Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Remote access software

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Remote access software

Postby kiloran » May 13th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Any recommendations for remote access software, so that I can remotely manage my sister's laptop if/when she has problems.

Windows 10 Home at both ends on HP laptops.
Free would be nice!

TeamViewer looks like it might do the job, but no experience of it

--kiloran

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Remote access software

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 13th, 2021, 4:00 pm

kiloran wrote:Any recommendations for remote access software, so that I can remotely manage my sister's laptop if/when she has problems.

Free would be nice!

--kiloran

I've used TV quite a lot and can recommend it. High levels of security too.

RC

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 13th, 2021, 4:10 pm

My only experience is with Chrome Remote Desktop which I found to be somewhat inconsistent, great on certain OS platforms - unusable on others. I've been looking at TeamViewer recently too, but have no experience.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-remote-ac ... ls-2625161
15 Best Free Remote Access Software Tools
Remotely access computers for free with these programs
by Tim Fisher
Updated on May 12, 2021
Cont.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 13th, 2021, 5:09 pm

kiloran wrote:
Any recommendations for remote access software, so that I can remotely manage my sister's laptop if/when she has problems.

Free would be nice!

TeamViewer is free for home use, and is a superb piece of software - there's lots of bells and whistles under the hood, but for your specific 'remote-desktop' usage, it's simply a case of both users opening the utility, the one needing remote-help giving you their TeamViewer-session password (which changes each time it's run...), and you entering it at your end.

Seconds later, you'll be able to see and use their desktop in your TeamViewer window.

It's absolutely brilliant, and it can be downloaded for free here -

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/info/free-for-personal-use/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 13th, 2021, 5:30 pm

kiloran wrote:Windows 10 Home at both ends on HP laptops.

Quick Assist is built into Windows 10 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... f6a9040bf3

Never used it and from a brief reading of reviews is more basic than Teamviewer, but as you don't need to install anything it might be worth a go to see if it meets your needs.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » May 13th, 2021, 8:43 pm

I use QuickAssist, and while it isn't as nice as TeamViewer, not having to install or maintain it, and no concerns about suddenly deciding you're using it commercially makes up for a lot.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » May 13th, 2021, 8:46 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I've used TV quite a lot and can recommend it. High levels of security too.

RC

I'd question the high levels of security - you're fundamentally trusting TV if you leave it installed, and the product has had its fair share of security vulnerabilities.

If you must use it, there's a run without installing option - I wouldn't leave the client permanently installed.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 13th, 2021, 9:02 pm

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 13th, 2021, 9:16 pm

As other posters have recommended, don't bother with the others, just use Teamviewer.
I have been a user for many years, both the free 'families and friends' version and later when business took off, the chargeable version (identical package, just licensed differently).

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 14th, 2021, 12:59 am

I gave up on TeamViewer

I ran foul of their fair use policy by running some server software on a home PC that I had it installed on (can't remember precisely what it was - possibly mongo or postgres)
- but they took that to be "commercial" use and stopped everything on my account
I'd only been using it to access an old broken (screen failed) laptop that does service as a media store (from a bunch of various boxes) which should have been allowed even if it was from a commercial premises

They did eventually recant but it took weeks from when I sent my log file to them

In the intervening period I was unable to use it to access any of my computers for more than a minute
- installing and configuring VNC in 1 minute chunks got me past the one that was a problem

I now use Chrome Remote Desktop on most of them and if you are prepared to accept Google as a solution it has been excellent

-sd

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » May 14th, 2021, 10:23 am

Infrasonic wrote:https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/teamviewer_portable

The standard installer offers the option to run once rather than installing.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 14th, 2021, 11:46 am

xeny wrote:

Yep.

There's regular posters on here who are keen portable apps users though - so I was just posting that link for their benefit really. :)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 14th, 2021, 12:22 pm

servodude wrote:I now use Chrome Remote Desktop on most of them and if you are prepared to accept Google as a solution it has been excellent
-sd

Which OS' are you successfully running it on?

I ran into problems with W10 - remoting in from my Chromebook. Couldn't get the Linux kludge to work at all (that might be a container/VM issue),
Android access from my phone works first time without any problems, but who wants to look at a desktop on a phone?

I followed all the install / setup procedures to the letter (it's still possible I messed something up though...)

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 14th, 2021, 12:36 pm

kiloran wrote:Any recommendations for remote access software, so that I can remotely manage my sister's laptop if/when she has problems.

Free would be nice!

--kiloran

+1 for Teamviewer (personal user, mostly for sorting my sister out). I'm aware that there are some security vulnerabilities (and the cold calling scammers like to use it for nefarious remote access so it can get a bit of a bad name being associated with scammers), but I use it hopefully with my eyes open; I use their strongest password, and don't leave it running if I'm not using it. I have been caught by their Fair Use Policy for a personal user, when they tried to stop me as a personal user or make me pay, but a couple of e-mails/messages to them explaining what was happening and they reverted my account to personal/free.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » May 14th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
xeny wrote:

Yep.

There's regular posters on here who are keen portable apps users though - so I was just posting that link for their benefit really. :)

I can appreciate the convenience. My enthusiasm for downloading anything as security sensitive as remote control software from anywhere but the vendor is essentially nil - it just seems to add more risk that in this case is avoidable.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 14th, 2021, 6:31 pm

xeny wrote:I can appreciate the convenience. My enthusiasm for downloading anything as security sensitive as remote control software from anywhere but the vendor is essentially nil - it just seems to add more risk that in this case is avoidable.

Portableapps.com is a trusted source, as far as I'm concerned. In many cases even the download from the author's site may contain adware, but this is stripped out in the portable apps version. eg:

Portableapps.com wrote:Local Version Installer Warning: Previously, the local version of DVDStyler came with 'SweetPacks' and similar adware that would be installed even if you selected not to and was quite difficult to remove.....Our portable version does not have these issues as we do not permit adware in our packages.
https://portableapps.com/apps/music_vid ... r_portable

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”