Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Emptied D: Drive but some space is still occupied

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
alphab1
Lemon Pip

Emptied D: Drive but some space is still occupied

Postby alphab1 » November 8th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Hi,

My first query here. I completely emptied the D: drive (data) on my Lenovo PC running OS Win7 but 2Gb out of 100Gb is sill not free. There are no hidden folders as I made sure from Folder Options in Control Panel.

Before emptying I used this drive for storing back up folders. I also emptied the Recycle BIn after Disk Clean Up. Although I am not short of space I think I should understand the reason to avoid future problems.

Thanks.
alpha

foundone
Lemon Pip

Re: Emptied D: Drive but some space is still occupied

Postby foundone » November 8th, 2016, 5:04 pm

How are you telling that 2GB is in use? I'd imagine it's gone to internal structures such as space maps, indexing etc. The recycle bin can often have a structure on the drive even when showing as empty and I've often seen content in there which needs deleting manually.

Have you tried reformatting the drive?

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 8th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Have you emptied the recycle bin?

<oops - preempted>

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2016, 5:16 pm

alphab1 wrote: I completely emptied the D: drive (data) on my Lenovo PC running OS Win7 but 2Gb out of 100Gb is sill not free. There are no hidden folders as I made sure from Folder Options in Control Panel.

Is there a 'System Volume Information' hidden folder? this is a hidden System file that Windows uses to store a number of thing it doesn't want you to mess with. For instance, on your 'Windows' drive this is where your Restore Points are kept. As your D: drive is now 'empty', the easiest way to clear the 'System Volume Information' is to reformat your D: drive - this will create a new 'System Volume Information' folder with minimal data stored in it.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

alphab1 wrote: I completely emptied the D: drive (data) on my Lenovo PC running OS Win7 but 2Gb out of 100Gb is sill not free. There are no hidden folders as I made sure from Folder Options in Control Panel.

Is there a 'System Volume Information' hidden folder? this is a hidden System file that Windows uses to store a number of thing it doesn't want you to mess with. For instance, on your 'Windows' drive this is where your Restore Points are kept. As your D: drive is now 'empty', the easiest way to clear the 'System Volume Information' is to reformat your D: drive - this will create a new 'System Volume Information' folder with minimal data stored in it.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

alphab1
Lemon Pip

Postby alphab1 » November 8th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Thank you all.

I found the space still in use by clicking on "Properties" for D:. And I did empty the Recycle Bin.

I will look for the hidden folder as suggested by Bree. If I cannot empty the drive that way I will format it again (NTFS), assuming that the computer does not stop me from doing it :-).

Cheers.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » November 8th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Breelander wrote:

Breelander wrote:

Breelander wrote:

No wonder you've got that fancy crown

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2016, 5:54 pm

robbelg wrote:
Breelander wrote:
No wonder you've got that fancy crown

50+ posts and you'll get one too :D

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 8th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Was the drive a boot drive? If so, you may well have a hidden partition with all the boot stuff on it. If you've now deleted that, the drive will be fine as a storage drive, but if ever you try to boot from it and it fails, remember these comments! If that happens, I'll find the documentation I used to make my drive bootable again... three days of struggling that took :(

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2016, 9:40 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Was the drive a boot drive? If so, you may well have a hidden partition with all the boot stuff on it. If you've now deleted that, the drive will be fine as a storage drive, but if ever you try to boot from it and it fails, remember these comments! If that happens, I'll find the documentation I used to make my drive bootable again... three days of struggling that took :(

I hope that's not the case here as the OP just said 'cleared the D: drive' (presumably by just deleting files). Even reformatting D: won't affect other partitions. The way to find out if another partition is using space is to open 'Disk Management' (run %windir%\system32\diskmgmt.msc /s or find it as a part of Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management). The partitions to avoid messing with at all costs are the ones with no drive letter (usually marked as 'Recovery partition' - the boot one will also be marked 'Active').

alphab1
Lemon Pip

Postby alphab1 » November 9th, 2016, 3:04 pm

I wanted to make sure that there were no essential folders on D: (the drive under discussion) such as the Boot folder (?) which might have been inadvertently put in there. So I followed Bree's advice and opened the Disk Management page to see the contents of all the drives on my computer (Disk0).

The four main drives, C: (100.54 GB); D: (100.88 GB); E: (248.97 GB); and Q: (11.86 GB) are all shown as Healthy Primary partitions with only C: having the additional description - Boot, Page File and Crash Dump. There are two other drives: 100 MB EFI system Partition and 2.32 GB Unallocated.

However, clicking on D: still shows 'Emply folder' although Properties show 98 Gb free and 2.79 used.

I have not yet formatted D: to clean up the space. It seems to me this won't cause any problem with the subsequent restarting and running of the computer.

Cheers.
alpha

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”