Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Heathrow Expansion

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Lootman
The full Lemon

Heathrow Expansion

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Supposedly the public meetings will be done by 2020 and the third runway and terminal 6 ready by 2028. Does anyone seriously believe that will happen? I don't expect to see that runway in my lifetime, and I'm not that old.

Of course, by 2030 Heathrow will be back to the current 98% capacity and we will need a 4th runway. If that takes the same amount of time since the 3rd was first mooted, let's call that done by the year 2100.

Other countries seem to be able to build proper-sized airports, including more crowded places like Holland (Schiphol has 6 runways) and Hong Kong (all-new Chep Lap Kok has 2 with a third planned, and you know the Chinese will get it done).

Chicago O'Hare has 9 runways (whilst Midway has another 5). Dallas-FW has 7 runways. Even bankrupt Detroit Metro has 6 as does Boston Logan, Denver International and Honolulu International. Whereas other than Heathrow, Manchester is the only UK airport with even 2 runways. There are only 6 runways for all 5 London area airports (Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Stansted and Luton),

What is it about us that we cannot build aviation infrastructure? Can't even blame the EU for that, although it might be fun trying.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Heathrow Expansion

Postby moorfield » November 20th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Lootman wrote: There are only 6 runways for all 5 London area airports (Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Stansted and Luton),

7. Don't forget "London Southend"! :lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Snorvey wrote:When I was in my early teens I remember taking off from RAF Northolt on a commercial fight (chartered by the RAF though).

From the look of it, Northolt is still active for private flights, but little used as a runway for air force activity (I think Typhoons were based there during the London Olympics) and I'm guessing there must still be quite a number of similar runways / former RAF bases around the London area that might take some of the load off Heathrow.

Isn't RAF Northolt used by the PM when he/she flies somewhere officially? The Queen? That said, Cameron took BA flights, albeit in First, but I liked that about him, at least when compared with the US President and his two 747's.

Robin Hood airport (Doncaster) is a former RAF base. Turnhouse (Edinburgh) too. They often have very long runways.
moorfield wrote:
Lootman wrote: There are only 6 runways for all 5 London area airports (Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Stansted and Luton),

7. Don't forget "London Southend"! :lol:

I did forget that. Never used it but I have taken a Stobart Air flight, which is based there.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 20th, 2017, 10:03 pm

There's always Manston, but I think it's shut currently
And 'London' Oxford Airport in Kidlington, a mere 55 miles from central London...

How about Llanbedr, now DERA /MoD whatever aren't there ? Nice long runway, bit difficult to get anywhere from though
I remember it as a target drone place way back when

Return to “Airport Lounge”