Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Copenhagen

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
StepOne
Lemon Slice

Copenhagen

Postby StepOne » June 25th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Hi,

We are off to Copenhagen in a couple of weeks. I've been looking online at what there is to do and there seems to be at least 2 rival tourist pass cards. The Copenhagen card and the Stromma Citypass. The prices are similar, although copenhagencard.com is definitely cheaper. They both include entry to the main attractions (Tivoli/Zoo etc). The main difference is the transport option - the copenhagencard includes public transport (including metro to the airport) whereas the Citypass includes travel on the Stromma-run hop on/off bus tours and boat tours.

Just wondering if anyone here had any experience of these and which might be better? Plus any other advice on things to do in Copenhagen with kids aged 9-13

Thanks,
StepOne

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Copenhagen

Postby servodude » June 26th, 2019, 7:16 am

StepOne wrote:Hi,

We are off to Copenhagen in a couple of weeks. I've been looking online at what there is to do and there seems to be at least 2 rival tourist pass cards. The Copenhagen card and the Stromma Citypass. The prices are similar, although copenhagencard.com is definitely cheaper. They both include entry to the main attractions (Tivoli/Zoo etc). The main difference is the transport option - the copenhagencard includes public transport (including metro to the airport) whereas the Citypass includes travel on the Stromma-run hop on/off bus tours and boat tours.

Just wondering if anyone here had any experience of these and which might be better? Plus any other advice on things to do in Copenhagen with kids aged 9-13

Thanks,
StepOne

When I was last there (Jan 2017) Tivoli was closed for renovations - but that will probably be top of your list for kids that age (we left ours at home)

Depending on how long you are going for unless it's urgent that you buy the cards beforehand I'd wait and see how you get on during your first day there
- I reckon most of any practical saving they give you will be on what you spend at Tivoli (which can be complicated)
- so check what they offer with respect to that (entrance, rides etc)

We were only there 3 days so we were content to just soak up the place rather than rush round attractions
- as a result we just used the public transport citypasses for travel (https://dinoffentligetransport.dk/find- ... s-english/), which covers a huge area (including the watre taxis) and popped in to a couple of museums

It's a great city and very easy to get around on foot (even in midwinter) - but that option might depend on your kids!

Things I'd recommend:
- Tivoli
- The Round Tower
- Changing of the guard at the palace
- Water Taxi
- Christiania during the day
- Nyhaven
- Kastellet
- taking the train to Sweden (I used to travel to Copenhangen by ferry to buy beer as a student - amazing that you can drive it now!)

Have fun
- sd

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 26th, 2019, 12:09 pm

servodude wrote:- Christiania during the day

Is it no longer fun at night? ;)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 27th, 2019, 12:11 am

PinkDalek wrote:
servodude wrote:- Christiania during the day

Is it no longer fun at night? ;)

Always found it more "interesting" than fun!

I will say that it seemed a lot seedier going this time that it ever did in the 90s. But that might just be to do with sunlight vs lack of; late afternoon in the middle of winter, rather than in midsommar.

Seems like there's been a lot of change in the past 15 years or so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania
Still quite a fascinating place - if a bit fragrant

Have fun
- sd

Return to “Airport Lounge”