Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

A life on the ocean wave

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

A life on the ocean wave

Postby Clitheroekid » April 10th, 2023, 7:40 pm

I was intrigued to read about this arrangement - https://www.prestigeonline.com/sg/leisu ... ea-cruise/

It seems to be offering a three year long cruise for just £27k a year, which I could actually be quite tempted by. That price is all-inclusive, including alcohol with evening meals, wi-fi (often, I believe, very expensive in cruise ships) and apparently even free accommodation for visitors!

However, I'm seriously wondering if it's too good to be true. That price is massively less than any other type of long term cruise, and as cruising is a fairly competitive industry I'm sure that if other operators could make it pay at anywhere near this price they'd be offering something similar - but they aren't.

It's apparently being offered by a Turkish cruise firm called Miray International, and it's hard to find any detailed information about it. In any case, the contract would presumably be with some form of subsidiary, and no doubt governed by Turkish law. So a major concern for me would be the financial stability of the project. What happens if the company goes bust just 6 weeks - or even 6 months - into the trip? So far as I can see there is no protection for passengers if that were to happen.

But it's still rather tempting - particularly on a day like this! ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: A life on the ocean wave

Postby Lootman » April 10th, 2023, 7:45 pm

I had seen that and was also intrigued. You might even make a profit on it as you would not be resident anywhere for tax purposes!

As well as financial failure I might worry that it is not as "all inclusive" as represented, i.e. lots of junk fees like timeshares have.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 10th, 2023, 7:59 pm

A 12 square metre room? You have to be joking. No way for me. Sounds like a prison sentence.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 10th, 2023, 8:46 pm

I've just watched " Triangle of Sadness" on Prime (filmed on the 'Christina O')..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_of_Sadness

Monabri's summary.....don't waste 2 hours of your life or, if you've seen Little Britain's " Maggie", you've seen enough!

My feet are staying Terra Firma!

;)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 10th, 2023, 8:51 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I was intrigued to read about this arrangement - https://www.prestigeonline.com/sg/leisu ... ea-cruise/

It seems to be offering a three year long cruise for just £27k a year, which I could actually be quite tempted by. That price is all-inclusive, including alcohol with evening meals, wi-fi (often, I believe, very expensive in cruise ships) and apparently even free accommodation for visitors!

However, I'm seriously wondering if it's too good to be true. That price is massively less than any other type of long term cruise, and as cruising is a fairly competitive industry I'm sure that if other operators could make it pay at anywhere near this price they'd be offering something similar - but they aren't.

It's apparently being offered by a Turkish cruise firm called Miray International, and it's hard to find any detailed information about it. In any case, the contract would presumably be with some form of subsidiary, and no doubt governed by Turkish law. So a major concern for me would be the financial stability of the project. What happens if the company goes bust just 6 weeks - or even 6 months - into the trip? So far as I can see there is no protection for passengers if that were to happen.

But it's still rather tempting - particularly on a day like this! ;)

Have you read the small print?

Given the tension between Turkey and Greece, pay special attention to any mention of having to wear a uniform, learning how to fire large guns, spotting torpedoes or learning the Turkish for 'Incoming!'. 8-)

Steve

Agreed. Apart from the size of the cabin, it does sound tempting. Best watch 'Carry on Cruising' first!

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 12th, 2023, 4:48 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ear-cruise

“Cabins start at $32,998 (£26,600) a year – that’s cheaper than some rents in big cities. In Manhattan, at least, some could be living in smaller spaces. Bravo to them for grabbing life by the horns. By the end of this, we’re all going to be family.
For me, it won’t be an inexpensive trip because I’ve chosen a seventh-floor cabin with a balcony. The total spend for my cabin is $562,000, over three years.“

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 12th, 2023, 8:53 am

< Ironic potential derail ;-) not to be taken seriously >

At 27K a year wouldn't it be cheaper for HM Govt to put their immigrants for processing on them ?

didds

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 12th, 2023, 9:21 am

Dod101 wrote:A 12 square metre room? You have to be joking. No way for me. Sounds like a prison sentence.

Dod

I've spent many, many weeks on a small boat, and a house seems absurdly large when we return home, and cars driven far too fast. People have often asked me how my wife and I can co-exist on a yacht without constantly arguing, but there's actually plenty of space*. Don't forget one is out in the open air much of the time, not in a cabin.

One year in Dartmouth (?) we came across a small ship called "Small World"on which people lived permanently, just wandering around the world. People do it, and seem to like doing so - though I'd miss the garden and the smell of grass under my feet.

* I know it isn't the same as a cruise ship, but on a yotty holiday, one is always out and about in different ports. It's sometime a quarter of a mile one way to the toilets, so plenty of exercise.

Arb.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » April 12th, 2023, 10:26 am

£73 per day for full room and board, food, drink and fuel seems a little too good to be true.

LIkely outcome is an understaffed and untrained crew which can be a safety concern if you ever run into bad weather.
Plus the quality of food will probably deteriorate to the point where you will want to get off long before the year is over.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 12th, 2023, 2:28 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I've spent many, many weeks on a small boat, and a house seems absurdly large when we return home.

I get that... in 1987/88 I spent 20 months travelling around the world with a backpack.

When I finally returned home, I couldn't cope with the amount of clothes in my wardrobe - too many! So handed most of them to a charity shop as life had become so minimalist!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 12th, 2023, 2:49 pm

Lanark wrote:£73 per day for full room and board, food, drink and fuel seems a little too good to be true.

The cheapest cabins, at $32,998pa/pp, are all gone. The best you can do currently is a "Standard Inside" cabin, of 130 sq ft, on deck 3 at $36,298pa/pp. No window but a flat screen showing the same view as an Oceanview Cabin!

Note, that's for double occupancy, and so for two works out at $217,788. For single occupancy there's a 15% discount on that, so if it's just you it's $185,119.80.

https://www.lifeatseacruises.com/listing

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » April 12th, 2023, 3:20 pm

didds wrote:< Ironic potential derail ;-) not to be taken seriously >

At 27K a year wouldn't it be cheaper for HM Govt to put their immigrants for processing on them ?

didds

Or they sail straight to Somalia and hand you over to pirates.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 12th, 2023, 3:28 pm

Tedx wrote:
didds wrote:< Ironic potential derail ;-) not to be taken seriously >

didds

Or they sail straight to Somalia and hand you over to pirates.

Or sail straight to Rwanda....

Didds

PS ;-) <<<<<<<<<

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » April 12th, 2023, 3:35 pm

Tannoy: ...and tomorrow we will arrive in Venice on the first stage of your cruise of a lifetime..
10 hours later.
Hmmm <slightly alarmed>. This doesn't look much like Venice.....

Return to “Airport Lounge”