Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Muscat?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Muscat?

Postby stevensfo » September 9th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Next March we've decided to stop over in Muscat for 4 days on the way home.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that's sort of midway between beach and town? My wife wants something 'on the beach' but I'd be happy with a hotel closer to the centre.

If you've been there, any advice on what to see?

Steve

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Re: Muscat?

Postby Paultry » October 20th, 2017, 12:44 pm

I've been to Muscat a few times, several years ago, from the time when we lived in Sharjah. Just for holidays and exploring.

In those days there were a few Hotels between the Souk and the fish market, they were the cheapest available, but pretty ropey. I stayed in two of them. On one trip the missus had to leave the lights on all night, in darkness the room filled with cockroaches. No beaches close to hand. The better hotels were the Sheraton in Ruwi in the business district, nice place and pool, but miles from the beaches. The crown plaza in Qurm is right on a lovely beach and was a fine Hotel. The Al-Bustan Palace is really nice, but was too expensive for our budget.

Further south west several hotels were being built for high roller tourism, all expensive I imagine.

My Suggestion. Hire a car at the airport, choose a hotel or two and make a tour. The coast is fabulous, the coves and beaches south of Al-Bustan, just north of Oman dive center are wonderful and you can hire a small boat to take you out for a tour of the islets. Go to the Capital Area Yacht club, food and drinks were a steal compared to the daft hotel prices. Drive to Nizwa for the day. There are also peculiar oases scattered in and around the mountains where you can swim in crystal clear pools. If you had time and desire drive down the coast to Sur, it was a track when I went down, but now its a highway, there is a sink hole near Tiwi then you come to the massive LPG port. If you stay in Sur then go to Ras Al Hadd, this last bit is a flat track so ok in a normal car, renting 4x4s is ludicrously expensive. Get there late evening and go on the tour of the turtle laying beaches, going yourself is a fraction of the cost paid for the organised tours.

If something else comes to mind I'll add it later. Paul

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 20th, 2017, 1:41 pm

A 'family member' lives in Muscat (Al Hail North) - I'll ask her.
Looks really nice, and she enjoys it.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 20th, 2017, 2:07 pm

She has pointed out that Muscat is long and thin with no real central 'town' -where do you need to be east/west relative to airport?
The Radisson Blu has been mentioned but that's 2km south of the sea

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 25th, 2017, 7:12 pm

My Oberstumbahnfuhrer (wife) informs me that she chose the Crowne Plaza near a beach. It was her turn to choose since she got fed up with my choices. I mean what's wrong with a student hostel? :-0

Any tips on what to see will be much appreciated. I hate shopping, but love scenery, museums, culture etc.

Steve

PS If your family member loves shopping, could she please take my wife around the markets for half a day while I explore?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 25th, 2017, 7:46 pm

I will get some tips - the turtles look good! Not sure if there is a 'turtle season'. Its the Ras Al Jinz turtle reserve if you want to investigate .

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 26th, 2017, 9:14 am

Recomendations;
Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque - stunning, open mornings but not Fridays (arms/legs covered , headscarf for women of course)
National Museum of Oman
and in same area,
Muttrah Souq (occasionally Mutrah, if you're Googling) - shopping!

Peak turtle season is June-August but there are a few hatchings nightly outside the season. Long drive (3-4 hrs) and needs overnight stay as viewings dusk/dawn.
If you do the turtles, there is stuff on the way - Bemmah sinkhole, Wadi Shab, Wadi Tiwi, Daquah dam.

If you need any additional advice let me know and I can pass on request - private message is best as I may not spot a follow-on post

Cheers
AC

Return to “Airport Lounge”