Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Singapore

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Dod101
The full Lemon

Singapore

Postby Dod101 » February 5th, 2018, 8:11 pm

I am having to go to Melbourne next month to see a stepson and am stopping off on the way in Hong Kong which I used to know very well as I lived there for a long time and will be more or less looked after whilst there. On my return I am stopping off in Singapore which I last visited more than 20 years ago and that and previous visits were on business so I did not really get much idea. I think any contacts I had have been lost and so I am seeking advice from anyone who has recent experience of the territory if there are any 'must do' things or good local restaurants. Otherwise I will just sit by a pool and have a few beers. Obviously I know about Raffles!

Any thoughts please?

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Singapore

Postby Lootman » February 5th, 2018, 8:17 pm

I love the Botanical Gardens there, and especially their orchid collection:

https://www.sbg.org.sg/

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 5th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Hopefully DiamondEcho and others will spot your post soon but here's one he prepared earlier (albeit not naming any restaurants in particular):

viewtopic.php?p=77287#p77287

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » February 5th, 2018, 10:08 pm

I was in Singapore last September for the Formula one GP, I remember an excellent meal in a restaurant called Original Sin, it's a bit out of town, I can't remember where now, but easy to find on the internet, I had my first Singapore Sling, delicious. I prefer Indian food, so you could try Little India, as an alternative, if you do too.

I wanted to walk the Southern Ridges, for a bit of fresh air and nature watching, unfortunately the heavens opened, so we abandoned that idea.Macritchie reservoir is said to be interesting, but I was never able to find it.

I hope that is of some interest.
dp

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » February 5th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Lived in Singapore in the late 70's, I went back on business about 3 years ago, just for a few days. I took some colleagues to the Indian area around Serangoon Road. It was just as vibrant as it used to be, though it is now designated as a preserved tourist area (that's Singapore for you). We went back to Komalavilas vegetarian restaurant, still good food, but not served on a banana leaf anymore - so it just wasn't the same experience.

masped

Postby masped » February 6th, 2018, 5:05 pm

I'll second the MacRitchie Nature Trail as an interesting thing to do. I preferred it to the Southern Ridges which are more urban.

In addition to the Botanical Gardens, the Gardens by the Bay are unique: http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en.html

The Zoo is one of the best in the world: https://www.wrs.com.sg/en/singapore-zoo.html

Or there's the Night Safari for the chance to see active nocturnal animals: https://www.wrs.com.sg/en/night-safari/

If you're interested in WWII history, there's the Battlebox in Fort Canning Park: http://www.battlebox.com.sg/
or Fort Siloso on Sentosa Island: https://www.sentosa.com.sg/explore/attr ... ort-siloso

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » February 6th, 2018, 5:29 pm

I was last in Singapore in 2012, but prior to that was going regularly since 1996.
- The Singapore Flyer in Colliers Quay area is worth visiting.
- Go for a Beer at The Marina Bay Sands, 3 Tower Blocks with an Ocean Liner plonked-on-top! Well worth experiencing though.
Almost everything else I'm sure you've seen/experienced. Singapore can be damned expensive........
Where are you staying?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 6th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Thanks to all. I am staying at Parkroyal on Kitchener unless somebody thinks that is not a good choice. 'Liitle India'. I do not care as long as it is clean and comfortable.

There are a lot of pointers so they will be very helpful to me.

Dod

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 10th, 2018, 4:55 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Hopefully DiamondEcho and others will spot your post soon but here's one he prepared earlier (albeit not naming any restaurants in particular):
viewtopic.php?p=77287#p77287

Sorry, too late, reason being I was in Singapore!
Someone mentioned Park Royal [hotel] Singapore. We've stayed there before, when I was paying, and it was fine. I'd avoid the Raffles for pretty much anything apart from a [free] stroll around the grounds. Right now it ONCE again looks like a building site. Shame they never seem to leave it alone for more than a year or two.

For restaurants etc I'd look on TripAdvisor, and also look at their (say) top-20 Attractions, Activities etc, having defined your budget and tastes. I find this very useful, to do pre a trip, as I can identify a couple of each category that really grab my attention + flag some better know places that opinion suggests are worth avoiding. So on the trip I'll aim to do a few of my ^, and alternatively just do spur of the moment things on the day.

Return to “Airport Lounge”