Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

February near Malaga options?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

February near Malaga options?

Postby Clariman » January 11th, 2024, 7:26 pm

We've decided against Venice in February during the carnival. We like a bit of history, culture, and nice food. We might go to Porto, but thought a few degrees warmer and a little dryer in Southern Spain might be better.

We have been to Malaga, Cordoba, Granada, Seville, Jerez and Cadiz and loved them all. We'll be back in Jerez later in the year, Granada will be a bit cool in February and the others we've been to quite a lot. So we are looking for somewhere else accessible from Malaga airport.

Any suggestions? We've never been to Ronda, Nerja or any of the Costa Del Sol towns. We want to feel we are in Spain so a bit of culture and history is important.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: February near Malaga options?

Postby swill453 » January 11th, 2024, 8:00 pm

Clariman wrote:We've decided against Venice in February during the carnival. We like a bit of history, culture, and nice food. We might go to Porto, but thought a few degrees warmer and a little dryer in Southern Spain might be better.

We have been to Malaga, Cordoba, Granada, Seville, Jerez and Cadiz and loved them all. We'll be back in Jerez later in the year, Granada will be a bit cool in February and the others we've been to quite a lot. So we are looking for somewhere else accessible from Malaga airport.

Any suggestions? We've never been to Ronda, Nerja or any of the Costa Del Sol towns. We want to feel we are in Spain so a bit of culture and history is important.

Ronda is a must for a day or two, but I'm not sure for much longer than that. Antequera and the Torcal Natural Park definitely worth a visit.

Other "white villages" could be added - Arcos de la Frontera, Vejer de la Frontera and many more.

The above is generally west of Malaga, heading towards the Costa de la Luz. If instead you go east then Nerja would be a good seaside base, the caves there are spectacular too. From there you can access the Alpujaras and villages such as Competa (our favourite) Frigiliana etc. Or going even further west Capileira, Bubion etc. are a bit more authentic.

There are loads of places we go to for hiking and scenery, but if you're not into walking so much you might not find enough to amuse you.

I just realised you're going in February, in that case don't expect great weather in the mountains!

(BTW we're going to Malaga and Seville in March).

Scott.

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » January 11th, 2024, 8:37 pm

We've been to Ronda in late February (stayed at the Parador) for two days. What I liked about it was it catered for Spanish visitors rather than Norther Europeans and I found the people very friendly. Visiting the gorge and the bridges was fun although I would never visit the bullring but I understand its open to the public every day. Only downside was the nightmare access to the Parador car park in the centre of the old town.

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » January 11th, 2024, 9:20 pm

To what extent are you married to going to Malaga/Costa del Sol?

Obviously, you've listed places you have visited in that area but what about considering the Costa de Almeria or the Costa Calida?

There are plenty of places that are worthy of a visit in those areas if you've not visited previously. Temperature may be a bit of an issue (whether inland or on the coast) but I'd argue it's marginal and it's better to visit somewhere new? Will happily post some thoughts on that area if it's something you'd consider.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » January 11th, 2024, 9:49 pm

Almeria City is overlooked by Brits. It might grab you.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 11th, 2024, 10:22 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Almeria City is overlooked by Brits. It might grab you.

Yes agree with that. A big variety of historical sites, from the Moorish Alcazaba to the Spanish Civil War air raid shelters. Then trips to the desert where the spaghetti westerns were filmed, and the Cabo de Gata Natural Park.

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 11th, 2024, 10:48 pm

PS. If you want to get a feel for rural Andalusia, read Driving Over Lemons by Chris Stewart (the original drummer in Genesis).

Scott.

Return to “Airport Lounge”