Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

It's that time of year ...

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

It's that time of year ...

Postby Clitheroekid » January 22nd, 2019, 9:21 pm

... when I'm in search of some sun. I went to Lanzarote last year, which I enjoyed, and the weather was fairly good, but I've no huge inclination to go back, at least for the time being. I also think I was fairly lucky with the weather, as some friends who went a few days after I'd returned had quite a bit of rain, and cool temperatures.

I've been offered the use of an apartment in Cape Verde, which I'm certainly tempted by. The only problem is that it's on Sal, and having done my research there appears to be very little there except beautiful beaches. Although I do enjoy beaches I'm far from being a beach bunny, and I'd like other things to do as well.

I'd thought I could maybe do a bit of island hopping, one of my favourite activities, but there don't appear to be many ferry services between the islands, possibly because they're quite far apart. It's possible to fly, but I don't really want to spend any more time at airports than I have to. Anyway, it's nothing like as enjoyable as being on a boat.

So I'm dithering, and would appreciate comments from anyone who's ever visited Sal.

An interesting option I've been looking at is Oman. I first thought of it when I saw that their version of the Royal Opera House has some performances of La Traviata in early February. I have a personal bucket list of seeing it in as many different places as possible (one must forgive an aged gent his eccentricities!) so that's a big draw. And having looked into it since, it seems like a really interesting - and in many places a very beautiful - country. The weather also looks spot on, sunny and around 26.

Again, if anyone's been there on holiday any thoughts would be welcome.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: It's that time of year ...

Postby Lootman » January 22nd, 2019, 9:33 pm

I've been but am not the best reference as it was a diversion due to an aircraft issue. 24 hours in and around Muscat Airport doesn't count.

But it may reassure you to know that Oman Air is not a dry airline, unlike say Kuwait Airways, Saudia, EgyptAir, Iran Air, Royal Brunei, PIA, Air Arabia, Jazeera Airways and Iraqi Airways (not that you are likely to consider most of those anyway).

I'd go for Qatar personally . .

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 22nd, 2019, 9:52 pm

A relation of mine lives in Oman (Muscat) - she's worked there for 3 or 4 years. She loves it- great weather, nice people, lots to do.
Message from her last week - she was enjoying Madame Butterfly at the Royal Opera House!
There are also;
the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, mountains, desert, camels, turtles, beaches, Muttrah Souq, the bait al Zubair etc etc
Must pop over and visit, but it's quite a long flight (or flights)

Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Postby Peltiq » January 23rd, 2019, 4:16 am

I am curently in Thailand - 30C during the day, blue skies and the sea is a tepid 27C.

https://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/centaragrand/chbr/

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 24th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Peltiq wrote:I am curently in Thailand - 30C during the day, blue skies and the sea is a tepid 27C.

https://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/centaragrand/chbr/

Lucky you! I love Thailand, but it's too far to fly for a short break.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 24th, 2019, 5:43 pm

CK

You might find Kirker Holidays' information on Oman interesting. See: www.kirkerholidays.com/destinations/further-afield/oman

I'm not suggesting you might travel with them, but they usually use nice hotels and know the most interesting places to visit, so they are a good source of ideas. I just happened to be reading a mailing from them today and see that they do have a guided holiday which visits Muscat and the Opera House but not at this time of year.

Flight time from Manchester is up to 8 hours which is a long time to sit (or lie :D ) on an aeroplane to get a week's sunshine. If you are prepared to put up with that much travelling time it wouldn't be much further to fly to Florida which has a plethora of interesting cultural experiences to offer - just a thought.

Or, much closer, Tenerife should be warm. We enjoyed a week there, staying away from the busy areas. There was quite a bit to do including hiring a bike and cycling down from the top of Mount Teide - a brilliant experience!

regards

Howard

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 24th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Howard wrote:Or, much closer, Tenerife should be warm. We enjoyed a week there, staying away from the busy areas. There was quite a bit to do including hiring a bike and cycling down from the top of Mount Teide

Seriously? It must have been a white knuckle ride! Did they let you take the bikes up in the cable car, or did you do the 8-hour hike with the bikes?

Scott.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 24th, 2019, 7:14 pm

You won't believe me. I hired a mountain bike. And, I caught a lift with a minibus taking a bunch of lads from Manchester up to the top.

It was 2013 and I'd seen videos of Olympic riders training on Teide the year before and looked at Go Pro videos of riders coming down the mountain.

I did have second thoughts as the bus ground up the mountain road as it was a long way and the air was growing thinner. My fellow-passengers thought their grey-haired companion was completely mad. However, the bus driver was brilliant. He knew exactly where to drop me on the rim of the volcano, so it would be downhill all the way back. (And, you're right, it wasn't right at the top of the cable-car!!)

I knew from looking at the videos that the road surface was beautifully smooth (Thanks to the EU). The ride down was wonderful, but did involve a lot of careful braking near the top going through the most amazing volcanic rocky scenery. I'm not exaggerating to say that I didn't have to pedal for the whole way down (around 30km), only the last 100 metres into Los Christianos where I'd left the rental car.

The most dangerous bit was crossing the roundabout over the TF1 motorway at the bottom.

An unforgettable experience.

Howard

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 24th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Howard wrote:I did have second thoughts as the bus ground up the mountain road as it was a long way and the air was growing thinner. My fellow-passengers thought their grey-haired companion was completely mad. However, the bus driver was brilliant. He knew exactly where to drop me on the rim of the volcano, so it would be downhill all the way back. (And, you're right, it wasn't right at the top of the cable-car!!)

Ah, so you cycled down the road. That's where I started my 1300m (4300ft) climb to the top.

Scott.

TaurusTheBull
2 Lemon pips

Postby TaurusTheBull » February 8th, 2019, 9:55 am

Hi CK,

I used to work in Oman and I had a great time there. Alcohol is permitted, and we used to have an active darts league.

I was working at Mina Al Fahal, just outside Muscat. Although it was in the 1980s, we used to go shopping (these were cheap pirated cassette days) in and around Mutrah souk, and thought nothing of leaving the (empty) car unlocked. Those were the days!

Although most of my time was spent in and around Muscat (go to see the old cliff fort and the fish market), I did do trips out past Nizwa, to Bahla fort, a lovely old place surrounded by an oasis and with marvellous views to the rugged Jebel Akhdar mountains. It's fascinating observing the old falaj system of water channels cut into the mountains and hillsides.

I'd also recommend driving down to Sur to see traditional dhows being built.

I didn't get to Salalah but that is meant to be nice.

I've seen massive sand-dunes in the interior, but that was work-related, so you may find it difficult accessing that region by easy means. There were no tourist visas when I was there, but I can't imagine it's overrun with them.

Taurus

Return to “Airport Lounge”