Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Travel insurance clause question - flights limit

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Travel insurance clause question - flights limit

Postby Satsuma » April 24th, 2019, 3:47 pm

I am just sorting out new travel insurance, and the next trip is a biggie, flying first class (I know, get me!).

While I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe I will need it, what is the clause that refers to payout limits for replacement flights - so I can ensure I am not left out of pocket, or travel class, if the worst happens! Is it "cancellation or curtailment" limits that I need to look for? Example wording for that [random policy on results list] is: "Cancelling or cutting short your trip: If you have to cancel a trip before you go, or cut short your trip, we’ll pay you up to £5,000."

(It's a flight only deal as staying with friends, legit airline etc)

MTIA
Sats

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Travel insurance clause question - flights limit

Postby Dod101 » April 24th, 2019, 3:59 pm

There is so much that you have not told us that I do not think that you will get a definitive answer. I have always found travel insurers to be quite helpful and I think you need to put your questions to them. For instance why would you need replacement flights anyway? What you quote sounds to me like the compensation if you need to cancel the entire trip because of some cause which is covered such as presumably serious illness or something or maybe you need to cut short the trip because a close relative is ill at home but really you need to know exactly what you are asking and then ask. The £5000 limit you quote can be varied depending on how much your trip costs of course.

Dod

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » April 24th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Thanks Dod.

Essentially I need to know what section(s) of a policy document I need to check, that would cover replacement flights of equal value, should I not be able to travel on the flights booked - either outbound, or if I needed to change the return flight home. I guess that would be illness and emergency circumstances?

I don't want to start ringing up dozens of insurers to play out myriad "what if" scenarios with them. All I need is a bog standard policy - but just one with the right limits! (as I said, the 5k was just a random example I plucked from the list I had open on the comparison site)

As with all things insurance, it's written in such a way as to actively put you off trying to understand what it means, and I include the "helpful definitions" sections in that.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 24th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Satsuma wrote:Essentially I need to know what section(s) of a policy document I need to check, that would cover replacement flights of equal value, should I not be able to travel on the flights booked - either outbound, or if I needed to change the return flight home.

Since you are flying in First, a replacement flight of equal value may not be available. I say that because these days many airlines have dropped First and, if you are put onto an alternative airline then it might be one of those.

So for example you can fly First to the US with British, Air France, Swiss and Lufthansa. But not on Virgin, Aer Lingus, Air Canada or the "big three" US airlines (Delta, AA and United).

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 24th, 2019, 5:12 pm

I took a one trip only cover in the winter to cover me on a trip to the Far East. First you give an overall limit which would normally be the total cost of the trip (in your case presumably air fares plus maybe getting to and from airports). Then the cover is in my case anyway is a) If I am unable to travel (outbound only) usually because I am too ill or sometimes a close relative is at death's door (check the wording) . b) after a 24 hour delay for whatever reason, I may choose to abandon the entire trip and c) if I choose to come home early. There will be conditions on this, mainly that there is no suitable medical treatment available locally or a relative or someone else close dies in the UK (again check the wording)

Obviously if you are compensated you can do what you like with the compensation but I do not think you would normally find insurers prepared to pay directly for replacement flights.

Again I think if you get in touch with an insurer before you need commit yourself you can get a copy or at least a summary of the policy wording. These benefits will be easily spotted.

Lootman's point may or may not be relevant because not all (many/any?) insurers will directly cover replacement flights

Does that help?

Dod

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » April 24th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Lootman wrote:Since you are flying in First, a replacement flight of equal value may not be available. I say that because these days many airlines have dropped First and, if you are put onto an alternative airline then it might be one of those.

There are 2 airlines that do First as a direct route. Plus many others which do it indirectly - all of which I'd be happy with (and costs are comparable, if seasonal). So hopefully that issue is avoidable.

Dod101 wrote:I took a one trip only cover in the winter to cover me on a trip to the Far East.....Obviously if you are compensated you can do what you like with the compensation but I do not think you would normally find insurers prepared to pay directly for replacement flights
Dod

I'm looking at single trip too - no other travel planned this year unfortunately. I don't particularly mind how I get compensated or who buys the flights, as long as there is enough £££ to cover them.

Dod101 wrote:Again I think if you get in touch with an insurer before you need commit yourself you can get a copy or at least a summary of the policy wording. These benefits will be easily spotted.

That's the bit I am trying to spot!
Believe me, I have been reading the actual policy documents a lot lately (they are all available on their websites). It's not normally an issue, but the cost of re-booking flights occurred to me when I was looking at a "curtailment" clause that only offered £3000 tops and I realised I needed to look deeper this time. Hence my OP about whether canx/curtailment was the right section or of I needed to look elsewhere. I'm wondering if I am now guilty of massively overthinking it though....

(I had a similarly anal realisation when doing some home insurance quotes last year. I'm slightly proud to say there there is now quite a significant wording change/addition on a major insurer's website, all because I asked a question!)

masped

Postby masped » April 26th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Yes, the limit shown in the cancellation / curtailment section is the maximum amount that the insurer would refund you in the event that you were unable to travel for one of the reasons covered by the policy (e.g. illness). In your case that only needs to cover the flight cost, but more generally it would also include non-refundable costs for accommodation, car hire etc.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » April 27th, 2019, 8:24 pm

masped wrote:Yes, the limit shown in the cancellation / curtailment section is the maximum amount that the insurer would refund you in the event that you were unable to travel for one of the reasons covered by the policy (e.g. illness). In your case that only needs to cover the flight cost, but more generally it would also include non-refundable costs for accommodation, car hire etc.

Many thanks masped! I shall return to the search with more confidence now!

Return to “Airport Lounge”