Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Beware scammers

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Beware scammers

Postby melonfool » August 14th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Moderator Message:
I've merged this with RedSturgeon's previous thread on the same topic. Mel

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Spam with genuine password in it.

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 14th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Slarti wrote:Well would you put out a Bitcoin wallet address on a spam blackmail email that you use for anything else?

Slarti

Would I? Hmmm ...

Have you stopped beating your wife?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 29th, 2018, 5:55 pm

melonfool wrote:
Slarti wrote:I've had 2 or 3 of those in my ISP's spam trap. But the email addresses they were to were not of anybody who has ever been on my domain and the passwords were not valid on my systems.

I think that they are selecting people from http://haveibeenpwned.com/ where, as well as real ones, there are many, many false email addresses.

Slarti

Are you suggesting that if I put my email address in their search tool, they retain it? Because I didn't think they did?

Mel

Not at all.

haveibeenpwned contains a list of email addresses gathered from the Dark Web (as I understand it) that are being offered for sale, together with an indication if there is a password with the address.

When you search for a full domain, I have 2, you get a list of all that have been for sale, where they were leaked from and if there was a password attached.

So for one of my domains where there have only ever been 5 email address, the list of pwned ones contained over 60, but missed 2 of the real ones. It looked like most had been leaked by the type of people who buy lists in good faith, or in other words, they've been conned and then hacked. Possibly through the list that they bought.

Slarti

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 17th, 2018, 12:16 am

It seems these folks have adopted something more scary: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/1 ... _scammers/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”