Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 17th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Does anyone know?

Flight one from Newcastle to Amsterdam was cancelled causing flight two from Amsterdam to Johannesburg to be missed. KLM re-routed my wife and daughter to Johannesburg via Paris. The delay in flight one was 5h15 and flight two was was delayed by 13h30. Should a compensation claim be submitted for both flights individually or as a single entity?

Is there any advice one can give for making sure the compensation claim is full and complete (and compelling)? I have the original and re-routed boarding cards which I will attach to the claim.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation

Postby Raptor » February 17th, 2019, 2:02 pm

I used "Resolver" this week to claim. According to them you do not need and paperwork as the system knows whether you are on the flights in question or not. There was a web-site that you could check whether you are eligible, I think it was "bott & co".

Maybe worth plugging in the flight details and seeing what is applicable. You do not have to use them but it gives you an idea.

Raptor.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 17th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Raptor wrote:I used "Resolver" this week to claim. According to them you do not need and paperwork as the system knows whether you are on the flights in question or not. There was a web-site that you could check whether you are eligible, I think it was "bott & co".

Maybe worth plugging in the flight details and seeing what is applicable. You do not have to use them but it gives you an idea.

Raptor.

Many thanks for this Raptor. Resolver look easy to use, Bott & Co charge 25% plus £25 which seems fair (but maybe not necessary). I just need to check if I claim for both legs in the journey independently or jointly.

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » February 17th, 2019, 8:31 pm

“EC261” is what you need to google the details of for the airline that has delayed. You really shouldn’t have to pay an intermediary commission, the airlines are obliged to handle your claim directly. Please have a look at the Flyertalk site for further details if required!!

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 17th, 2019, 9:32 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:
Raptor wrote:I used "Resolver" this week to claim. According to them you do not need and paperwork as the system knows whether you are on the flights in question or not. There was a web-site that you could check whether you are eligible, I think it was "bott & co".

Raptor.

Many thanks for this Raptor. Resolver look easy to use, Bott & Co charge 25% plus £25 which seems fair (but maybe not necessary). I just need to check if I claim for both legs in the journey independently or jointly.

Resolver is free. I would use them. Obviously I cannot give you whether the results are good as just started the ball rolling.

Raptor.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 17th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Just had a quick read through moneysavingsexpert website about claiming compensation under ec261. Seems that if you have a flight from a to b via c and it is a single booking it is based on your final arrival time, but if each leg was booked separately then it is each leg. Have a read, I may have misread but think that is what Martin Lewis is saying.

Would give you the link but on tablet and I have given up on cut and paste....

Raptor

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 18th, 2019, 7:20 am

I think Raptor is correct. I have just been inter alia to Hong Kong from Edinburgh via London. BA all the way. Once I have presented myself to the gate at Edinburgh on time then BA is responsible for getting me to Hong Kong and it is considered as one journey so a delay along the way is for them to sort out. Presumably the passenger's had insurance? This may cover such a delay.

Dod

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 18th, 2019, 12:05 pm

The A to B to C journey is indeed one claim which has now been actioned via Resolver. Thanks to all for your help.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 26th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Just thought you maybe interested but through "resolver", claim entered 15th February. Now have a large cheque from Travel Company, got exactly what I expected, no quibble, just paid up.

Raptor.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 26th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Raptor wrote:Just thought you maybe interested but through "resolver", claim entered 15th February. Now have a large cheque from Travel Company, got exactly what I expected, no quibble, just paid up.

Raptor.

Already notified by KLM (via Resolver) that full compo is on its way. Very happy indeed.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 27th, 2019, 12:09 am

EssDeeAitch wrote:Bott & Co charge 25% plus £25 which seems fair (but maybe not necessary).

There was an interesting court case recently involving Bott & Co (`BC'). Personally, I detest such firms, as although they are practising solicitors they are exclusively engaged in work that for 99.9% of the time requires no legal skill or knowledge and is just parasitical.

Admittedly they couldn't exist without `clients' who are too lazy to do the simple form filling needed to claim flight compensation, so I suppose they deserve each other ...

Anyway, they got a bloody nose in the Court of Appeal the other day. One of the main companies they claim against is, perhaps not surprisingly, Ryanair. But although BC made claimants sign an authority for Ryanair to pay the compo directly to BC Ryanair was ignoring it and paying it directly to the claimants.

Needless to say, the only reason BC wanted the compo paying to them was so they could deduct their 30%. But to absolutely nobody's surprise they found that a remarkable number of their `clients' were somewhat reluctant to cough up when they were sent a bill.

They therefore sued Ryanair in the High Court, insisting that they had a `lien' on the compo, and that they must therefore pay it to BC, rather than the claimant.

Unfortunately, the judge disagreed, and said it was perfectly OK for Ryanair to bypass them and pay the claimant directly.

BC appealed to the Court of Appeal, but it was unanimously dismissed.

Incidentally, in the course of the judgment it was disclosed that BC are processing 25,000 claims a year at an average fee of £95 - a nice little earner (as was!)

For those who are interested the judgment is here - https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2019/143.html

Return to “Airport Lounge”