Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Spain trip: Suggestions please!

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
AuroraAbyss

Spain trip: Suggestions please!

Postby AuroraAbyss » April 8th, 2024, 5:25 am

Hello everyone, I am planning a vacation to Spain and would appreciate any recommendations. I have not gone there before, so I do not know much about where to begin. To start with, which airport is best for me to arrive at? I have heard that many people choose Barcelona and Madrid, but I wonder if there are other airports also good to consider?

When I am in that place, which important locations should I go to? My dream has been to witness the buildings of Barcelona, such as the Sagrada Família and Park Güell. But what of places outside Barcelona? Are there secret or less famous locations that deserve a visit?

Finally, would you suggest getting a guide or can I find my way by myself easily? I enjoy discovering the history and culture of an area, so it might be very interesting to have an expert person take me on a tour. But then again, I also enjoy the freedom of exploring at my own pace.

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions! 8-)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Spain trip: Suggestions please!

Postby tjh290633 » April 8th, 2024, 8:17 am

Consider Toledo, Granada (The Alhambra) and Seville/Cadiz. There are lots of other places in the Northwest, for example.
You probably need several trips to do it justice.

TJH

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » April 8th, 2024, 8:41 am

You didn't say how long you plan to stay away but one trip I did which I could recommend was to fly to Madrid then after 2 days sight seeing there I caught the high speed train south stopping for a day/night in each of Cordoba, Seville and Jerez. I also did a very worthwhile day trip from Jerez to Cadiz then train back to Madrid for the flight home though, depending on where you need to fly back to, you could fly home from Jerez.

Also Bilbao is well worth visiting with a day trip or short stay in San Sebastian. Very different look and feel to Andalucian Spain.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 8th, 2024, 9:16 am

How long are you there for, and how much running about do you want to do?

Will you hire a car or use trains?

Will you want to experience a city, or just visit the highlights. We go for the former, wandering the streets to see the nooks and crannies (although walking the Berlin Wall took longer than we expected).

Cadiz isn't massive, neither is Jerez but there is more there.

We've tended to base ourselves in Jerez, Malaga, or Seville for a week or so and do day trips to surrounding highlights. Barcelona will take almost a week to see properly and has a great underground network so you can stay on the periphery a bit cheaper. Seville is also large enough to spend several day meandering around.

Hotels/air B&B with Parking are easy in Malaga and Jerez, but for us driving/parking in Barcelona or Seville was really a non starter and not really necessary.

For Northern Spain (Rioja, Basque region, even across to Barcelona) we take the ferry to Santander/Bilbao and drive across - ferry is not cheap so we've also done a channel crossing and driven down through France and got the long ferry back. Bilbao is also not a bad place to spend a couple of nights but beware hotels with underground car parks designed for Morris Minors.

Airport wise, anywhere that doesn't start from Stanstead works for us. Malaga and Seville airports are easy to get in and out of, as is Jerez but then you limited to your departure airport. The drive from Malage to Jerez is lovely, and you can spend a few hours in Ronda or even stay over a night on the way. Arcos is also en route and there was a great Sunday market last time we were there.

Look for local Festival/Fiesta periods, eg March time Jerez has a Flamenco Festival so the big names are in the theatres, but the bars are full of ad-hoc performances.

Car hire is probably best given a thread of its own :)

AuroraAbyss

Postby AuroraAbyss » April 8th, 2024, 10:02 am

tjh290633 wrote:Consider Toledo, Granada (The Alhambra) and Seville/Cadiz. There are lots of other places in the Northwest, for example.
You probably need several trips to do it justice.

TJH

Thank you for your recommendations. Toledo, Granada, and Seville/Cadiz seem like wonderful places to visit. Spain appears to have a lot more than just the famous cities. I'll definitely put these places in my list.

AuroraAbyss

Postby AuroraAbyss » April 8th, 2024, 10:04 am

Dicky99 wrote:You didn't say how long you plan to stay away but one trip I did which I could recommend was to fly to Madrid then after 2 days sight seeing there I caught the high speed train south stopping for a day/night in each of Cordoba, Seville and Jerez. I also did a very worthwhile day trip from Jerez to Cadiz then train back to Madrid for the flight home though, depending on where you need to fly back to, you could fly home from Jerez.

Also Bilbao is well worth visiting with a day trip or short stay in San Sebastian. Very different look and feel to Andalucian Spain.

Thank you for sharing your travel experience! Traveling to Cordoba, Seville, Jerez and Cadiz along the way seems like a great way to experience the varied culture and architecture in the south of Spain. I will surely think about adding these recommendations into my itinerary. Thank you for the advice on Bilbao and San Sebastian, I will include them in my options too.

AuroraAbyss

Postby AuroraAbyss » April 8th, 2024, 10:12 am

DrFfybes wrote:How long are you there for, and how much running about do you want to do?

