Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

How vulnerable is the internet?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Re: How vulnerable is the internet?

Postby quelquod » July 1st, 2017, 9:00 am

swill453 wrote:
didds wrote:The Oracle ownership seemed to have seen the decline.

I was employed by Sun Microsystems during the takeover, you could definitely see the way that was going to go.

Now my son works (indirectly) for Oracle. But 90% of his job is Linux rather than Solaris.

Scott.

Yes, seems to be for the chop with v12 disappearing from the roadmap earlier this year. I'm still running a couple of Solaris systems on Sun and x86 but I do expect them to become more of interest than of use short-term.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » July 1st, 2017, 3:10 pm

didds wrote:Its also a reason why many crucial servers don;t use windows - w.g. Linux. Not that linux servers don't have their own vulnerabilities - I spend much of my life patching vulnerabilities it seems ! - but generally speaking they don;t seem to get targeted for viruses. And neither does that mean they are totally "bullet-proof"didds

I expect that most of you have read that our shiny new aircraf carrier the Queen Elizabeth is running on Windows SP... See, for example: "OH GOD HELP US, it appears that the massive aircraft carrier known as HMS Queen Elizabeth could be running Windows XP, and therefore might be a huge floating WannaCry target" - https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... windows-xp. However, you can be totally reassured: Cdr Mark Deller, commander air on the Queen Elizabeth, told The Guardian: "The ship is well designed and there has been a very, very stringent procurement train that has ensured we are less susceptible to cyber than most... We are a very sanitised procurement train. I would say, compared to the NHS buying computers off the shelf, we are probably better than that. If you think more Nasa and less NHS you are probably in the right place" - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... e-raising/.

Jon

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 2nd, 2017, 10:51 am

Jonetc15 wrote:I expect that most of you have read that our shiny new aircraf carrier the Queen Elizabeth is running on Windows SP... See, for example: "OH GOD HELP US, it appears that the massive aircraft carrier known as HMS Queen Elizabeth could be running Windows XP, and therefore might be a huge floating WannaCry target" - https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... windows-xp. However, you can be totally reassured: Cdr Mark Deller, commander air on the Queen Elizabeth, told The Guardian: "The ship is well designed and there has been a very, very stringent procurement train that has ensured we are less susceptible to cyber than most... We are a very sanitised procurement train. I would say, compared to the NHS buying computers off the shelf, we are probably better than that. If you think more Nasa and less NHS you are probably in the right place" - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... e-raising/.

But it is a totally non standard version of XP, known to those who work with it as Windows for Warcraft.
Is is the same as used on many HM Navy vessels, including the current nuclear subs.

Also, WannaCry is very easy to block, and had already been on the RFA ships currently in production to accompany HMS Queen Elizabeth, long before the recent attack. Plus, it may surprise you to know, RN ships don't connect directly to the internet that often.

Slarti

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”