Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

cheapest way to calais/Dunkerque

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
didds
Lemon Half

cheapest way to calais/Dunkerque

Postby didds » April 12th, 2023, 2:52 pm

just toying with "things" ... come june/july anyone have any ideas as to cheapest dover/folkestone - clais/dunkerque crossing s as a foot pasenger... a 4/5 day return is sufficient if that makes a difference?

Ive looked on the P&O website and its looking like £100 return, sop i was merely wondering if generally there are any dpescial deals likely/typically knocking about ?

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Re: cheapest way to calais/Dunkerque

Postby Imbiber » April 12th, 2023, 3:00 pm

It will have to be Dover, there are no cross Channel sailings from Folkestone.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 12th, 2023, 4:03 pm

Imbiber wrote:It will have to be Dover, there are no cross Channel sailings from Folkestone.

shows you how long ago it was I used a X-C ferry from kent!

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 12th, 2023, 5:56 pm

Well, this is DFDS -

https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-fe ... -crossings

“Please note our foot crossings to France are currently suspended until further notice. To register your interest in our foot crossings to Calais please leave your details…”

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 12th, 2023, 6:01 pm

https://www.directferries.co.uk/ will look across all the operators for the best price.

You may be able to get deals with Tesco Clubcard, or if you're a member of a caravan club or the like.

Scott.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 12th, 2023, 6:07 pm

I’m a bit surprised that someone hasn’t set up (or hasn’t that I’m aware of) a “cadge a lift” website, offering to pair foot passengers with cars with spare capacity (since you pay for the car and up to 4 passengers, whilst most are couples).

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 12th, 2023, 7:40 pm

You could I imagined get a rubber dinghy fairly cheaply in or around Dover.

Dod

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » April 12th, 2023, 10:38 pm

didds wrote:just toying with "things" ... come june/july anyone have any ideas as to cheapest dover/folkestone - clais/dunkerque crossing s as a foot pasenger... a 4/5 day return is sufficient if that makes a difference?

Ive looked on the P&O website and its looking like £100 return, sop i was merely wondering if generally there are any dpescial deals likely/typically knocking about ?

School holidays are when they make their money, so you'll struggle to get a great deal then, they don't need to offer deals. Whereas in the off seasons deals are plentiful.

Also if you're going on foot, don't forget Eurostar if it works for your destinations. Just a shame that they're not stopping at intermediate stations like Ashford and Calais until next year at the earliest (if ever again). They're very open about varying prices to match demand so don't go on a Friday night, but it's not too bad on eg a Tuesday, eg St Pancras - Lille 6-10 June is £78 return (and it looks like you can get that price for much of the summer, if you pick the right trains on the right days).

By all accounts Eurostar immigration is pretty hellish since Brexit, but that's true of most land routes into Europe these days.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 14th, 2023, 10:49 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:Well, this is DFDS -

“Please note our foot crossings to France are currently suspended until further notice. To register your interest in our foot crossings to Calais please leave your details…”

Just used DFDS and there was a french chap on a bicycle. Perhaps that qualifies as not being a “foot passenger” then.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » April 14th, 2023, 12:26 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote:Well, this is DFDS -

Just used DFDS and there was a french chap on a bicycle. Perhaps that qualifies as not being a “foot passenger” then.

I travelled from Portsmouth to Caen last June with a bike and they checked us through as vehicles. Paperwork and passports at the booth, then cycle up the ramp at the start of loading.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 14th, 2023, 12:51 pm

BigB wrote:I travelled from Portsmouth to Caen last June with a bike and they checked us through as vehicles. Paperwork and passports at the booth, then cycle up the ramp at the start of loading.

Purely as a matter of idle curiosity, I just looked up a quote for Portsmouth to Caen or Cherbourg for a three-week vacation in July, and the return fare from Brittany Ferries came back at £180 for two foot passengers or £300 for two with a car.

It's not quite that simple, of course, because the Portsmouth crossing is usually the thick end of eight hours, and you'd be likely to want a reserved seat as well (£5 per person). But those prices are not much changed from the last time we did that journey, five years ago!

BJ

Return to “Airport Lounge”