Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New York accommodation

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
jtr63
Lemon Pip

New York accommodation

Postby jtr63 » April 8th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Family looking to travel to NYC in August. Myself, wife, 17yo and 15yo. Has anyone got good, or bad, experiences to pass on regarding accommodation for such a party ?

TIA
John

Aprilfool62

Re: New York accommodation

Postby Aprilfool62 » April 8th, 2019, 5:05 pm

When I went with my teenage kids in 2011 we stayed in the New Yorker. Reasonably priced and central, a short walk to Times Square. From what I remember they have a diner but they dont do B&B you have to pay for breakfast separately. this means you are not obliged to eat in the hotel and it suited us.
I have been back since and stayed in a different hotel but I wouldnt hesitate to use the New Yorker again.

April

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 8th, 2019, 5:33 pm

There used to be some apartments close to Radio City that we used when our kids were that age. This was pre-AirBnB and it felt like we were staying on the set of 'Friends'. Just Google 'Radio City Apartments'. In the same area of midtown Manhattan we've stayed at the Omni Berkshire Place with the kids and again, it's a great base location.

More recently, we've stayed in the Meatpacking District at the ever popular Gansevoort and The Standard, ideal for the High Line, Chelsea Market, the new Hudson Yards development, and Greenwich Village. If your kids consider themselves 'cool', they'll love these areas around both hotels.

I'd also recommend The Roxy down towards TriBeCa, and even if you don't stay there visit The Django one evening (pre book a table, and eat there).

No doubt you'll have a full itinerary but feel free to PM me if you want to check anything.

fuiseog

Postby fuiseog » April 9th, 2019, 1:42 pm

On our last trip (May 2108) we stayed in a self-contained airbnb apartment in Brooklyn, using a 7-day subway pass* to get around. Per head, it was less expensive than a hotel and convenient to make snacks or breakfast although we were eating out most of the time. I would certainly do the same again.

*7-Day Unlimited Pass
Cost: $32.00, reduced fare $16.00
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.
Note: PATH, AirTrain, and Express buses do not accept 7- and 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » April 9th, 2019, 1:56 pm

fuiseog wrote:On our last trip (May 2108) we stayed in a self-contained airbnb apartment in Brooklyn... <snip>

You are Doctor Who and I claim my £5.

Watis

Return to “Airport Lounge”