Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

how to find cheapest flight to anywhere

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
didds
Lemon Half

how to find cheapest flight to anywhere

Postby didds » September 14th, 2022, 4:28 pm

a somewhat left field question!

If I was looking for the cheapest flight to ANYWHERE from airport A on date D, "returning the same day) DAK of a website offering such a search?

the point being to find the cheapest destination, not the cheapest flight for a specific known destination.

CF I checked eg cheapflights but that requires a destination to be provided

didds

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: how to find cheapest flight to anywhere

Postby Lootman » September 14th, 2022, 5:07 pm

I do not know that Google Flights is the absolute cheapest, but what it will do for you is allow you to put in areas, regions, countries and even continents. It will then show you a map of the prices to various destinations and, if you zoom into that map, more destinations will pop up.

It helps to fix your departing location (say, London) and then enter something like "USA" into the destination. I have done this in the past to discover that, at that time, Nashville was much cheaper to fly to than other southern cities. And that Nashville via Charlotte was considerably cheaper than just flying to Charlotte, even though it is hundreds of miles further away.

It also works in reverse e.g. put Washington DC as the origin and "Europe" as the destination.

All this assumes that you have a region in mind but otherwise don't care where you go, which can be handy if you are doing a mileage run, say to maintain airline status for another year.

You have to play around with it a bit to get the hang of it, but it works.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 14th, 2022, 5:08 pm

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » September 14th, 2022, 7:56 pm

Skyscanner allow "anywhere" as the destination.

Here is heathrow to anywhere on the 19th September and back

https://www.skyscanner.net/transport/fl ... home&rtn=1

BBLSP1
2 Lemon pips

Postby BBLSP1 » September 15th, 2022, 9:07 am

Useful to know the above. It is an annoying thing that airline timetables for general perusing are hard to come by these days. Instead, you have to enter from/to and date and only then be presented with flights. It is time consuming if you have to go through multiple searches to get what you need, especially in the case of non-daily flights. Yes, there may be workarounds as noted, but a hardcopy timetable, including the ABC guides, were so much quicker and easier for general searches. Similar happening with railway timetables.

As for historical information, I suspect that ends with the last publishing of hardcopy timetables – we probably know more about British Airways operations in the 1960s than in say 2017.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » September 15th, 2022, 6:13 pm

didds wrote:a somewhat left field question!

If I was looking for the cheapest flight to ANYWHERE from airport A on date D, "returning the same day) DAK of a website offering such a search?

the point being to find the cheapest destination, not the cheapest flight for a specific known destination.

CF I checked eg cheapflights but that requires a destination to be provided

didds

Cheapest flight is likely with Ryanair or Easyjet (assuming they fly from that airport) and Ryanair certainly has 'anywhere' as an option as a destination.

paulnumbers wrote:Skyscanner allow "anywhere" as the destination.

Unfortunately Skyscanner now allows booking agents to list fares on their site that are only available to a small group of individuals, e.g. students. So when you see a flight for £x and click through you can frequently find that the real price is significantly higher (and Skyscanner's attitude when I pointed out to them their site was no useless - a virtual shrug of the shoulders).

Return to “Airport Lounge”