Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Car Hire in Ireland

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Car Hire in Ireland

Postby bjmarren » June 3rd, 2018, 3:27 pm

Hi All,

We're off to Ireland in early July for a 9 day visit. We'll have 3 days in Dublin at the beginning and then drive around the South West for 5 or 6 days days, for which we'll hire a car. For the last 3 years we've used Europcar for trips to Sardinia, Spain and Portugal and have been generally pleased with them, although they are not the cheapest. There is a company, Carhire.ie which seems to be alot cheaper for a similar type of car. I was wondering if anyone here had any personal experience of them or has any general advice about car hire in Ireland.

Cheers!

Brendan

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Re: Car Hire in Ireland

Postby bjmarren » June 20th, 2018, 9:12 am

Hi All,
When picking up a hire car, have you ever been asked for any documentation other than your driving licence? Would be interested to know.

Brendan

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 20th, 2018, 12:59 pm

bjmarren wrote:Hi All,
When picking up a hire car, have you ever been asked for any documentation other than your driving licence? Would be interested to know.

Brendan

Not in Ireland, but certainly in Europe I have been asked for my passport, more than once. But not always.

Also, usually a swipe of the credit card.

Slarti

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 20th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Hired a van yesterday, again not in Ireland but in Scotland. They wanted licence + DVLA code + proof of address other than licence, eg bank statement less than 3 months old.

Scott.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 20th, 2018, 5:05 pm

swill453 wrote:Hired a van yesterday, again not in Ireland but in Scotland. They wanted licence + DVLA code + proof of address other than licence, eg bank statement less than 3 months old.

Scott.

I've always found it harder, in paperwork, to hire a car in the UK than in holiday destinations :shock:

Slarti

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » June 21st, 2018, 1:50 pm

Heres a few views (quite positive).
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic ... ublin.html

Its the low cost version of Europcar. Same as Firefly is the low cost subsidiary of Hertz.

Enjoy Ireland. The Southwest is the only place where I found my car getting cleaner during the rain...

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » June 22nd, 2018, 9:53 am

Hi again,

Thanks for all your replies. According to the Carhire.ie website, I need my driving licence of course, a bank statement, copy of utility payment, confirming address and a printout from the DLVA confirming any points deduction, as I have a paper version of the license. Apart from my driving license, I have never been asked for any of these in the last 3 years when I have hired a car. An added complication is that the address on the paper license is not my current address and the credit card used to pay for the hire is a company credit card not my personal one, although my name is on the company card as well as the company name. My current address is the same as the company address and I can provide docs to prove this, it's just if they get picky about the address on the license. This hasn't been a problem before and I have always used Europcar before so I'm hoping it's simply a case of them listing things that they are obliged to list but won't necessarily ask for them. Given that I'll be paying in full there on the spot and paying for the additional super car damage waiver, I don't see why the need for the additional docs. Any ideas?

Brendan

beseeinyou
Lemon Pip

Postby beseeinyou » June 22nd, 2018, 10:40 am

You can be fined up to £1000 for not updating your address on your license:

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 22nd, 2018, 12:42 pm

bjmarren wrote:Hi again,

Thanks for all your replies. According to the Carhire.ie website, I need my driving licence of course, a bank statement, copy of utility payment, confirming address and a printout from the DLVA confirming any points deduction, as I have a paper version of the license. Apart from my driving license, I have never been asked for any of these in the last 3 years when I have hired a car. An added complication is that the address on the paper license is not my current address [...] Given that I'll be paying in full there on the spot and paying for the additional super car damage waiver, I don't see why the need for the additional docs. Any ideas?

Yes, get your driving licence updated with your new address and take all the documents they suggest. Then enjoy your trouble-free holiday.

GS
P.S. My cousin visited us two years ago complaining about what a pain in the butt (not his words) his tenant was and how he wanted to kick her out. "Do it by the book", I said, "Give her the full notice on exactly the right forms, take her to court and you'll be shot of her in a few months." "Nah" he said "she's a bloody nuisance. I'm going to muck her about just to piss her off". Two years later he's still complaining about having to go to court again and how it's ruining his health as he can't get her out.

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » July 15th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Hi All,

I thought I would let you know what happened regarding my car hire in Ireland. First of all I should say that my paper passport has my last UK address on it dating back over 20 years ago, even though I have been living abroad since 1997. It could be that I'm not even legally entitled to still have it and should have exchanged it for the Bulgarian standard EU one, given I've been living in Bulgaria since 1997. Anyway, the car hire company didn't ask for any other supporting documentation, except my passport of course, and this has been my experience whenever I've hired a car abroad, including the UK.

As regards the actual car hire company itself, CarHire.ie, as was mentioned earlier in the thread is the low cost version of EuropeCar and as such is handled by them . The process for the pick up and drop off was extremely smooth and hassle free and the staff very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Cheers!

Brendan

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 15th, 2018, 10:47 pm

The paper license is totally useless in law anyway. Throw it away and life will get easier.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 16th, 2018, 1:47 am

Dod101 wrote:The paper license is totally useless in law anyway. Throw it away and life will get easier.

Dod

Wow, that's completely untrue.

Are you possibly thinking of the paper counterpart to the photocard licence?

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 16th, 2018, 9:24 am

I rather assumed that that was what was being written about, but if I am wrong, sorry. I should really go back to sleep. Anyway I assume that when he gets his licence up dated with the correct address he will get a new type licence anyway.

Dod

Return to “Airport Lounge”