Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Ryanair and refuseniks

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Ryanair and refuseniks

Postby Lootman » September 20th, 2017, 8:36 am

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote:For short-haul, in Economy, you may be correct. But Easyjet isn't an option for long-haul or premium classes, which is where most of my flying is.
Does Ryanair cover long haul as well ? (I wouldn't know)

No, they haven't got the planes. A 737 or A321 can just about make it across the Atlantic but may have to stop for fuel westbound. Norwegian is using them on some routes. The real budget competition on long-haul routes is on Norwegian and Wow, flying 787s and A-330s but, again, no business or first classes.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 20th, 2017, 9:09 am

didds wrote:And Ryanair employ people solely to scour the internet looking for this?

That doesn't seem likely to me ... surely not?

I wouldn't waste my time pursuing this, he was obviously making it up (AKA lying).

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 20th, 2017, 9:11 am

didds wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
Person posts "never again". Person then posts about getting a bargain for their subsequent hols.

But unless everybody that does this has shonky FB security settings, how would ryanair ever see these posts?

And Ryanair employ people solely to scour the internet looking for this?

That doesn't seem likely to me ... surely not?

didds

There's a competitive market in companies whose whole mission is to analyse social media and provide statistics to public-facing companies. Can't imagine Ryanair would be such a dinosaur as not to have a finger (or several) in that pie.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 20th, 2017, 9:21 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:There's a competitive market in companies whose whole mission is to analyse social media and provide statistics to public-facing companies. Can't imagine Ryanair would be such a dinosaur as not to have a finger (or several) in that pie.

Fair point :-)

How do they get to analyse/see people's posts who have security settings such that "the world" cannot see their posts though? (which FB constantly suggest we do ie set to friends only)

didds

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » September 20th, 2017, 9:22 am

Moderator Message:
This topic isn't really a DAK any more - if it ever was!
"DAK Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please"

Moved to Travel Lounge (chas49
)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 20th, 2017, 9:30 am

didds wrote:BA were pretty poor back in the very early 90s. I used to fly FRA-LON-FRA quite a bit as I lived in (initially West) Germany at the time. The quality of service from Lufthansa was immensely superior, for the same price.
didds

I lived most of the '90s in central Italy.

Two airlines above all other to avoid were BA and Alitalia. Today's low-cost airlines weren't an option. I think the best experience was Monarch, and I'd take the likes of Britannia, or Meridiana (a smaller Italian lot whose name I may or may not have remembered correctly) or Debonair (a new player that went rapidly from quite impressive to quite tatty to no longer there) ahead of the dreadful dinosaurs.

The last time I travelled on BA[1], I turned up at Gatwick, where I couldn't find my mid-morning flight to Rome. Stood in a dreadful huge queue to ask about it, and was treated very rudely by BA staff. After about three long queues, found someone who knew what was going on: the flight had been cancelled. They'd booked me on to another flight, from Heathrow (and of course they weren't paying for travel Gatwick-Heathrow) to a different Rome airport. By the time I arrived there, I was too late for the last bus back home from Rome!

[1] I had failed to get Monarch, because their flights were 100% full.
Last edited by UncleEbenezer on September 20th, 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 20th, 2017, 9:36 am

didds wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:There's a competitive market in companies whose whole mission is to analyse social media and provide statistics to public-facing companies. Can't imagine Ryanair would be such a dinosaur as not to have a finger (or several) in that pie.

How do they get to analyse/see people's posts who have security settings such that "the world" cannot see their posts though? (which FB constantly suggest we do ie set to friends only)

didds

Who said anything about FB (though I'm sure some of the data comes from there)?

What we post on LemonFool and a million other special-interest communities is all part of the data being analysed. The biggest single www data source is likely Twitter. And it's not just Web fora: other popular online fora can be fed into ones data analysis.

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » September 20th, 2017, 9:42 am

didds wrote:"O’Leary said that travellers vowing never to fly Ryanair again will almost certainly return to the airline because its prices are lower. “Our booking engine is full of passengers who have sworn they will never fly with us again,” he said."

DAK how Ryanair know that people who have claimed never to fly with them again, actually have done?

didds

If you assume everyone who flies with Ryanair swears "never again", then it's easy ... any passenger in their booking engine more than once :D

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 20th, 2017, 9:44 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:What we post on LemonFool and a million other special-interest communities is all part of the data being analysed. The biggest single www data source is likely Twitter. And it's not just Web fora: other popular online fora can be fed into ones data analysis.

Of course in general what you're saying is just stating the obvious - commercial organisations use social media to their best advantage.

But the specific quotation that didds queried? Not a chance of them having the data to back it up.

