Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Holders of International Driving Permit

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Holders of International Driving Permit

Postby Wuzwine » June 23rd, 2017, 1:55 pm

Hi,

Do you hold one? If you were born in the UK what does yours say as the place of birth at 3. Is it the UK, England, Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland?

Got one at the Post Office and it said the equivalent of Dundee England. I had put UK as there wasn't space for "United Kingdom" on the form.

It was an English PO. When I pointed out the city wasn't in England, It was cancelled and replaced.

I asked should my OH who is getting one nect week. Should she put England or United Kingdom? I was told England as she was born in England. Does it matter if they are correct e.g. Dundee Scotland or Dundee UK or Dundee United Kingdom would all be OK?

I wasn't born in Dundee - just used for the sake of the example!

Wuz

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Holders of International Driving Permit

Postby PinkDalek » June 23rd, 2017, 3:53 pm

Wuzwine wrote:... Got one at the Post Office and it said the equivalent of Dundee England. I had put UK as there wasn't space for "United Kingdom" on the form. ...

There's plenty of room on the AA IDP application form:

https://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/idp-a ... n-form.pdf

As you need to have your United Kingdom driving licence details to apply (and You could be fined (or worse) for relying on just an IDP – you must carry your UK licence too from https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp ) I'd put "Dundee" and "United Kingdom" on the form.

I've no idea what one would do if one were born in a village, field or barn though. ;)

Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Postby Wuzwine » June 23rd, 2017, 9:05 pm

Hi PinkDalek,

I expected the PO to have the same form. It is similar and branded AA but very small! Now our PO is fairly cramped - room to fill it in was at a premium. I left and checked it at leisure in the library and went back and got it corrected.

If I had been born in a village I think I would use the post town in the address!

Thanks and duly rec'd,

Wuz

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 24th, 2017, 7:50 am

PinkDalek wrote:As you need to have your United Kingdom driving licence details to apply (and You could be fined (or worse) for relying on just an IDP – you must carry your UK licence too from https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp ) I'd put "Dundee" and "United Kingdom" on the form.

Indeed, which rather begs the question of what is the purpose and value of an IDP?

It's a permit, not a license. Under which circumstances is it useful? Your link suggests it is accepted in "140 countries, including the US". But I would not feel confident about relying on its acceptance if I were stopped by a highway patrol cop in, say, Lubbock, Texas.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 24th, 2017, 10:42 am

Lootman wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:As you need to have your United Kingdom driving licence details to apply (and You could be fined (or worse) for relying on just an IDP – you must carry your UK licence too from https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp ) I'd put "Dundee" and "United Kingdom" on the form.

Indeed, which rather begs the question of what is the purpose and value of an IDP?

It's a permit, not a license. Under which circumstances is it useful? Your link suggests it is accepted in "140 countries, including the US". But I would not feel confident about relying on its acceptance if I were stopped by a highway patrol cop in, say, Lubbock, Texas.

Having been stopped by a cop in the USA I found my standard UK paper licence was not a problem.

I don't think that it would be in Lubbock, as they must be used to foreign pilgrims, but there may be well out of the way places that are not used to foreigners.

Slarti

Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Postby Wuzwine » June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Hi,

Thanks and recs for the input. I last went to the USA in 2013 touring the West Coast. i used my paper licence and passport.

However I believe I can use it in Florida to avoid carrying my passport in the car and as photo Id for entry into Disney World and Universal theme parks.

I am not sure so on the first day I will carry photocopies of my passport or the passport itself.

Wuz

beseeinyou
Lemon Pip

Postby beseeinyou » June 24th, 2017, 2:00 pm

I got one of these in 2013 when there was a story going round about needing it for Florida Car Hire, I was never asked for it. I was back in Florida in 2014 & 2015 and didn't buy a new one and again it wasn't an issue, they simply want to see your photo driving license, they weren't interested in the new code thing that replaced the paper part either.

I've still got the old permit and it says Glasgow, Scotland, UK.

I stay not far from one of the Post Offices who issue them and I simply got it over the counter and the details were hand written onto the permit by the counter person using the information from the form I filled out in the PO so there must have been room for Glasgow, Scotland, UK then.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 24th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Wuzwine wrote: I believe I can use it in Florida to avoid carrying my passport in the car and as photo Id for entry into Disney World and Universal theme parks.

I am fairly sure that a foreign national has to carry with them at all times either their foreign passport or, if they have one, their green card.

Various places may admit you without them but, if a cop stops you in the US and you don't have your passport with you, then they may assume you are an illegal alien, or worse.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 24th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
Wuzwine wrote: I believe I can use it in Florida to avoid carrying my passport in the car and as photo Id for entry into Disney World and Universal theme parks.

I am fairly sure that a foreign national has to carry with them at all times either their foreign passport or, if they have one, their green card.

Various places may admit you without them but, if a cop stops you in the US and you don't have your passport with you, then they may assume you are an illegal alien, or worse.

I had my passport, but he wasn't interested.

Slarti

Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Postby Wuzwine » June 24th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Hi,

I remember the 2013 Florida thinking of forcing an International Driving Permit.

Concerned about having to carry passport on every short trip to a theme park. Will check some more about this. I had been told by friends that photocopies sufficed.

The main change this time would appear to be the Move Over Rule. Seems to be Florida only. This means moving a lane away from an emergency vehicle if safe to do so; if not slowing by 20MPH below the speed limit.

Thanks again,

Wuz

Return to “Airport Lounge”