Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Easyjet Free replacement flight problem.

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
muckshifter

Easyjet Free replacement flight problem.

Postby muckshifter » March 9th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Has anyone else here fallen foul of a misleading Easyjet offer made when they cancelled flights last year?
The cancellation notices on two flights I'd booked, offered as one of three alternatives a free replacement flight anywhere in the European network, with the switch statement "up until May 21". So I eventually managed to get through to Easyjet and checked that this meant that I could make the booking anytime until end of May 21, rather than having to take the flight by then, which was verbally confirmed.

Now, I've tried to book free flights both through the website and by telephone, and find that you are blocked either way. The excuse given for not honouring the terms of the cancellation email seems to rely on, the premise, which is absolutely not made clear in the email, that I had to book the free flight between the date of the cancellation email and the date of my originally intended flight two weeks later in June 2020.

So I would be interested in finding out if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation. In the time I've wasted trying to book through the wabsite, the price of the flights I've chosen have increased about fourfold to several times the value of the vouchers I'm now being offered, which makes me inclined to look at legal action.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Easyjet Free replacement flight problem.

Postby stevensfo » March 27th, 2021, 9:26 am

muckshifter wrote:Has anyone else here fallen foul of a misleading Easyjet offer made when they cancelled flights last year?
The cancellation notices on two flights I'd booked, offered as one of three alternatives a free replacement flight anywhere in the European network, with the switch statement "up until May 21". So I eventually managed to get through to Easyjet and checked that this meant that I could make the booking anytime until end of May 21, rather than having to take the flight by then, which was verbally confirmed.

Now, I've tried to book free flights both through the website and by telephone, and find that you are blocked either way. The excuse given for not honouring the terms of the cancellation email seems to rely on, the premise, which is absolutely not made clear in the email, that I had to book the free flight between the date of the cancellation email and the date of my originally intended flight two weeks later in June 2020.

So I would be interested in finding out if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation. In the time I've wasted trying to book through the wabsite, the price of the flights I've chosen have increased about fourfold to several times the value of the vouchers I'm now being offered, which makes me inclined to look at legal action.

Did you get anywhere with this? I know it's a minefield! I booked a flight last year via Opodoo (wish I'd read the awful reviews and warnings first!) that involved one change in Frankfurt. When one flight was cancelled, I was offered alternative flights or a voucher. Neither were suitable at that time. They hadn't yet debited my card and someone advised me to simply ignore the offer, in which case they wouldn't be allowed to take any money. Turns out they were right, though the little ^%#!!s did take a booking fee! :twisted:

Can't you use the small claims court for things like this?

Steve

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » March 27th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Muckshifter
I have not had personal experience of Easyjet recently as I gave up with them a couple of years ago due to their less than ideal customer services but several of my friends have been caught in a similar way to you, they just gave up which doesn't really help you, I know, but possibly reaffirms that you have been taken for a ride.
I had flights booked to Italy in September, very cheap, like £9 each way wirh Ryanair, so I viewed them as options, when matters in Italy deteriorated I was just prepared to walk away but amazingly Ryanair asked if I wanted a voucher or my cash back, unsurprisingly I took the cash with a most surprised gratefulness.

muckshifter

Postby muckshifter » March 31st, 2021, 5:56 pm

Thanks for the responses. So far, to my surprise, Easyjet seem to be prepared to honour the offer made in their cancellation email. I believe my correspondence with them made clear what I believed their original offer said and what I expected from them, and I've had two emails confirming that they accept that understanding of their offer. The emails might just prove to be weasel words, meaning something completely different, but my understanding was made absolutely clear, so hopefully not. When the time comes to book those flights, I'll let you know, and hope that I don't need the small claims court, which I had been considering.

Rooky102

Postby Rooky102 » April 7th, 2021, 11:20 am

I found my equivalent offer email from EJ (23/04/20)

It clearly says "This is an exclusive offer and is valid until 1st May 2020."

So no wonder the staff are confused if different offers went out.

muckshifter

Postby muckshifter » April 10th, 2021, 8:48 am

Thank you Rooky 102, that's an interesting point that I was not aware of. From the family tickets I had bought I received ten, iirc, cancellation emails, which were all the same as you would expect for flights on the same dates, so it looks like Easyjet were trying to adjust the wording as they went along. All my cancellations concerned flights from mid to end of June.

Return to “Airport Lounge”