Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

First time ti India - Suggestions

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Re: First time ti India - Suggestions

Postby TahiPanasDua » December 26th, 2017, 10:34 am

It's not India, of course, but Sri Lanka shares a few tourist scams. We lived there for almost 7 years. Here are a few of the recurring themes.

1. New Best Friends. (They can be remarkably convincing)

Touts station themselves outside any location frequented by foreigners such as hotels, restaurants, bars, bus and rail terminals. The basic rule is never to enter into conversation with them no matter how friendly, honest or polite they seem. Some of their ploys:
a. Do you need directions/ have you visited X yet? I'll flag down a cheap 3 wheeler/taxi for you. He is in cahoots with the driver and they get commission for your visits to shops, restaurants, bars, etc.
b. Where are you going? Oh that hotel/ department store has closed down/is too far away but I can recommend a nicer cheaper /nearer alternative. Let me just flag down a passing 3 wheeler/taxi for you.........
c. Hi, I work in reception of the hotel/restaurant you have just walked out of and I saw you there earlier. Where are you going? Oh, that restaurant/bar etc. has just closed/is too expensive/ no good. I can recommend another. Let me just.....
d. I think you would enjoy visiting some of our famous gem museums, organic herb gardens, etc. (They look indistinguishable from shops when you get there and there are no local customers). Let me just flag down.........

2. Beggars.

a. First prize goes to the guys who operated daily on our street corner. One arrived for work carrying a pair of crutches and would do a highly credible cripple on his last legs when vehicles approached the traffic lights. A true thespian.
b. Women with babies or toddlers at the same street corners daily and in all weathers. They frequently rent the kids by the day.

Beggars are awarded pitches by gangs who helpfully provide transport to and from the pitch and even supply packed lunches.

3. Bum Recommendations.

Hard to avoid but even legitimate taxi/ 3 wheeler drivers will recommend coffee stops at god forsaken dreary empty tea shops that exist only to service taxi customers.

I could go on.

TP2

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Re: First time ti India - Suggestions

Postby Nimrod103 » December 26th, 2017, 9:03 pm

TahiPanasDua wrote:It's not India, of course, but Sri Lanka shares a few tourist scams. We lived there for almost 7 years. Here are a few of the recurring themes.

1. New Best Friends. (They can be remarkably convincing)

Touts station themselves outside any location frequented by foreigners such as hotels, restaurants, bars, bus and rail terminals. The basic rule is never to enter into conversation with them no matter how friendly, honest or polite they seem. Some of their ploys:
a. Do you need directions/ have you visited X yet? I'll flag down a cheap 3 wheeler/taxi for you. He is in cahoots with the driver and they get commission for your visits to shops, restaurants, bars, etc.
b. Where are you going? Oh that hotel/ department store has closed down/is too far away but I can recommend a nicer cheaper /nearer alternative. Let me just flag down a passing 3 wheeler/taxi for you.........
c. Hi, I work in reception of the hotel/restaurant you have just walked out of and I saw you there earlier. Where are you going? Oh, that restaurant/bar etc. has just closed/is too expensive/ no good. I can recommend another. Let me just.....
d. I think you would enjoy visiting some of our famous gem museums, organic herb gardens, etc. (They look indistinguishable from shops when you get there and there are no local customers). Let me just flag down.........

2. Beggars.

a. First prize goes to the guys who operated daily on our street corner. One arrived for work carrying a pair of crutches and would do a highly credible cripple on his last legs when vehicles approached the traffic lights. A true thespian.
b. Women with babies or toddlers at the same street corners daily and in all weathers. They frequently rent the kids by the day.

Beggars are awarded pitches by gangs who helpfully provide transport to and from the pitch and even supply packed lunches.

3. Bum Recommendations.

Hard to avoid but even legitimate taxi/ 3 wheeler drivers will recommend coffee stops at god forsaken dreary empty tea shops that exist only to service taxi customers.

I could go on.

TP2

All of this true, and the normal assumption is be wary of everyone, and assume all touts, guides and drivers are working on commission. However, saying that travelling around India can be delightful, and not really too bad. Many Indians are quite protective of foreign travellers. Some of the best and most reliable travelling companions are Indian families with grandparents and children, who are often taking overnight trains for family gatherings, holidays etc.
Many foreign travellers find dealing with beggars a problem. Indian travellers just ignore them, and my advice would be to do likewise. Beggars sense a foreigner's discomfort and will pester you mercilessly. Most beggars are farmed by touts to work particular areas, and have to pay for the privilege. I usually felt I had to give something, so I used to go to the bank and get a thick wad of 10 rupee notes, each worth about 12 pence. Handing these out assuaged my conscience, and being of comparatively low value sent a clear message to the beggar or tout that I was a hard nut to crack. Coins (1, 2 and 5 Rupees) were always mysteriously in short supply in India. Shops tried to hold on to them, so I advise doing the same - they were always useful for very small payments or gifts to kids.

Return to “Airport Lounge”