Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Moselle River Cruise

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Moselle River Cruise

Postby Clitheroekid » March 11th, 2022, 1:04 am

As I've only ever driven through Germany I thought I'd like to spend some time there, and I quite fancy a cruise on the Moselle in a few weeks' time. But having Googled `Moselle River Cruise' there are so many options that I don't know where to start.

So I wondered if any of my fellow Fools had ever taken a river cruise either in Germany or in Europe generally (as many of the companies seem to run cruises in several countries) and, if so, could they recommend any particular operator and offer any advice?

TIA for any replies.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Moselle River Cruise

Postby tjh290633 » March 11th, 2022, 9:51 am

We did a Rhine cruise with Riviera a few years ago and were very satisfied. That was from Basel to Cologne. Train from St Pancras to Paris and thence to Basel. Came home by coach to Brussels and then Eurostar to St Pancras. Didn't want to fly.

Quite a few Hungarians in the crew. Very nice people.

TJH

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » March 14th, 2022, 3:13 pm

I've visited the Mosel region quite a few times, so here are my suggestions. It's an easy 2-day drive from Clitheroe (or a very long 1-day day home). If you have your own car, it's very easy to explore the different towns, villages and cities on the Mosel, as well as the "Hunsruck" area, which has great views and peaceful walks. Cycling is also a good way to explore the Mosel, electric bikes are available if you don't fancy pedalling yourself.

There are also lots of shorter day river cruises between the various towns, with commentary in English. To stay, Zug and Bernkastel-Kues are both very scenic villages/towns (Bernkastel in particular has a very olde-worlde centre). There's also a great value massive apartment with balcony overlooking the river (and a motorway bridge) in Urzig where we stayed last autumn - I can give you details if you're interested.

If you like motor racing, Spa circuit is en route to the Mosel, and the Nurburgring is only about 30 minutes drive away - both are in scenic hilly wooded areas.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 14th, 2022, 3:26 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:As I've only ever driven through Germany I thought I'd like to spend some time there, and I quite fancy a cruise on the Moselle in a few weeks' time. But having Googled `Moselle River Cruise' there are so many options that I don't know where to start.

So I wondered if any of my fellow Fools had ever taken a river cruise either in Germany or in Europe generally (as many of the companies seem to run cruises in several countries) and, if so, could they recommend any particular operator and offer any advice?

TIA for any replies.

I've taken a voyage with Scenic Cruises. Just one, from Budapest to Nuremberg. Excellent program, staff and boats.

I have another one planned with then this year.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 14th, 2022, 5:59 pm

CK - if you want a historic context for the Hunsruck area a wonderful film (very very long) is Heimat. Heimat 1 (there are subsequent films) is some 15 hours long (split into 11 episodes of varying length) and provides a vivid and detailed picture in a documentary style of life in small (fictional) villages from 1919 to 1980. This series of films (60 hours in total) is truly remarkable. I have the box set and been through them twice - the quality slightly fades away but the pre WW2 episodes of Heimat1 are spellbinding.

T7

Return to “Airport Lounge”