)

Steve

Just shows how different we all are! I could not care less about the lounge or not. My answer is so what? I have experienced the First Class lounge in various airports over the years and of course it is very nice, the one up man ship in particular, but so what? It is but an ephemeral part of life and when i enjoyed it I was not paying. Nowadays I simply do not care: just want to get to the destination.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 18th, 2022, 1:28 pm

Dod101 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Just shows how different we all are! I could not care less about the lounge or not. My answer is so what? I have experienced the First Class lounge in various airports over the years and of course it is very nice, the one up man ship in particular, but so what? It is but an ephemeral part of life and when i enjoyed it I was not paying. Nowadays I simply do not care: just want to get to the destination.

Whether it is worthwhile to pay up for First is of course a personal decision. When I was younger I didn't care and only flew in a premium cabin if work was paying. But now I routinely fly in Business or First. It costs a lot but (a) I have the money and (b) flying is one of the few times I am not in control of my environment or whom I am with, and so I want to make it as serene and pleasant and it can be.

On long-haul flights the benefits of a lie-flat seat are obvious. But mostly it is a matter of space and privacy. And by looking for deals and judicious use of air miles, the cost can be kept reasonable.

My point for bringing it up here was that it is in the departing airport that it really makes a difference, especially now airports are crowded and chaotic. For instance if you fly BA First from Heathrow, or in any class of cabin if you have BA Gold status, you can use the "Fast Wing" check-in at LHR T5. No queues and it has its own dedicated security line with next to no people in it. When you emerge from the security check you are in the First Class lounge, where you can work, eat and drink until it is time to board. Or proceed to the Concorde Room if you qualify. The contrast with the main check-in hall and the crowded over-priced shopping mall air-side could not be more stark.

Virgin have something similar at T3.

It's not snobbery - I don't care what anyone thinks. It just enables me to travel without stress and without having to deal with crowds. And if there is a problem with my flight there are airline staff there to help me without having to fight with the other 300 passengers on that flights.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » August 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm

I booked several weeks ago return flights to Italy - all confirmed leaving Saturday morning late November coming back 18.00 the following Tuesday. Couple of days ago I receive email from BA informing me :

Dear Mr T7

The time of your upcoming flight BA*** flight to London Heathrow on Tuesday has changed. We're sorry for any impact this may have on your travel plans.

No change flying out but flight coming back changed to 08.00 am. Effectively an expensive night in the hotel in order to get up at 05.30 in order to get to airport. No explanation - so I assume that flight actually cancelled having read about 10,000 BA flights cancelled. So I get on the BA site to see if any other flights during the day. Imagine my surprise to see not only a midday flight but also my original early evening flight.

Fortunately I had booked through travel agent (so fed up dealing with BA direct - see above) and asked them what's going on? They had no idea - not initiated by them but would find out. An hour later my original flight re-instated. Explanation from travel agent was that BA bumped me off flight that was fairly full to flight that was empty for their own gain. Their load factor maximising software does this automatically in the hope that passengers don't check!

Anyone else experience this? Unfortunately these BA LHR flights are the most convenient for me - but otherwise continue to avoid if possible.

T7

Return to “Airport Lounge”