Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Lanzarote

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Lanzarote

Postby Clitheroekid » January 23rd, 2018, 9:39 pm

I'm completely fed up with the grey, wet gloom of January and I want some sun.

Having looked around I was quite surprised to see that the temperatures in places like Cyprus and even Morocco seem to be sub-20C, and I'm ideally looking for something in the early to mid 20's.

I only want to go for three or four nights, just to warm up a bit, so whilst the Caribbean might be an obvious choice I've decided it's too far for a short trip.

The simplest option seems to be the Canaries. I've been to Tenerife, and was underwhelmed, but although I fancy Madeira the weather there looks a bit suspect. Lanzarote looks to be quite an attractive prospect for sunshine, though I've always had an image of it as just a rocky desert surrounded by sea, which is a bit off-putting.

Having said that, on such a short break I'm not looking for a great - or, indeed, any - cultural experience. I'm perfectly happy just pottering about, and although I'm not one for just lying on a beach all day I do love walking on beaches and being next to the ocean.

So have any LF's been to Lanzarote, and how did you find it? There seem to be three main resort areas, Arrecife, Puerto del Carmen and Playa Blanca - are they much different? I'd prefer a low key sort of place rather than a busy resort.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Re: Lanzarote

Postby Maroochydore » January 23rd, 2018, 10:41 pm

I can't give any advice except to consider why it's frequently known as Lanzagrotty.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » January 23rd, 2018, 10:42 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I'm completely fed up with the grey, wet gloom of January and I want some sun.

Having looked around I was quite surprised to see that the temperatures in places like Cyprus and even Morocco seem to be sub-20C, and I'm ideally looking for something in the early to mid 20's.

I only want to go for three or four nights, just to warm up a bit, so whilst the Caribbean might be an obvious choice I've decided it's too far for a short trip.

The simplest option seems to be the Canaries. I've been to Tenerife, and was underwhelmed, but although I fancy Madeira the weather there looks a bit suspect. Lanzarote looks to be quite an attractive prospect for sunshine, though I've always had an image of it as just a rocky desert surrounded by sea, which is a bit off-putting.

Having said that, on such a short break I'm not looking for a great - or, indeed, any - cultural experience. I'm perfectly happy just pottering about, and although I'm not one for just lying on a beach all day I do love walking on beaches and being next to the ocean.

So have any LF's been to Lanzarote, and how did you find it? There seem to be three main resort areas, Arrecife, Puerto del Carmen and Playa Blanca - are they much different? I'd prefer a low key sort of place rather than a busy resort.

I went to Lanzarote about 20 years ago, and enjoyed it. However, it is a long way to go (3.5 hr flight) for anything less than a week. The island had a number of things going for it - camel rides, cooking food over volcanic vents, vineyards where each vine is surrounded by its own wall to protect from the drying winds, an unusual volcanic cave system, and a garden set in a collapsed cave. It tends to be warmer than the other Canary Islands, but the weather can still be quite changeable, I think. Feb is drier than December.
I have just come back from a week in Gran Canaria. Like Tenerife, the south of the island is much drier and hotter than the north of the island, and is probably the place to go at this time of year for more chance of sun and heat. Why were you underwhelmed by Tenerife?

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » January 23rd, 2018, 11:01 pm

The resorts in Lanzarote are a bit naff, but there is loads to see, great walks, markets, stunning views, interesting volcanic park, great cactus park, grottos, Manriques art and sculptures all over the island and especially his house. Just keep away from the resorts. Been twice, would go again in a trice, great destination....

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » January 24th, 2018, 8:51 am

As it happens I have just come back from a week in Lanzarote. I went to catch some winter sunshine, but was rather disappointed with the weather. Temperatures were up to the low twenties, but strong breezes and a lot of cloud cover made it seem cooler. I may just have been unlucky, the day we left was perfect (sod's law!). I have visited previously in Spring and late Autumn, when the weather was good, perhaps it is less reliable in Winter. Also although it is a long was south, the days are still short in January, it gets light about 8 and get dark around 6, starts to cool off about 4 in the afternoon.

As another poster mentioned, I think it is too far for a visit of 3 or 4 days. The flight time is over 4 hours and the flights tend to leave early in the morning, which can be tiring. In its favour is that there is no time difference with the UK.

I would not describe it as having a beautiful landscape, but it is full of fascination, unlike anywhere else I have visited. Low volcanic hills almost totally without vegetation, huge areas of lava from the most recent eruptions in the south. The farmed areas are very interesting, grapes being grown in the lava, each vine with its own protective lava wall (Google "Geria" and look at the images), other crops (potatoes, onions, aloe etc) are grown in the lava grit in small fields.

