Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Laser printer toner

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Watis
Lemon Quarter

Laser printer toner

Postby Watis » October 16th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Just asking for recommendations for suppliers of compatible laser printer toner cartridges?

TIA,

Watis

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Laser printer toner

Postby supremetwo » October 16th, 2018, 1:11 pm

No problem with a purchase from:-
https://www.tonerpeople.co.uk/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 16th, 2018, 1:42 pm

I've been using https://www.ijtdirect.co.uk, also known as https://www.makingitgreen.co.uk, for the last 15 years or so and I've only ever had one dud cartridge, which they replaced. Typical price I pay for a Dell 1350 series cartridge (700 pages) is a tenner including delivery, although sometimes it's been on special offer down to a fiver. No brainer. :)

Downsides: (i)The stuff is posted VAT-free from Holland, which takes a couple of days, and (ii) they tend to phone you up every couple of months to try and sell you more cartridges whenever they've got an offer on the go for your particular printer. A worthwhile inconvenience, I find. All I have to do is say no.

BJ

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 16th, 2018, 9:40 pm

I have purchased my toner cartridges from Colour Direct via Amazon (for an HP monochrome LaserJet). Last purchase was a twin pack for £13.99 about a year ago. I have been purchasing these since 2013.
I have great difficulty in finding places to dispose of the used cartridges in an environmentally friendly manner. Any Ideas?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 17th, 2018, 9:27 am

scotia wrote:I have great difficulty in finding places to dispose of the used cartridges in an environmentally friendly manner. Any Ideas?

Our local PC World used to accept them, although they didn't advertise the fact at the tills. I don't know whether they still do, but I imagine it would be an unpopular practice to stop once they'd started it?

Our local recycling tip has a bin for old toner cartridges. The only snag is that they insist that you remove all the packaging before you deposit them in the bin. Thus releasing all the lovely toxic, choking dust which was the whole reason why you put the dead cartridge back into its box in the first place. So by the time you get back into your car to drive home you've got yellow, cyan and magenta hands. :(

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 17th, 2018, 9:45 am

scotia wrote:I have great difficulty in finding places to dispose of the used cartridges in an environmentally friendly manner. Any Ideas?

Personally I think that spending a lot of time fretting about disposing of relatively small items like this (and batteries, light bulbs etc.) is not worth the effort. Landfill sites these days* are sophisticated constructions, well able to contain these nasties for the foreseeable, and they'll get lost among the millions of tons of household garbage they're buried with.

Much more serious practices like littering, fly-tipping, flushing plastic items down the toilet and throwing garbage into the oceans from ships deserve the focus.

* - yes landfills from 50 years ago are a menace, but not now.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 17th, 2018, 10:02 am

swill453 wrote:

Personally I think that spending a lot of time fretting about disposing of relatively small items like this (and batteries, light bulbs etc.) is not worth the effort. Landfill sites these days* are sophisticated constructions.

I'd been operating under the illusion that the cartridges were cleaned, checked and refilled. Was that perhaps naïve of me?

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 17th, 2018, 10:30 am

bungeejumper wrote:I'd been operating under the illusion that the cartridges were cleaned, checked and refilled. Was that perhaps naïve of me?

BJ

Maybe you're right, apologies for going off at a tangent.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 17th, 2018, 5:27 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I'd been operating under the illusion that the cartridges were cleaned, checked and refilled. Was that perhaps naïve of me?
BJ

Yes - the ones that I buy are recycled in this way. But the only way of returning them for recycling seems to involve accumulating large numbers of them, to make it economical for a collection. A nearby Tesco has a collection point for inkjet cartridges, but not for laser toner cartridges.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 17th, 2018, 6:31 pm

How to recycle toner cartridges? This option seems to tick a lot of the right boxes. https://www.againstbreastcancer.org.uk/ ... artridges/

Getting involved couldn’t be easier, simply complete the form below clicking the ‘freepost envelopes’ option and we’ll send you a pack of envelopes.* All you need to do is post your empty cartridges and our recycling partner will take care of the rest.

BJ

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”