Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

ATMs in Heathrow Airport for foreign currencies

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Ifnotnow8

ATMs in Heathrow Airport for foreign currencies

Postby Ifnotnow8 » June 22nd, 2023, 9:18 am

I am off to Switzerland next week for 1 week of walking on a half board basis with a holiday company.

I have a HSBC global account which l can load with Swiss Francs before departure.

I have been informed that there are ATMs in Heathrow airport which one can take out Euros & Swiss Francs. I had seen similar ATMs (with Euros and Swiss Francs advertised on the panel)in Gatwick airport in last month.

Does anyone have any experience with taking out Euros/Swiss Francs from such ATMs in UK airports and what are the charges?

I have asked the HBSC staff about it but my impression is that they are not too sure.

Thanks

DeepSporran
Lemon Pip

Re: ATMs in Heathrow Airport for foreign currencies

Postby DeepSporran » June 22nd, 2023, 12:13 pm

I can’t give you any direct experience of withdrawing Swiss Francs from a UK airport ATM, but I suspect it would be easier to withdraw Swiss Francs from an ATM at the Swiss arrival airport. After all isn’t that one of the intended benefits of your HSBC Global account ?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 22nd, 2023, 12:23 pm

I do not know about foreign currencies being available from cash machines. But Travelex seem to have a monopoly over the ATMs at Heathrow and they charge fees to withdraw cash, so I always avoid them.

Of course you can get FX at one of the FX booths, but the rate will be horrible. Since I usually take the Heathrow Express from Paddington I like to use the rather sketchy looking change places on Praed Street.

Ifnotnow8

Postby Ifnotnow8 » June 23rd, 2023, 9:08 am

Does anyone know if ATMs in Switzerland have charges for withdrawing cash from a prepaid debit card?

Thanks

Return to “Airport Lounge”