Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Scilly Isles

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Scilly Isles

Postby Nimrod103 » August 27th, 2018, 10:11 pm

My wife has expressed an interest in going to the Scilly isles next year. Is accommodation plentiful, and what is the best way of getting there? The main island seems pretty small, and the others even smaller - is there much to do, apart from walking the coastal paths, and doing Tresco Gardens?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Scilly Isles

Postby Dod101 » August 28th, 2018, 7:31 am

Visit Harold Wilson's grave.

Dod

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » August 28th, 2018, 8:45 am

I’ve been there many times. It’s a wonderful tranquil place with clear water and stunning views wherever you look. It can look like the Caribbean but still with U.K. water temperatures.

As for activities, think top quality British seaside without the people. White sandy beaches which on the mainland would be rammed you will have to yourself, especially on the smaller islands. You can take boat trips to other islands, walk, kayak, sail, hire a boat, go seal/bird watching, spend time on the beach or find your favourite pub. Local fresh seafood is great. The whole place has a relaxed feel. Few cars, no-one locks anything up.

Accommodation wise, there are lots of B&Bs on St Mary’s. The best hotels on the islands are Star Castle on St Mary’s and Hell Bay on Bryher. There are a couple of campsites if you’re tough. You can rent houses on several islands, with Tresco having the best (and most expensive).

The options to get there are in rising order of price:-

- Boat from Penzance (has a flat bottom so will make you seasick if you’re vulnerable)
- 8 seater plane from Lands End (great if you like flying, no so great if you don’t)
- 20 seater plane from Newquay or Exeter
- 10 seater helicopter from Lands End (very expensive).

I’d suggest you give it a try. It’s a magical place if you ‘get’ the islands.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » August 28th, 2018, 9:43 am

Agree 100%. Been a few times, first time in 1970, last time 2015. If you stay on St Marys you can take a boat to an Island a day from tbe quay and walk your socks off. Brilliant destination. A neighbour goes every year, sometimes twice. Smugglers Cottage on Tresco is our favourite.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » August 28th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Nimrod...

One further point, given some of your other posts. In common with many other communities that have actual first-hand experience of EU migration (seasonal workers in hotels and agricultural, some of whom have settled on the islands), Scilly voted to remain in the EU in 2016. Don’t let that put you off!

To be fair, in common with other areas of the West of England and Wales, Scilly has benefitted from EU regional development funding.

It’s worth noting that compared with the politically powerful Scottish islands where travel, health and education are lavishly subsidised, Scilly gets very little in the way of U.K. support so every visitor helps.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 28th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Spet0789 wrote:Nimrod...

One further point, given some of your other posts. In common with many other communities that have actual first-hand experience of EU migration (seasonal workers in hotels and agricultural, some of whom have settled on the islands), Scilly voted to remain in the EU in 2016. Don’t let that put you off!

To be fair, in common with other areas of the West of England and Wales, Scilly has benefitted from EU regional development funding.

It’s worth noting that compared with the politically powerful Scottish islands where travel, health and education are lavishly subsidised, Scilly gets very little in the way of U.K. support so every visitor helps.

Not really the right thread for these type of comments, but I do note that the Scilly Isles got £2MM of EU aid last year (https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... sh-746128#), which works out at £1000 per person, not bad really. Seriously, I worry that the market being so small, the pubs and restaurants will be pricey, and the attractions limited.
Re Harold Wilson's grave - I had completely forgotten about him. The election campaign of 1964 is my first memory of politics. Strange how, at the time, he was regarded as the Svengali of the HoC, capable of anything, yet in all recent debate of the 1960s and 70s about the Common Market, seems to have left almost no trace nor reputation to speak of.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » August 28th, 2018, 8:22 pm

It is pricey, for sure. But generally good quality. Many of the best attractions are free - clean air, fantastic views, good walking.

As I said, if you ‘get’ the place, you will love it. If you don’t, it remains quieter and more exclusive for those of us who do. To each his own.

Personally I think it’s a wonderful place. Weather permitting I’ll be there in a couple of weekends for a day trip.

Return to “Airport Lounge”