Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New York - then somewhere more relaxed?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

New York - then somewhere more relaxed?

Postby Clariman » June 30th, 2019, 7:37 pm

We're thinking of going to New York for a few days in September or October. After that it would be nice to stay somewhere more relaxing for a week or so afterwards. Ideally a train journey or couple of hours drive away.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks
Clariman

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: New York - then somewhere more relaxed?

Postby Lootman » June 30th, 2019, 7:52 pm

That is about that time of the year when the leaves change colour in New England, known as the Fall Foliage season. There is data that can tell you exactly when is the best time depending on location.

So one idea would be to head to somewhere like Vermont or New Hampshire. Maybe even Maine if you really want to get away from it all. There may not be too many trains heading that way but access is easy by road or plane. Trains run regularly to Boston and there is probably the odd train going up to Montreal.

CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Postby CommissarJones » June 30th, 2019, 9:08 pm

How about Newport, Rhode Island? It has a rich history going back to the 17th century and a well-preserved historic district. If you fancied a further excursion, it might be possible to hop a ferry to Block Island (but I am not certain about transport options).

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » June 30th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Clariman wrote:We're thinking of going to New York for a few days in September or October. After that it would be nice to stay somewhere more relaxing for a week or so afterwards. Ideally a train journey or couple of hours drive away. Any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks
Clariman
Bermuda! https://www.purelybermuda.co.uk/new-york-plus-bermuda We've been to Bermuda twice and used the company shown on one occasion, they were great. I've often fancied doing NYC then BDA myself........

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 30th, 2019, 10:29 pm

What about a trip up the Hudson Valley? Maybe into the Catskills? Poughkeepsie is a suitable centre.

TJH

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » July 1st, 2019, 3:25 pm

How about Washington? 3 hours away by train, and is quite a relaxing place if you do the tourist bits. Also significantly warmer than NY. If you do use the train, make sure to use the porters there. They'll look after you, let you know when it's time to board, and on which platform, and of course, carry your luggage. Nominally free service, but they don't mind tips.

EverybodyKnows
2 Lemon pips

Postby EverybodyKnows » July 1st, 2019, 7:20 pm

The Adirondacks are a great place to visit if you like the outdoors: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... _York.html

They are still within New York state so are not too difficult to get too.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 15th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of New York and Washington. Is Washington not too 'big-city' to be a relaxing place to stay? I'm wondering whether something like 3 or 4 nights in each and then somewhere more relaxing. I hear the Sky Drive is nice.

We'd be travelling late September? Any further advice appreciated.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 15th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Clariman wrote:Is Washington not too 'big-city' to be a relaxing place to stay?

DC (as everyone calls it there, so as not to confuse with Washington State) is really two cities. There is the large but walkable laid out central area, which can be thought of as a huge park (The Mall) with all the important buildings in it or adjacent to it (White House, Congress, SCOTUS, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial etc. Just across the Potomac river from there is Arlington National Cemetary.

And what I regard as the best museum (or rather set of museums) in the world - the Smithsonian Institute.

But then the rest of DC is fairly poor and has a high crime rate, so it might not feel relaxed depending where you are. So for once I would advise sticking to the tourist areas. One idea is to stay in nearby Alexandria, Virginia - a pleasant self-contained small city with a subway service to DC, and a short cab ride to/from Reagan National Airport.

Weather will be very nice there at that time.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 15th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Clariman wrote:I like the idea of New York and Washington.

Lost my reply but Lootman has, of course, identified most of the sights in DC. I'd merely query whether or not he thinks 3 to 4 nights there might be overkill, if there are alternatives.

We took a day and a bit to visit The White House, the Washington Monument and the cemetery etc and saw some sort of parade along the National Mall. We would perhaps have liked to have spent longer at the Smithsonian but I'm not convinced we'd have needed 3 full days in DC at all.

If it were me, having been to NYNY, Boston (both only a couple of times but with plenty of time available) and DC (the once), and given the choice, I'd combine NYNY and Boston.

Having said that, if we were going to Boston during the Fall, after that we'd be aiming to travel away from the leaf peepers and go northwards. Either to New England or to up state New York but bearing in mind we don't mind driving fairly long distances, which doesn't appear to be what you are after, and not if you've only got a "few days".

Last time it was something like Harvard >>> Williamstown >>> Ticonderoga >>> Lake Placid >>> Lake George area (inc Fort William Henry) >>> Vermont >>> Quebec etc.

Time before Boston >>> coastal New England (all the states up from Boston but mainly Maine inc Blue Hill and Bar Harbor) >>> Quebec City and back to wherever it was.

Decisions, decisions - don't let me put you off DC but I would find central Boston itself far more relaxing (even if you don't get anywhere else after NYNY)!

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » July 15th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Clariman wrote:Thanks everyone. I like the idea of New York and Washington. Is Washington not too 'big-city' to be a relaxing place to stay? I'm wondering whether something like 3 or 4 nights in each and then somewhere more relaxing. I hear the Sky Drive is nice.

We'd be travelling late September? Any further advice appreciated.

When I first saw your OP I almost suggested Washington DC but didn't think it me the 'relaxing week' requirement.

If you're now considering it, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to go. As Lootman says, many of the touristy bits are very close to each other and are fabulous. The two halves of the Mall with memorials at one end and essentially museums at the other, can take a week all on its own. We booked a tour of The Capitol which was fascinating too. Don't miss Arlington either.

Stay near DuPont Circle for convenience and choices of hotel for all budgets, or even consider Georgetown which is a must to visit anyway. Jackie Kennedy went there after John F was shot to recover from the shock and keep out of the limelight. It's a lovely peaceful place to be.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Clariman wrote:I like the idea of New York and Washington.

