Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

HK: watch any valuables you put in overhead lockers in-flight

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

HK: watch any valuables you put in overhead lockers in-flight

Postby DiamondEcho » October 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm

I'm cautious anyway, and watch anyone going near an overhead 'bin' comtaining any luggage of mine, but....
[edited short extracts]
'Police called after passengers complain of mid-flight thefts'
'Police were called to meet a flight landing at Hong Kong airport after a number of passengers complained of having valuables stolen while in the air.
Two passengers on the 13-hour flight from Johannesburg complained to cabin crew that they had “lost their valuables”, according to a spokesperson for South African Airways, who said the incident took place on Flight SA286 last week. ....
He said that police boarded the aircraft after landing and that nothing was found on the suspects so they were released.
“The rest of the passengers disembarked and the suspects identified were ordered to remain in the aircraft and were searched by the police in Hong Kong,” Tlali told TravelMole, adding that items alleged to have been taken were later found by cleaning staff and returned to their owners.
In-air thefts in and out of Hong Kong have been a problem for years, though earlier this year police said incidents had fallen some 90 per cent after a warning was issued to travellers to keep closer tabs on belongings.'
From today's Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... ica-flight

BBLSP1
2 Lemon pips

Re: HK: watch any valuables you put in overhead lockers in-flight

Postby BBLSP1 » October 9th, 2018, 6:50 am

What most people seem to do is put their carry on bag in the overhead bin directly above their seat. Whereas it is better to put it in the bin across the aisle and slightly forward from where you are sitting such that you can see your bag whenever the bin is opened. If you are especially paranoid, bury any valuable stuff deep in the bag such that the time to expose it is greater than any time you might spend in the bathroom!

Anything really valuable is best kept in a smaller bag on your body or under the seat in front of you and taken with you to the bathroom etc. as and when you need to leave your seat.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 9th, 2018, 11:58 am

Interesting. Thanks for this. I'm flying to HK tomorrow as it happens.
And yes, always use the bins across the aisle and a couple of rows in front.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 9th, 2018, 10:36 pm

BBLSP1 wrote:it is better to put it in the bin across the aisle and slightly forward from where you are sitting such that you can see your bag whenever the bin is opened.

Thanks BBLSP, you know that's a really sensible and intuitive suggestion - that I'd never thought of. Usually I try to put hand-baggage directly overhead, BUT have $$$ stuff in a small bag under my seat or small $$$ items in my jacket. I never leave my seat without my jacket. I never leave the bag under my seat if my wife isn't there to watch it. BUT, getting an eyeline to my hand-luggage a bin opposite rather than above is one of those good tips 'that seems obvious when someone makes it'. Thx +1!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 9th, 2018, 10:44 pm

absolutezero wrote:always use the bins across the aisle and a couple of rows in front.

Unless you are in the front couple of rows of course. :)

It also implies trying to board early as the overhead bins do fill up. Typically those at the front board earliest, so in practice the bins ahead of you may be full. The worst situation is having to stow your bags in a bin behind you. You cannot keep a eye on them and you have to fight the crush to retrieve them when you land.

Of course if you fall asleep then you cannot keep your eye on your bags anyway, and that is apparently when thieves like to strike.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 16th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Lootman wrote:
absolutezero wrote:always use the bins across the aisle and a couple of rows in front.

It also implies trying to board early as the overhead bins do fill up. Typically those at the front board earliest, so in practice the bins ahead of you may be full. .

Just shift other people's stuff. That's what I've done before.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 16th, 2018, 6:56 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Lootman wrote:

It also implies trying to board early as the overhead bins do fill up. Typically those at the front board earliest, so in practice the bins ahead of you may be full. .

Just shift other people's stuff. That's what I've done before.

Ha, maybe, but that could start an air rage incident . .

sedices

Postby sedices » October 18th, 2018, 6:25 am

BBLSP1 wrote:What most people seem to do is put their carry on bag in the overhead bin directly above their seat. Whereas it is better to put it in the bin across the aisle and slightly forward from where you are sitting such that you can see your bag whenever the bin is opened. If you are especially paranoid, bury any valuable stuff deep in the bag such that the time to expose it is greater than any time you might spend in the bathroom!

Anything really valuable is best kept in a smaller bag on your body or under the seat in front of you and taken with you to the bathroom etc. as and when you need to leave your seat.

Good point. I've always stored my bags in the overhead bin directly above me. I've also read somewhere that there seems to be some kind of Asian mafia or gang who targets people's bags in airplanes and when people aren't looking, they move the bag to another compartment. Not sure if the gang/mafia thing is true though. But best to be aware and put a lock on your bags if there's something valuable.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 18th, 2018, 7:57 am

I travelled back and forth between HK and London very regularly for about 25 years (and many other places) and never in that time was this a problem. Mind you I seldom carried anything remotely like valuables. The problem was quite common with checked in luggage though, by baggage handlers. Maybe since the riff raff can afford to fly things have changed.

In fact I recall that I once had a client who was taking a collection of valuable (even in these days, at least a million sterling) Japanese woodblock prints from HK to San Francisco for restoration, and the underwriters were very happy that he carried them personally and placed them in an overhead locker. The condition was that on arrival in San Francisco, they were taken directly to a bank safe and withdrawn by the restorer at most two prints at a time. I have always regarded an aircraft cabin as fairly safe in flight.

Dod

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » October 19th, 2018, 6:09 am

Dod101 wrote:I travelled back and forth between HK and London very regularly for about 25 years. Dod

Me too and for a similar period. There was one incident however.

Our flight to Hong Kong had a stopover en route where I suspect the robber may have boarded. I witnessed an incident in the middle of the night when almost the whole cabin was asleep.

A guy was quietly rummaging through the overhead locker of the seats in front of me. He was looking in bags in a way that struck me as unusual and therefore suspicious. After he finished, I woke up the couple sleeping below the locker and they checked their bags, the same ones the guy had been looking in. They declared nothing was missing but with a tired exasperated look at me as though I was some kind of nutter.

I later spotted the culprit sitting in an isle seat about 7 rows behind. Any time I got up his eyes darted straight at me and he looked anxious. He was patently a Chinese mainlander who are suspected to be behind these crimes. In those days, mainlanders, as distinct from Hong Kongers, were relatively easily spotted with a practised eye due to unique clothing and hair styles, etc,

TP2,

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 19th, 2018, 9:53 am

Dod101 wrote:I travelled back and forth between HK and London very regularly for about 25 years (and many other places) and never in that time was this a problem.

The original story mentions South Africa - HK flights. There's your problem. South Africa. Lawless hellhole.

Return to “Airport Lounge”