Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hand luggage only

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
pancake101
Lemon Pip

Hand luggage only

Postby pancake101 » July 25th, 2018, 10:10 am

Hi

I have done a week in the sun with hand luggage only. I had no problems. I had to push myself to make sure I wore everything! So could have taken less?

I am now going away for 10 days with my daughters family in a couple of months again to a resort in the sun. I will also stay a night either side at their home.

Do you think 10 days abroad with hand luggage only is feasible? Its not the cost factor or the even the waiting time at the carousel. I can take a large suitcase in the hold it is in the price and they are a family so are taking large luggage. I could even put the small suitcase into the hold with theirs. I suppose its the 'stuff' factor- the more room I would have, the more I would take that would not get used!! Liquids are ok - if I run out of something its not a problem to buy and to be honest 3 or my 100mls will be sunblock and another after sun!

Anyone done 10 days with hand luggage?

I will also take a small bag as well to be left at daughters for the two nights either side - along with cooler clothes for coming home!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Hand luggage only

Postby Dod101 » July 25th, 2018, 10:38 am

I never take more than hand luggage. In March I was in Hong Kong, Melbourne and Singapore over a three week period with only hand luggage. Provided you have facilities for washing shirts and undies it is no problem. Obviously I also had an ipad, notebook, and some books as well as a small camera, phone and so on. Easy!

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 25th, 2018, 11:23 am

Just back from 2 weeks in Germany on hand luggage. Did 3 weeks in Spain on hand luggage last year. Even then we didn't wear everything. I suppose we did cheat a bit in that one of the apartments we stayed in had a washing machine to we did a wash half way through.

We each have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002Q5APX4 which can be filled with a lot of stuff and still squeeze into the hand luggage sizers. Though we have found if you wear it on your back as you board then you never get challenged.

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 25th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Between july 1991 and july 1993 I backpacked rought around the world (2nd time!). Large tranches of that were contabntly moving - becaue I had toi iclude camping gear in that for the south pacific parts in particular I did have a large packpack. But - in terms of clothes, I will have spent multiple weeks and even a few months with a very small amount of clothes. And that included a "best for" "just in case" set of strides, collared shirt and tie. Footwear was limited to walking boots and a pair of thongs/flip-flops/jandals. And there was the backopackewrs approach of tee shirts being wearable four ways ... but those were extreme requirements/scenarios compared with the average limited venue holiday scenarios with good laundry facilities etc available.

I'd say go for it - if only as a proof of concept. If you need more in the end you can always buy locally and either dump it or bring it home (in one ofbthe family's bags maybe ;-). I did have a chum who back in the 80s went on a week's Greek beach holiday with a carrier bah costaining tooth brush and apste, a pair of pants and a tee shirt, planning to buy and dump anything else he needed!

didds

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 25th, 2018, 7:59 pm

I can't remember the last time I took anything other than hand baggage. It's particularly easy if you're going to somewhere with weather that's likely to be consistent, so you don't have to pack for different weather conditions.

It's a very liberating experience if you're used to travelling with hold luggage.

We each have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002Q5APX4

That looks good value. But I would personally always prefer a wheeled case to one that had to be carried, particularly if it's very hot weather, or (as in Schiphol) you may have to walk miles to reach your gate.

As it's the RAF centenary year you may fancy one of these - remarkably good value - https://www.globe-trotter.com/shop/lugg ... ium-black/

;)

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 25th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Earlier this year I did 7 weeks in the Far East with a carry-on size case, but I checked it in when flying, because I like to take a small pair of scissors, plus a razor, along with liquids like shaving gel, sun creams and the like which were larger than 100ml. Accepted I could take smaller sizes of creams and liquids, or buy them locally on arrival, but the scissors are the main obstacle.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 25th, 2018, 8:12 pm

richfool wrote:Earlier this year I did 7 weeks in the Far East with a carry-on size case, but I checked it in when flying, because I like to take a small pair of scissors, plus a razor, along with liquids like shaving gel, sun creams and the like which were larger than 100ml. Accepted I could take smaller sizes of creams and liquids, or buy them locally on arrival, but the scissors are the main obstacle.

Small scissors are fine in hand luggage (blade less than 6cm). And assuming the razor isn't a cut-throat one, it's fine too.

Scott.

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » July 25th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Thanks all.

I will go hand luggage size only, now with a view to putting it in the hold - saves the hassle of putting it up high and generally having it around when it can be elsewhere!

Also on a flight earlier in the year, we were told that some hand luggage needed to go in the hold and if not enough people came forward they would randomly be chosen! I see too, that this has become another charge at times- pay to ensure your hand luggage is taken into the cabin.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 26th, 2018, 9:27 am

swill453 wrote:Small scissors are fine in hand luggage (blade less than 6cm). And assuming the razor isn't a cut-throat one, it's fine too.

Thanks Swill, for that "heads up". I didn't know that.

Pancake, yes I like to check-in my baggage (even when hand baggage size), as that then leaves me free to wander the shops etc of the departure lounges, relatively unencumbered.

I also like to have a small bag or case, as that makes life easier, hopping in and out of taxis or using underground trains etc upon arrival in other cities.

