Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Auschwitz travel advice please

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Longtermyieldman
Lemon Pip

Auschwitz travel advice please

Postby Longtermyieldman » December 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm

I'm visiting Krakow in early February and would like to take a trip to Auschwitz. Most of the packages offered seem to consist of transport, a guided tour of the camp/museum and a minimal amount of time to explore at one's own pace. I'd like a couple of hours for the last of these items. Can anyone recommend a company that provides this?

SeagoonN

Re: Auschwitz travel advice please

Postby SeagoonN » December 12th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Try the DIY route - it worked for us in April 2015 and this is how it went:

1) Buy a ticket on a minibus leaving from the main bus station in Krakow (located next to the railway station). There are quite a few of these minibuses and you will need to get an early one that arrives in Oświęcim (Auschwitz) around 09:30.

2) The reason for getting to Oświęcim early is that entry to Auschwitz I is by guided tour only from 10:00 onwards. Before 10:00 you can enter with a free ticket (that you need to download and print in advance) and then wander around by yourself. There are also fewer visitors in the early morning. Note that you cannot take in a backpack, or similar bag, that is larger than 30x20x10cm. Free storage lockers are available if you need to park a bag.

3) When you have finished at Auschwitz I you can take a free shuttle bus to Auschwitz II (Birkenau). Allow plenty of time here as the site covers a very large area. Entry is free and there is no obligation to take a guided tour. As you will be going in February, you will need to wrap up very well especially if it is windy. There is no shelter from the weather at Birkenau other than inside one of the unheated barrack huts where the prisoners were kept.

4) When it's time to go back to Krakow, you have a couple of choices: a) find a minubus going back to Krakow or b) take the train. Oświęcim railway station is about a 1km walk from Birkenau. There are direct trains to Krakow but they are fairly slow, although that does give you a chance to see something of the countryside.

Language: we found that bus, railway and Auschwitz staff spoke English so no problems with buying tickets etc.

Check this website for more details: http://auschwitz.org/en/visiting/

hth
Neddy

Longtermyieldman
Lemon Pip

Postby Longtermyieldman » December 14th, 2018, 11:08 am

Thanks Neddy. Are there lots of these minibuses, and do you know what time I'd have to catch one to be sure of arriving in good time for 9.30?

SeagoonN

Postby SeagoonN » December 15th, 2018, 1:55 pm

I looked at my notes and see that we caught a minibus leaving Krakow at 07:10 - the journey time is about 1hr 25mins so leaving later might be too late to beat the 10:00 deadline.

Have a look at this website for bus details, including timetables:

https://www.busy-krk.pl/en/oswiecim-krakow/

You can buy tickets online which would save queuing at the bus station.

Good luck.

Neddy

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 15th, 2018, 2:31 pm

This isn't travel advice but I'm assuming that you may like to know about the history of Auschwitz, if you do not already, before you visit. The Lipstadt v Irving libel case brought together most of the accepted history about the site and the expert report produced by Robert Jan Van Pelt is most informative and IMO the best single resource for understanding what happened there. You can view it here:

https://www.hdot.org/vanpelt_toc/

I hope you have a good visit.

RC

Longtermyieldman
Lemon Pip

Postby Longtermyieldman » December 15th, 2018, 10:45 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:This isn't travel advice but I'm assuming that you may like to know about the history of Auschwitz, if you do not already, before you visit. The Lipstadt v Irving libel case brought together most of the accepted history about the site and the expert report produced by Robert Jan Van Pelt is most informative and IMO the best single resource for understanding what happened there. You can view it here:

https://www.hdot.org/vanpelt_toc/

I hope you have a good visit.

RC

Thanks - and thanks to Neddy also re the travel info. Yes, I'm aware of the court case, have watched the film based on it and coincidentally know a few people at Mischon de Reya, the law firm that acted for Lipstadt.

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » December 20th, 2018, 11:12 am

Can I suggest that while in Krakov itself you try the excellent various well-signposted official walks. They are all easily managed and they beat blundering about on your own as all sights are included.

I did them all while my wife attended a conference. They remain an enduring memory! Just do it!

TP2.

Longtermyieldman
Lemon Pip

Postby Longtermyieldman » December 21st, 2018, 7:49 pm

TahiPanasDua wrote:Can I suggest that while in Krakov itself you try the excellent various well-signposted official walks. They are all easily managed and they beat blundering about on your own as all sights are included.

I did them all while my wife attended a conference. They remain an enduring memory! Just do it!

TP2.

Thanks - will do!

Return to “Airport Lounge”