Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Uber

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Uber

Postby Clitheroekid » October 4th, 2018, 11:21 pm

I'd started this as a response to the comments by FredBloggs, but it was so OT from the safety or otherwise of Egypt that I thought I'd better post it separately.

swill453 wrote:As indeed it is in many or even most countries, UK included. The solution to this issue begins with a "U".

Uber. And similar operators.

I know Uber tend to be a Marmite company, but I think they're brilliant. I arrived in Porto last week (very highly recommended for a city break) at about 9pm after a long, but enjoyable train journey. My hotel wasn't within walking distance, so on leaving the station I looked for a cab.

Although there was a taxi rank there were no actual taxis, which was somewhat confusing, as it was a midweek evening and not particularly busy.

I asked one of the locals where they all were, and he said they were on strike - because of Uber.

This was a major PITA, as I really didn't want to start trying to work out how to use Porto's public transport system at that time of night.

So the solution? Uber! :D

I booked one through the excellent app on my phone, and as usual got an instant response, the only odd aspect being a direction to pick me up in a local side street, rather than outside the station entrance.

The driver was there within a few minutes and spoke excellent English. He said they couldn't risk picking passengers up in a popular location, as they had been attacked by the local taxi drivers and their vehicles had been vandalised. He'd had to remove the Uber badging from his car to avoid their tender attentions.

And as usual he took me to my hotel at an incredibly reasonable price. I had quite a chat with him during the journey, and he clearly loved working for them and said he made a decent living.

Whilst I do have serious reservations about some aspects of the `gig economy' I think Uber are a brilliant service. I also suspect the reason conventional cab drivers don't like them is that the Uber drivers are willing to work fairly hard to earn their money, whereas conventional cabbies have got used to exploiting their monopoly status to charge through the nose for not much work. They remind me of the print unions of the 1980's.

I also think that Uber do a good job in that by making travel by taxi affordable for ordinary people - the sharing option is particularly good - they reduce private car use and thereby reduce congestion in cities.

But as they say in the DM bring on the red arrows!

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Uber

Postby Howyoudoin » October 4th, 2018, 11:37 pm

I was in an unknown (to me) part of London last month and had some VERY heavy shopping, so decided to call an Uber for the first time.

It came within a minute. I'm being serious. I couldn't believe it.

Not only that but the price was crazy cheap.

Therefore, i'm an UBER convert . . . . and yet i'm not. I'm not comfortable with them being so cheap if that makes sense? Not when their drivers are saying that they are struggling to make a living. So i'm torn.

:(

HYD

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Uber

Postby Slarti » October 5th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Might be good in cities, but bugger all use out of them as they don't exist!

Slarti

Return to “Airport Lounge”