Hope that helps :D

colboy

Postby colboy » January 24th, 2018, 10:53 am

Just back from Lanzarote, had a great trip. Stayed in a studio with pool shared with other studio/villas. As mentioned the week was breezy and a bit cool so did not use the pool. Hired a small car and visited various parts of the island in the week. Mostly we walked, some great routes around the rims of volcanoes or out to quiet beaches. Coach tour around volcano park was fascinating even though we are not into anything too touristy. Found the resorts reasonably civilised and low rise, some good restaurants. If you are sporty try Club La Santa resort with full sporting facilities and classes.

Lanzarote in summary - Good location to go and chill for the week.

kml101

Postby kml101 » January 24th, 2018, 11:16 am

Been many times to Lanzarote and booked to go again next month for just 4 nights as cannot go for longer! Love the beach at Puerto del Carmen and the harbour area.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » January 24th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Just to see his Art, his Sculptures, the Mirador, the Jameos del Agua, the Cactus Park, and the amazing underground volcanic house of César Manrique is a good enough reason to visit Lanzarote IMO. Wind sculptures all over the Island and the absence of tall buildings on the island is all down to him. A walk though the volcanic park and the opportunity to walk through lava tubes is amazing, but you do have to be younger than 65 or perhaps now 60 I believe. I have been all the world but there has been nothing to match all the unique things you will see on Lanzarote. I am really surprised people just seem to think its a beach place? The sunflower book is worth buying if you like walking it contains many great walks with stunning vertiginous views.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/César_Manrique

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 24th, 2018, 2:40 pm

tea42 wrote:Just to see his Art, his Sculptures, the Mirador, the Jameos del Agua, the Cactus Park, and the amazing underground volcanic house of César Manrique is a good enough reason to visit Lanzarote IMO. Wind sculptures all over the Island and the absence of tall buildings on the island is all down to him. A walk though the volcanic park and the opportunity to walk through lava tubes is amazing, but you do have to be younger than 65 or perhaps now 60 I believe. I have been all the world but there has been nothing to match all the unique things you will see on Lanzarote. I am really surprised people just seem to think its a beach place? The sunflower book is worth buying if you like walking it contains many great walks with stunning vertiginous views.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/César_Manrique

All that and some excellent, easy scuba diving. Well worth a trip.

We've been a few times, including January. Playa Blanca is a bit quieter, Puerto Del Carmen a bit livelier (Safari Divers are very friendly if you fancy a dip). Looking for olivine (semi-precious stone) is a good way to get to know some of the rocky areas, and the sea crashing against the cliffs can be pretty awesome at times. Hire a car, go see the sites, read the island's history; it's a fascinating place (King Philip of Spain refused people the right to leave the island, worried that the Brits or somebody else would "nick it" if the Spanish population fell too low...)

syrio
2 Lemon pips

Postby syrio » January 24th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Been there twice. Never really stayed in the main resorts.

Plenty to see outside the resorts - some amazing scenery and and quiet beaches. Get a car and explore.

BreakoutBoy1

Postby BreakoutBoy1 » January 24th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Manrique was a bona fide visionary genius. If you have a few days, don't bother with the (rather windy) beaches. Go immerse yourself in his imagination, he built some magical things.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 24th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:...

We stayed slightly to the east of Playa Blanca, primarily for the reasons you state. We'd heard of Lanzagrotty (see earlier in the thread) but were unable to replicate the experience although we'd heard that Arrecife and Puerto del Carmen are far more touristy but didn't visit them.

In fact the hotel is this one http://www.hotelvolcanlanzarote.com/en/ which is set behind the modern marina, where there is a reasonable choice of restaurants, as well as a number in the hotel itself. There's a very large swimming pool (and some smaller ones) if you need it.

If you use the scroll facility on the map here http://www.hotelvolcanlanzarote.com/en/ ... e-are.html you can see:

1. Playa Blanca is to the west and you can walk along the frontage for many a mile. There are no real beaches at Playa Blanca itself.

2. The wild beaches at Papagayos are to the east and worth a visit (beware of the nudist section, unless that floats your boat).

3. It is no distance from there to the volcanoes at Timanfaya Natural Park (20 minutes by car?) and near there the fish restaurants and black sand at El Golfo are supposed to be good. I'd second the coach trip around the volcanoes (you can board them there). I like to pretend I'm not a tourist but we were all glad we went on them. Down the hill are the camels but, having "ridden" them previously, that's something that can be avoided when time is short.

4. I'd second or is it third the use of a car. We visited most of the places already mentioned as well as a neolithic(?) settlement somewhere or other and spent a pleasant afternoon in the former capital Teguise (45 mins from Playa Blanca). If you have time to get to the north coast there are some good walking paths on the clifftops and great views over to the island of La Graciosa.