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 20th, 2017, 9:57 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Who said anything about FB (though I'm sure some of the data comes from there)?

What we post on LemonFool and a million other special-interest communities is all part of the data being analysed. The biggest single www data source is likely Twitter. And it's not just Web fora: other popular online fora can be fed into ones data analysis.

ah - good points! I foolishly only considered FB.

There couldn't be much cross checking across multiple SM maybe - unless eg "UncleEbenezer" for example was alsoe UE's FB, twitter, and fgoodness knows what else SM handle etc.

cheers

didds

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 20th, 2017, 11:39 am

FredBloggs wrote:Dublin? I take the ferry.

I'm in Essex on Monday and get a phone call that I am urgently needed in Dublin on Wednesday and missing the appointment will probably cost me 20% of my year's earnings because I'd lose the customer, but am committed to a day South of London.

Would you still choose 8 or 10 hours travelling time (depending on which ferry route) over Ryanair?

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 20th, 2017, 12:07 pm

didds wrote:

didds

I would suggest that Facebook would quite happily sell that sort of statistical data, not who, just how many, and that they would have the tools to analyse their product (the users)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 20th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Slarti wrote:

I'm in Essex on Monday and get a phone call that I am urgently needed in Dublin on Wednesday and missing the appointment will probably cost me 20% of my year's earnings because I'd lose the customer, but am committed to a day South of London.

Overnight ferries have cabins so the net effective time it takes to cross by ferry is significantly less than the total elapsed time.

Or take Aer Lingus from LHR. Or Stobart Air from Southend airport.

But I guess my glib answer is that I wouldn't live in Essex in the first place :-)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 20th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Lootman wrote:
Slarti wrote:

Overnight ferries have cabins so the net effective time it takes to cross by ferry is significantly less than the total elapsed time.

Or take Aer Lingus from LHR. Or Stobart Air from Southend airport.

But I guess my glib answer is that I wouldn't live in Essex in the first place :-)

But, I was travelling from Surrey, where I had been attending a customer and there was no way I could have got to Hollyhead by the time of the last sailing and I need more than 3 hour's 15 minutes sleep, which is all the ferry takes.

I don't think that there were any flights from other London airports that I could get to in time and I had to be there on the Wednesday as the Big Chief was leaving for USA Wednesday evening.

I did research it and, given already existing commitments, bloody Ryanair was the only practical option.

Slarti

PaulBullet
Lemon Pip

Postby PaulBullet » September 20th, 2017, 5:16 pm

The question was "DAK how Ryanair know that people who have claimed never to fly with them again, actually have done?"

I would think that when you tell Ryanair that you will not fly with them again, maybe through a letter of complaint or similar, then they will make a note on your account.

They can then search for people who have complained, and see if they have a booking history after the day they said they will not fly again.

Any customer relations/retentions team would use this as a measure of how well they are doing there jobs

Paul

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 20th, 2017, 5:56 pm

The two thoughts I had were Scott's and Paul's...

... but the thing about Paul's suggestion seems to be how do they know that a tweet, or FB complaint to Ryanair FB page email from John Smith is the same John Smith that subsequently buys a ticket later? Maybe snail mail correspondence - but how many people actually write physical letters these days I wonder?

Which really leaves me firmly back in the Scott camp. They're making it up. Because "we" can't prove they are lying any more than they can prove somebody that said they never fly with them subsequently did.

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 20th, 2017, 6:59 pm

didds wrote:Which really leaves me firmly back in the Scott camp. They're making it up. Because "we" can't prove they are lying any more than they can prove somebody that said they never fly with them subsequently did.

So I'm not saying it's impossible for them to know that some refuseniks fly with them again, but the “Our booking engine is full of passengers who have sworn they will never fly with us again” statement is obvious codswallop.

Scott.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 21st, 2017, 11:18 am

swill453 wrote:
didds wrote:Which really leaves me firmly back in the Scott camp. They're making it up. Because "we" can't prove they are lying any more than they can prove somebody that said they never fly with them subsequently did.

So I'm not saying it's impossible for them to know that some refuseniks fly with them again, but the “Our booking engine is full of passengers who have sworn they will never fly with us again” statement is obvious codswallop.

Scott.

It's almost like he is a genius at getting major news outlets to advertise his cheap fares continuously for absolutely no money... He has proved that there need not be any such thing as bad publicity.

People are even talking about him on financial forums... anybody had a look at flight prices whilst contributing to this thread?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 21st, 2017, 11:33 am

BobbyD wrote:People are even talking about him on financial forums... anybody had a look at flight prices whilst contributing to this thread?

Yes.

With Easyjet.

Scott.

Return to “Airport Lounge”