Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Dubai - what does it have to offer in October/November?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Dubai - what does it have to offer in October/November?

Postby Clariman » September 6th, 2018, 11:56 am

What does Dubai have to offer those who like a holiday with a combination of: interesting surroundings (architecture or landscape), culture, history, nice food, things to do? We're considering a 5 to 7 day break in late October or early November.

I was in Dubai on business in the early 2000s, staying in the Jumeira beach area, and came away with the view that Dubai would be fine for a week if you wanted to stay in a really nice hotel with good food and service and you wanted a bit of sun and warmth during our winter. However, culturally I felt it didn't have as much to offer as I would have hoped. I didn't feel as if I was in a non-Western culture particularly, I though the gold souk wasn't the mysterious 'Aladin's Cave' that I had expected - it was more like Croydon's Whitgift Shopping Centre in the 1980s. The spice souk was more interesting.

When I had a free afternoon, I asked the hotel concierge what sites I should see. All he suggested was the shopping malls. While I know lots of people like shopping that is NOT what I go on holiday for.

That was nearly 20 years ago now and I know there has been loads more development. So given our holiday interests, what does today's Dubai have to offer tourists like us?

Many thanks
Clariman

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Dubai - what does it have to offer in October/November?

Postby redsturgeon » September 6th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Short answer...nothing much.

I've had a couple of short stays there but would not go back for several reasons.

1. As you rightly say, not much to do or see culturally.

2. Yes it is hot but the haze from dust and pollution spoils it a bit.

3. It has beaches but not your beautiful unspoilt tropical beach with palm trees.

4. Politically it is not great. Fine if you don't upset anyone but if you do then don't expect any 'human rights".

5. In theory you could be locked up for: drinking alcohol anywhere, possession of prescription meds that are legal in the UK, public displays of affection, any sexual act outside of marriage, consensual sodomy...the list goes on.

I've decided not to revisit.

John

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Re: Dubai - what does it have to offer in October/November?

Postby malkymoo » September 6th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Have to agree with redsturgeon.

I visited Dubai for a few days as a stopover on a trip to Australia. The area round the Creek is fascinating, the Burj Khalifa is ok just to say you have been there, but the rest of it is just a sprawling modern city.

For the reasons outline by red sturgeon I would not go back, certainly not for a holiday. Just my opinion, some people seem to love it!

Return to “Airport Lounge”