Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Majorca

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Majorca

Postby Clitheroekid » February 14th, 2018, 8:21 pm

After the extremely helpful replies I received to my query about Lanzarote I'm hoping that you well-travelled Fools may be able to help me out regarding a short trip to Majorca.

I'm going for my first of several trips to Ibiza and joining friends there on 10 May. Normally, I just fly the same day, but as I so much enjoyed my solo trip to Lanzarote it occurred to me to have a few days in Majorca and then get the ferry over to Ibiza on the 10th.

So I'm thinking of flying to Majorca on the Saturday or Sunday (5/6 May). But although I have been a couple of times before it's always been in transit to somewhere else, and I've never actually stayed there.

As I'll only be there for 3 or 4 days the main question is where to stay? If I were there longer I'd be tempted to stay in the mountainous areas, but for such a short time I'd rather be near the sea. I don't like cheap and cheerful resorts, so I've eliminated Magaluf, but what's the area in the immediate proximity to Palma like? I won't be renting a car for such a short time, so I don't want to be too far off the beaten track.

I've a friend who has an apartment in Port d'Andratx (or Port Anthrax as I call it to wind him up!) Unfortunately, my none too subtle hint revealed that it's let out at the time I'll be there, but from what I've seen on the net it looks quite pleasant.

Although I normally go for Airbnb it works out quite a lot more expensive as a solo traveller, so I think a hotel is probably the best option.

A quick look at a couple of hotel websites has left me totally confused, simply because there are so many to choose from, so any pointers would be most welcome.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Majorca

Postby genou » February 14th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:So I'm thinking of flying to Majorca on the Saturday or Sunday (5/6 May). But although I have been a couple of times before it's always been in transit to somewhere else, and I've never actually stayed there.

As I'll only be there for 3 or 4 days the main question is where to stay? If I were there longer I'd be tempted to stay in the mountainous areas, but for such a short time I'd rather be near the sea. I don't like cheap and cheerful resorts,

Check out the wonderfully named http://www.esplendidohotel.com at Port Soller. You can get to Port Soller by bus/ tram direct from the airport, so no car required. The bay is pretty and there are hills to walk in, should you so desire.

I haven't been for a while, but enjoyed it greatly in the past. Still well reviewed.

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » February 15th, 2018, 9:54 am

Port Soller could certainly be a good choice, but have you considered staying in the centre of Palma? Lots to see in Palma, enough to keep you occupied for a couple of days, and you could take the old electric train and tram to Soller/Port Soller as a day trip. I have stayed in Hotel Born, set in an old palace right in the centre of Palma old town (very different to your recent hotel in Lanzarote), this was a few years ago but I found it very pleasant.

Of course, staying in the centre of a city may not be your thing, if so please ignore the above!

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » February 15th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Palma - especially the old town - is very attractive, with museums and 'culture' if that is your interest. The cathedral has a magnificent setting. Restaurants and coffee shops which are not part of global chains are also plentiful. Part of the sea front is masked by the port/marina, but there is plenty of walking along the seawall to the east of the cathedral. Bo Hotel is recommended.

If you manage to visit the bull ring while it's open, please report back - the Spanish seem to have a relaxed attitude about published opening hours!

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » February 17th, 2018, 10:24 am

Following my recommendation of Hotel Born, out of curiosity I looked up the price for early May and was astounded to see the cheapest double room came up at £178 a night. Clearly it has gone upmarket since I stayed there, I would never have considered paying anything like that. Luckily there are cheaper alternatives available!

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 19th, 2018, 7:32 am

I'm late to this thread so you may be booked up already, but Soller itself is lovely. It is at the foot of the mountains but very fertile and a good place for food and walks. Port Soller is a short ride on the bus or tram. That would be a good choice too. Happy to recommend the fab place we stayed at in Soller if you want anything more specific.

C

Aprilfool62

Postby Aprilfool62 » March 19th, 2018, 8:06 am

I have stayed in Cala’Dor which is about an hours transfer from the airport. It has a marina as well as the usual shops/bars/restaurants and I would definitely recommend. I love palma too ...it is cheaper if you stay in one of the hotels about a mile out of the centre.
April

Return to “Airport Lounge”