All in all, more than plenty to do in 3 or 4 days.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 25th, 2018, 12:36 pm

We've been 3 times. First to Puerto del Carmen, 2nd to Playa Blanca, 3rd to Costa Teguise.

Our view is that Puerto del Carmen is Lanzagrotty, or Blackpool a la Canaries.

Costa Teguise is a purpose built resort and as such is a bit soulless, though we found more good Spanish style restaurants there.

Playa Blanca is by far and away the most up market of the 3 places we have stayed at as far as shops and restaurants go. Looking at the map, what I thought was Playa Blanca is actually 4 adjoining locations, stretching round to San Marcial del Rubicon. It is only just over 1.5k walk along the front from end to end.

Depending on what you want in the way of accommodation The Princess Yaiza looked a pretty good 4* hotel, when we nosed around.
For self catering (which restaurant tonight?) we stayed at Ona Las Casitas, Calle Fuerteventura which is at the relatively down market end of the bay, but still very nice. Quiet but a short walk over the road to the end of the town.

If I had time and money available, I'd fly tomorrow, even though the flights leave Gatwick at about 07:30 :shock:

Slarti

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 27th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Many thanks for all the responses. You've collectively convinced me to take the plunge, and having looked at the Hotel Volcan recommended by PD and knowing him to be a man of taste and discernment ;) I've booked a few nights there leaving Thursday next week.

By avoiding weekend flights I got a really good deal - just £68 return from Manchester. And good flight times as well - 9:30am out, arriving back at 6:00pm - perfect.

Apart from a rare appearance of the sun yesterday the weather here has continued grey and miserable, so now I've made the commitment I can't wait to leave! :D

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » January 28th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Many thanks for all the responses. You've collectively convinced me to take the plunge, and having looked at the Hotel Volcan recommended by PD and knowing him to be a man of taste and discernment ;) I've booked a few nights there leaving Thursday next week.

Hope you enjoy your trip. Let us know your impressions :)

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » January 31st, 2018, 10:04 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Many thanks for all the responses. You've collectively convinced me to take the plunge, and having looked at the Hotel Volcan recommended by PD and knowing him to be a man of taste and discernment ;) I've booked a few nights there leaving Thursday next week.

By avoiding weekend flights I got a really good deal - just £68 return from Manchester. And good flight times as well - 9:30am out, arriving back at 6:00pm - perfect.

Apart from a rare appearance of the sun yesterday the weather here has continued grey and miserable, so now I've made the commitment I can't wait to leave! :D

Keep a weather eye on this forecast. It is for Yaiza which is about 15km from Playa Blanca and at a higher altitude (so typically a degree or so cooler than down on the coast). It has been comparatively cold and wet here in Lanzarote this last week, so much so that you might well see green rather than the usual brown on the mountains.

If hiring a car, a couple of tips. First, forget everything you've ever learnt about driving on roundabouts - stick to the right hand lane, even if turning left. Second, if driving from the airport and the satnav tells you to turn left at the camel roundabout (you'll recognise it when you see it) ignore it, stay on the LZ2 and save the trip up the winding mountain road for another day.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » February 1st, 2018, 11:03 am

I know its incredibly expensive and a first order tourist trap, but my family *loved* the submarine.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... lands.html

DM

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 1st, 2018, 4:14 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:I know its incredibly expensive and a first order tourist trap, but my family *loved* the submarine.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... lands.html

DM

Most heartily seconded.

And at the other extreme is the César Manrique Cactus Garden which has a nice little cafe.

Slarti

Regdragon

Postby Regdragon » February 6th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Having been to Lanzarote just before Christmas, can I just add that I think Arrecife, the capital, is worth a day’s “pottering” too? From Playa Blanca it’s about 40 minutes on a cheap bus and it has the Strava Bar or Tabla restaurant for lunch, the old harbour at San Gines for a very pleasant beer in the sun, a nice square near San Gines church, good coffee and cake at Bell Pan on Calle Mexico,a safe 13km cycle path to Puerto del Carmen - unlike the route north to Costa Teguise which leaves the path for most of the way - and a colony of egrets near a car park by the bus station! I had breezy, sunny weather around 20c every day and hence I used El Reducto Beach in Arrecife too. Overlooking El Reducto is the GranArrecife
Hotel where, even as a non-resident, you can use the almist-rooftop bar and pool on the 17th floor.

If you want to watch England v Wales in the 6N on Saturday, the Irish Anvil Bar in Playa Blanca is the best place as it has at least ten screens and seemed very pleasant with good service. I probably only mention this as it is causing me concern on holiday at the moment!

Regards

RD

Regdragon

Postby Regdragon » February 6th, 2018, 4:49 pm

I meant “almost-rooftop” rather than “almist-rooftop.” I was actually trying to stress the view rather than talk it down!

RD

Return to “Airport Lounge”