Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Naples

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Naples

Postby malkymoo » July 15th, 2018, 3:39 pm

I am considering a trip to Naples early November and would appreciate any comment/tips.

I would be going for a week, thinking of visiting Pompeii, Vesuvius, looking around the city. I know Naples has a poor reputation for petty crime and urban chaos, but have read elsewhere on the internet that this is exaggerated, any first-hand advice?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

BBLSP1
2 Lemon pips

Re: Naples

Postby BBLSP1 » July 16th, 2018, 6:10 am

Get hold of a copy and read 'Naples 44' by Norman Lewis to understand where the city began from coming out of WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples_%2744

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » July 16th, 2018, 8:15 am

Already have "Naples 44" thanks. Good recommendation though!

HarryCat

Postby HarryCat » July 16th, 2018, 12:07 pm

We went to Naples and Capri a couple of months ago. Naples is fairly chaotic as it is one of the few cities in the world where normal people actually live in the centre. As in any large city there is some petty crime - but I think I suspect it more of a reputation than current reality.
There are regular ferries to Capri and Sorrento if you have time. We stayed in Anacapri and it was beautiful and peaceful though rather expensive.
You can take a boat to Sorrento and then catch a train back to Naples in the evening.
The rooftop bar of Hotel San Francesco al Monte is worth the climb and Gran Caffe Gambrinus should not be missed.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » July 16th, 2018, 2:29 pm

malkymoo wrote:I am considering a trip to Naples early November and would appreciate any comment/tips.

I would be going for a week, thinking of visiting Pompeii, Vesuvius, looking around the city. I know Naples has a poor reputation for petty crime and urban chaos, but have read elsewhere on the internet that this is exaggerated, any first-hand advice?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

We stayed in Sorrento a couple of years back, so more general advice really. The local trains are a bit rough and ready, no, let's say functional, but cheap, frequent, and easy. There's always buskers on them, but they don't hassle you that much.

Herculaneum also well worth a visit too. Though I'd visit it before you go to Pompeii, both great but Herculaneum might seem a bit small after Pompeii but it has its own charms.

Wonderful part of the world. Have fun!

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » July 17th, 2018, 10:45 am

I visited Sorrento / Ercolano/ Amalfi etc. in early June, but not Naples. I think tours up Vesuvius are temporarily curtialed due to last years arson of the forest.

Here a few suggestions I got from a Neapolitan doctor I met on the flight to Naples (he sent them to me by email)_:

You can access the historical centre by taking the metro and getting down in Dante.

From there you should ask directions for the Conservatorio di Musica Pietro Majella. It is just behind the main square and you are straight into the middle of the old city. Narrow streets.

Here I suggest you visit Cappella San Severo, have a walk around Piazza del Gesu, Piazza San Domenico and Piazzetta Nilo.

In this area I would definitely reccommend these places to eat great food:

1) a pizza at pizzeria Sorbillo (mind the timing, there are long queues usually, try to get there around 12am or at night 7pm)
2) a Ragu (which is a very typical Neapolitan dish made of meat) at a restaurant called Tandem in Via Nilo (this one needs prior booking, just a couple of hours earlier)
3) "frittatina" da Di Matteo, delicious street food

If you feel like walking a little after all this eating, go back to Dante and walk all the way to the seaside via Toledo (pretty big street a bit like Oxford Street, you can't miss it). It's a 20-25 mins walk to the sea and you will also pass by Piazza del Plebiscito which is beautiful and the Royal Castle of the Bourbon Family. On via Toledo there is also the Gallery which is pretty nice, and just in the entrance of the gallery there is an ancient Pasticcieria, very small, that sells truly amazing pastries. I strongly suggest you try the sfogliatella (sic) and babbà (aka Rum Baba)

I hope you enjoy Naples, it is a wonderful place.

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » July 20th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will be going ahead with the trip, will try to remember to report back here afterwards!

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » July 30th, 2018, 8:59 am

Thanks again for all the advice. I've booked our tickets, Easyjet from Bristol, £71 each return. Also booked a nice-looking B&B off via Toledo. Will report back after our visit!

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » November 14th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Just back from my trip to Naples, had a great time! Weather mostly sunny, a few showers, temperatures in low 20s.

Plenty of things too see and do. Fascinating city centre, went to Pompeii and up to the top of Vesuvius, visited a hot spa, lots of markets to keep my wife happy! Plenty of good food, more pizzas than you could shake at stick at, including deep-fried pizza (better than it sounds!).

Is it dirty? The main streets are as clean as any other major city. Away from there some of the back streets were rather scruffy.

We had no problem with crime. The only thing that happened was that a woman sat a close as she could to us in an otherwise empty carriage on the train to Pompeii, we just went and sat in another carriage.

Would I go again? Yes, plenty of things we did not have time to do this visit.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 19th, 2018, 9:57 am

malkymoo wrote:We had no problem with crime.

The only place I have ever had anything stolen whilst on holiday was Naples from pick pockets on the tram.

I had to congratulate them on the execution; a bit of jostling from two or three guys around the on-board ticket validator and when I sat down my phone had disappeared from my pocket and the jostling guys were now stood on the pavement as the tram pulled away.

I killed the phone remotely and popped into the nearby Questura Centrale (an interesting place with a police officer who looked like he had stepped off the set of Hill St Blues - leather jacket, three day growth, shades) for the insurance report form, and my travel insurance refunded the purchase price on a two year old phone that was due for replacement anyway.

Return to “Airport Lounge”