In Bangkok, for example, if taking a taxi from the street, I am always slightly concerned if the driver "pops the boot", for me to put my larger case in, that he then drives off, before I can back and in the door. With a small bag or case, I can take it inside the taxi with me.

Similarly, many underground/subway systems, have barriers to prevent large items being wheeled through. Also it can be problematical getting both oneself and one's larger wheeled case through the automated ticket barriers at the same time, and not all have a separate gate for those with large luggage. Thus I like to carry small.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 26th, 2018, 4:52 pm

pancake101 wrote:Also on a flight earlier in the year, we were told that some hand luggage needed to go in the hold and if not enough people came forward they would randomly be chosen! I see too, that this has become another charge at times- pay to ensure your hand luggage is taken into the cabin.

On our last trip to Portugal, they were asking as we boarded if my max hand luggage sized wheely case could go in the hold. I said no as it had my CPAP machine and camera in and I couldn't risk them. They said OK.

There was one chap who got to the door of the plane with 2 bags, each about twice the permitted size, who was very miffed that they were taken off him to go in the hold. Some people are idiots!

Slarti

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 26th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Slarti wrote:On our last trip to Portugal, they were asking as we boarded if my max hand luggage sized wheely case could go in the hold. I said no as it had my CPAP machine and camera in and I couldn't risk them. They said OK.

I guess it must have been the CPAP machine which swung it. The (Easyjet) staff I've seen telling people their bag is going in the hold are usually pretty assertive and wouldn't be persuaded otherwise by a camera.

Scott.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 26th, 2018, 5:07 pm

swill453 wrote:I guess it must have been the CPAP machine which swung it. The (Easyjet) staff I've seen telling people their bag is going in the hold are usually pretty assertive and wouldn't be persuaded otherwise by a camera.

I did suspect as much, though we were amongst the first on, being passengers with assistance, so they could always be assertive with later passengers. :D

Slarti

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 26th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Hand baggage only for me, for many years now. Two main reasons:

1) The baggage claim wait can be tedious

2) My bag has enough important and personal items in it that it never leaves my sight. I even get nervous when it goes on the security conveyor belt.

I do buy clothes and personal items on a trip at some times, whilst discarding some at other times. But hand baggage only is freedom.

All that said, I do fly on airlines and in cabins that have a liberal bag policy. I have never flown EasyJet or RyanAir, for instance.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 27th, 2018, 8:52 am

nd... as a caveat there is always the "danger" that if the EJ/RA etc flight is very full, and you are one of the last on board, there may be no overhead locker space left for your hand luggage and it _has_ to be stowed (for free! woopy doo!) anyway. Of course if your hand luggage is so small it can fit under your seat then you may escape this worst-case scenario.

didds

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 28th, 2018, 8:21 am

didds wrote:nd... as a caveat there is always the "danger" that if the EJ/RA etc flight is very full, and you are one of the last on board, there may be no overhead locker space left for your hand luggage and it _has_ to be stowed (for free! woopy doo!) anyway. Of course if your hand luggage is so small it can fit under your seat then you may escape this worst-case scenario.

With the last few flights I have done with Ryanair, if you have not paid for priority boarding and so are allowed to take two bags on, then everyone's larger bag has gone into the hold. The only exceptions seem to be rucksacks as possibly Ryanair don't want the damage claims if the straps get caught when they come back out on the luggage carousel.

As for doing 10 days, 7 days is easy, 10 takes planning, and more than that lots of planning. I have a case similar to these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revelation-Sui ... B01BHMV8VY It is the maximum size for Ryanair and was the lightest I could find that felt like it could stand going into the hold if needed. Two wheels gives more space inside the case than four.

The only particular issue I have found with travelling hand-luggage only is shoes, especially if you have big feet, both for the size they take up in the case and the weight.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 28th, 2018, 9:06 am

AF62 wrote:The only particular issue I have found with travelling hand-luggage only is shoes, especially if you have big feet, both for the size they take up in the case and the weight.

I am curious why you would need more than one pair of shoes for a trip? I have worn the same pair of shoes (black Doc Martens) every day for the last two years. And since I am wearing them I never need to pack shoes at all.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 28th, 2018, 9:14 am

Lootman has just gone down in my estimation :D Fancy wearing the same shoes for two years! Apart from anything else it is not good for your feet.

I wear a decent pair and carry trainer type shoes for doing my sightseeing but I agree with AF62 that is the only problem.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 28th, 2018, 9:34 am

For my recent 2 week trip to Germany on hand luggage, I wore walking shoes/trainers for the journey, and packed smart shoes and sandals.

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 28th, 2018, 10:18 am

Dod101 wrote:Lootman has just gone down in my estimation :D Fancy wearing the same shoes for two years! Apart from anything else it is not good for your feet.

These shoes are perfect. They are smart enough for weddings and funerals, stout and sturdy enough for walking, comfortable and long-lasting. And they have a lifetime guarantee so when they wear out I get a free replacement pair.

At the risk of sounding like an advert, they are literally the last pair of shoes I will ever buy.

I can see the need for a pair of sandals if I go to the beach. And I keep a pair of old boots in the solarium for gardening so I don't traipse mud into the house. But that's it.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 28th, 2018, 10:34 am

Obviously I need to investigate. Thank you.

Dod

Return to “Airport Lounge”