Will you hire a car or use trains?

Will you want to experience a city, or just visit the highlights. We go for the former, wandering the streets to see the nooks and crannies (although walking the Berlin Wall took longer than we expected).

Cadiz isn't massive, neither is Jerez but there is more there.

We've tended to base ourselves in Jerez, Malaga, or Seville for a week or so and do day trips to surrounding highlights. Barcelona will take almost a week to see properly and has a great underground network so you can stay on the periphery a bit cheaper. Seville is also large enough to spend several day meandering around.

Hotels/air B&B with Parking are easy in Malaga and Jerez, but for us driving/parking in Barcelona or Seville was really a non starter and not really necessary.

For Northern Spain (Rioja, Basque region, even across to Barcelona) we take the ferry to Santander/Bilbao and drive across - ferry is not cheap so we've also done a channel crossing and driven down through France and got the long ferry back. Bilbao is also not a bad place to spend a couple of nights but beware hotels with underground car parks designed for Morris Minors.

Airport wise, anywhere that doesn't start from Stanstead works for us. Malaga and Seville airports are easy to get in and out of, as is Jerez but then you limited to your departure airport. The drive from Malage to Jerez is lovely, and you can spend a few hours in Ronda or even stay over a night on the way. Arcos is also en route and there was a great Sunday market last time we were there.

Look for local Festival/Fiesta periods, eg March time Jerez has a Flamenco Festival so the big names are in the theatres, but the bars are full of ad-hoc performances.

Car hire is probably best given a thread of its own :)

Thank you for such thorough advice. I plan to stay around one month, and I am willing to travel a fair amount but also wish to mix it with relaxed sightseeing. I agree with your idea to take trains for the longer trips and spend more time exploring the cities instead of just seeing the main attractions.

Hearing about your times in Cadiz, Jerez, and other Spanish cities is pleasing. It seems making one city my base for doing day trips might be a smart strategy. I am grateful for the information about parking difficulties in cities such as Barcelona and Seville – perhaps I should use public transport instead.

The advice you gave me about the North of Spain and also the different boat choices is very interesting. I will surely think more about these options, particularly for visiting places such as Rioja and Basque area.

I wonder if you could suggest some local guides or tours in the places you talked about. We like to learn a lot from people who know these areas well and want to have a better insight into the locations we travel to.

Thank you once more for providing your knowledge and what you have gone through – it is very useful while I am making plans for my journey.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » April 9th, 2024, 7:38 am

Cordoba - Grenada - Seville is a well worn but worthwhile route, get the fast train down from Madrid.

Our last visit to Spain was a last-minute few days getaway to Zaragoza, which surprised me. It certainly punches above its weight in terms of things to do, very pleasant central square and some great Roman ruins (Zaragoza being a corruption of its older name, Caesaraugusta).

AuroraAbyss

Postby AuroraAbyss » April 11th, 2024, 5:42 am

moorfield wrote:Cordoba - Grenada - Seville is a well worn but worthwhile route, get the fast train down from Madrid.

Our last visit to Spain was a last-minute few days getaway to Zaragoza, which surprised me. It certainly punches above its weight in terms of things to do, very pleasant central square and some great Roman ruins (Zaragoza being a corruption of its older name, Caesaraugusta).

That seems like a nice path. I have always had the desire to see more of Spain, not just the big cities. Zaragoza appears to be a treasure, having both historical and modern places of interest. What was your experience like on the high-speed train from Madrid?

AuroraAbyss

Postby AuroraAbyss » April 11th, 2024, 5:55 am

I recently found this article. Can anyone check if this is a reliable resource? https://www.spain.info/en/top/essential-sights/ As for accommodation, I am planning to book an Airbnb, more budget-friendly compared to traditional hotels. And for a local guide, I am looking at https://gowithguide.com/spain They seem to offer personalized tours. Has anyone ever had experience with them, or do you guys have your own favorites? Can you please recommend? Thanks again! :)

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » April 13th, 2024, 12:06 am

AuroraAbyss wrote:What was your experience like on the high-speed train from Madrid?

Excellent. The AVE trains like the TGVs put our HS efforts to shame frankly. Put it this way, I don't think many Spaniards will be stampeding their way to Birmingham on our trains.

AuroraAbyss

Postby AuroraAbyss » April 15th, 2024, 1:07 am

moorfield wrote:
AuroraAbyss wrote:What was your experience like on the high-speed train from Madrid?

Excellent. The AVE trains like the TGVs put our HS efforts to shame frankly. Put it this way, I don't think many Spaniards will be stampeding their way to Birmingham on our trains.

Oh, pretty impressive. Can't blame Spaniards for sticking to them. Birmingham's got some catching up to do with its trains.

Return to “Airport Lounge”