Lost my reply but Lootman has, of course, identified most of the sights in DC. I'd merely query whether or not he thinks 3 to 4 nights there might be overkill, if there are alternatives.

We took a day and a bit to visit The White House, the Washington Monument and the cemetery etc and saw some sort of parade along the National Mall. We would perhaps have liked to have spent longer at the Smithsonian but I'm not convinced we'd have needed 3 full days in DC at all.

You may have a point there. I've been twice and both times it was just for a week-end. I think the key there may be what you noted - how long you want to spend at the various bits of the Smithsonian, which in turn depends on how much of a museum fan you are, or rather Clariman is.

I forgot to mention Eastern Market, a little east of Congress, if you like food and shopping.

http://easternmarket-dc.org/

And Georgetown, which somebody else pointed out.

PinkDalek wrote:if we were going to Boston during the Fall, after that we'd be aiming to travel away from the leaf peepers and go northwards.

Time before Boston >>> coastal New England (all the states up from Boston but mainly Maine inc Blue Hill and Bar Harbor) >>> Quebec City and back to wherever it was.

Actually if you go North from Boston along the coast then, upon leaving Mass, there really is only Maine, and a tiny sliver of New Hampshire where the appropriately named town of Portsmouth is. Portland, ME and Bar Harbor, ME are good to visit but it's adding a fair bit of distance to a "relaxing" trip.

Another idea is to head inland into Vermont, which is delightful in a quirky way, but then of course you are in prime leaf-peeper terrain which you may or may not want. At least avoid week-ends there and then.

A final thought is the weather. DC will be very pleasant in late September. The humid dog days of a DC summer are gone but it will still be shirt sleeve weather. A cool breeze ensures it is temperate. Boston will be distinctly chilly at night and might require packing clothes that you otherwise would not need to take that time of year. A fortiori if you go north from Boston.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » July 16th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Car hire from Washington, then stay at Williamsburg for Jamestown and Yorktown. Then, back to Washington. Stay in the Marriot across the Potomac at Arlington. Very convenient.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » July 16th, 2019, 10:08 pm

And wherever you go in the US anytime, go to a Whole Foods Market, and drool at the selection of beer, fresh food, and everything else they sell. Take a salad box, fill it full of yummy stuff, and go eat it somewhere nice.

There's several in NY of course, including a really good one at Columbus Circle at the SW corner of Central Park.

And yes I know they had a limited launch in London but I'm told it's failing. Boo Hoo!

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 16th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:... Time before Boston >>> coastal New England (all the states up from Boston but mainly Maine inc Blue Hill and Bar Harbor) >>> Quebec City and back to wherever it was.

Actually if you go North from Boston along the coast then, upon leaving Mass, there really is only Maine, and a tiny sliver of New Hampshire where the appropriately named town of Portsmouth is. Portland, ME and Bar Harbor, ME are good to visit but it's adding a fair bit of distance to a "relaxing" trip.

Another idea is to head inland into Vermont, which is delightful in a quirky way, but then of course you are in prime leaf-peeper terrain which you may or may not want. ...

I thought someone would notice. I was being somewhat lazy. As well as coastal, we also visited parts of Vermont and NH (White Mountains, Cannon Mountain etc) but that was only after Maine.

If anyone’s interested, the Old Man of the Mountain is no longer there, having collapsed in 2003:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_the_Mountain

The top of Mount Washington is outstanding and well worth the cog railway journey (the road was closed when we were there). It can look like this, even in late early Autumn:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_W ... _Hampshire) [that link breaks but see the Climate section]

Digressing somewhat, so I’ll stop here. I wasn’t suggesting the trip for the Claripeople, merely that it was an alternative.

djbenedict
2 Lemon pips

Postby djbenedict » July 18th, 2019, 11:34 am

Some good advice here, especially re: DC which I have always found to be a very pleasant city with a quite European feel.

At present, I would not spend my own money visiting the USA on moral principles because I object to Donald Trump's policies. Obviously each to their own, but I thought I would mention it.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » July 18th, 2019, 12:04 pm

BrummieDave wrote:And wherever you go in the US anytime, go to a Whole Foods Market, and drool at the selection of beer, fresh food, and everything else they sell. Take a salad box, fill it full of yummy stuff, and go eat it somewhere nice.

There's several in NY of course, including a really good one at Columbus Circle at the SW corner of Central Park.

And yes I know they had a limited launch in London but I'm told it's failing. Boo Hoo!

You mean the Whole Foods Market that was bought by Amazon a couple of years ago?

There are 7 branches in London and as far as I know they are doing well. Though i'm also amazed whenever I go in that they are able to sell things at two or three times the price of other supermarkets.

That's the price you have to pay for freshness/exclusiveness I guess.

HYD

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » July 18th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
BrummieDave wrote:And wherever you go in the US anytime, go to a Whole Foods Market, and drool at the selection of beer, fresh food, and everything else they sell. Take a salad box, fill it full of yummy stuff, and go eat it somewhere nice.

You mean the Whole Foods Market that was bought by Amazon a couple of years ago?

There are 7 branches in London and as far as I know they are doing well. Though i'm also amazed whenever I go in that they are able to sell things at two or three times the price of other supermarkets.

That's the price you have to pay for freshness/exclusiveness I guess.

HYD

And a price worth paying especially when on holiday in the US.

Go fill a salad box at Columbus Circle, cross 8th and walk into central Park and enjoy your lunch watching the Manhattan world go by.

We always have a Whole Foods picnic as part of our US visits, and although it may well be pricey compared to other supermarkets, it's cheaper than a restaurant lunch and the quality is outstanding, as is the choice (throughout the store). Holidays are to be filled with treats and it is, after all, only a supermarket, not Harrods Food Hall.

Return to “Airport Lounge”