Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Foreign currency cards?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
zico
Lemon Quarter

Foreign currency cards?

Postby zico » January 11th, 2023, 1:28 pm

I've got an account with Moneycorp, but they've stopped providing pre-loaded cards. Annoyingly, they stopped this just after I'd loaded 2,000 euros onto their card!

Any suggestions for companies that will allow pre-loaded cards, and foreign transfers?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Foreign currency cards?

Postby Lootman » January 11th, 2023, 1:35 pm

I have used a Caxton FX card for a number of years, without a problem. It is linked to and loads directly from my bank account so I can reload it from anywhere.

I do not put a large amount on it at a time - hundreds rather than thousands. So I cannot vouch for how it works for large amounts, if that is your intnt.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 11th, 2023, 5:35 pm

You can load foreign currency onto Wise (formerly Transferwise) cards. That can be drawn out in cash at ATM's, or used to make purchases when (at home or) overseas, like a debit card. The only downside is that they do charge when one draws more than £200 cash in a month. (The charge was 1.75% of the amount withdrawn. That was due to reduced to 1% from this February, but I think I read that reduction has now been cancelled).

Money can be added to it from your bank account. It can also be used to transfer funds overseas.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 14th, 2023, 1:28 pm

zico wrote:I've got an account with Moneycorp, but they've stopped providing pre-loaded cards. Annoyingly, they stopped this just after I'd loaded 2,000 euros onto their card!

Any suggestions for companies that will allow pre-loaded cards, and foreign transfers?

Surely you've heard of Revolut? I have loads of these new Fintech bank cards, but Revolut has possibly the easiest app to use.

Even my Polish wife (imagine Sybil Fawlty on steroids!) got one and admits that she saves loads on exchange fees.

But please get a few of them e.g. Wise as another poster remarked. Although Revolut is very good, they did once blot their copybook when freezing my account and asking for I.D.

The fact that they'd had this for 2 years passed them by.

The big UK banks used to try and rubbish them.

But I guess that Barclays, Lloyds, HSBC etc are too busy selling their branches to be turned into Charity shops. 8-)

Steve

DiviLuvva
Lemon Pip

Postby DiviLuvva » January 14th, 2023, 5:34 pm

I have both Wise and Starling GBP/EUR accounts plus cards. Starling allows £300/day equivalent ATM withdrawals in other currency with charge (though the ATM/bank might)
A tip regarding Spain: Deutsche Bank doesn't charge for withdrawals.

Return to “Airport Lounge”