Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Egypt. Safe?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Re: Egypt. Safe?

Postby absolutezero » September 20th, 2018, 6:56 pm

ap8889 wrote:Jammy sod, I am jealous. Athens is a great place to spend time especially if like me you like antiquities and sculpture. The Jockey of Artemision is one of the most incredibly vivid sculptures I have ever encountered, please go and visit.

Athens is a bit of a dump if I'm totally honest.
Some nice things to look at and the weather is great but the actual city? A dump.

Re: The statue. it look amazing.
Entry fee is 10 euros.
Again, what's 10 euros?
Last edited by absolutezero on September 20th, 2018, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 20th, 2018, 7:00 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
IMHO that not the point. What if you arrived at a remote airport on a delayed flight and the gouged fare was 100 Euro higher, or more?

But it wasn't. So it's an academic discussion.

However, in Athens, gouging more than the state mandated 38 euros is a crime and you can call the police. Asking for a receipt would have put a stop to it.
But I didn't. Had he gone to 138 euros then I would have asked for a receipt and called the police if needed.
From reading forums, fleecing tourists is a sport to Athenian taxi drivers.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 21st, 2018, 6:14 am

FredBloggs wrote:
absolutezero wrote:However, in Athens, gouging more than the state mandated 38 euros is a crime and you can call the police. Asking for a receipt would have put a stop to it.
But I didn't. Had he gone to 138 euros then I would have asked for a receipt and called the police if needed.

As indeed it is in many or even most countries, UK included. The solution to this issue begins with a "U".

Uber. And similar operators.

Or use public transport. When we went to Athens in 2016 we bought 3-day tourist transport tickets for 22 euros each, which gave us a return airport journey on the metro plus unlimited public transport use.

Scott.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 21st, 2018, 9:09 am

swill453 wrote:
FredBloggs wrote:
absolutezero wrote:However, in Athens, gouging more than the state mandated 38 euros is a crime and you can call the police. Asking for a receipt would have put a stop to it.

As indeed it is in many or even most countries, UK included. The solution to this issue begins with a "U".

Uber. And similar operators.

Or use public transport. When we went to Athens in 2016 we bought 3-day tourist transport tickets for 22 euros each, which gave us a return airport journey on the metro plus unlimited public transport use.

Scott.

Sounds a good deal.We tend to do a LOT of walking!

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » November 14th, 2018, 12:45 pm

To follow up on this discussion.

I am currently sitting in an airport hotel at Cairo before my flight home tonight.
I have been here a week and we had meetings in Cairo and Alexandria.

I am delighted to report that Egypt feels very safe and at no point have I felt in any danger whatsoever.

Airport security is very thorough.

The people are a delight to deal with. So polite and very friendly. One woman even grabbed us and stopped us from crossing the road telling us how dangerous it was. And I do mean literally grabbed as I stepped into the oncoming traffic (which stops for you if you 'play the game'.

The only problem I have had is spending a bit of time on the toilet.... Seems eating something in Alexandria has disagreed with me but that's common.

Would I come back here?
Absolutely. I would come here again and without a second thought.
Keep in mind I am a total wuss.

Return to “Airport Lounge”